Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

NPR
    Heifer International

And this isn't really technically a 'giving' thing, though I consider it that way: I loan money through Kiva.org. This is a microlending site that lets you loan money to entrepreneurs in poorer countries (mostly Africa, South America, Eastern Europe). I really think, for a variety of reasons, that microlending is the future of giving. And though I can't take a tax deduction for this, since I don't itemize, I wouldn't be able to anyway. Once one loan is repaid, you can just re-loan the money to someone else.

Comment

I give to my local church who distribute the funds to different organizations

Comment

I give to Goodwill, Greater Chicago Food Depository, Northern Illinois Food Bank, Animals Deserving of Proper Treatment (ADOPT), our local public library, and strangers in need.

Comment

Local church (I think that's part of the deal.)
          World Vision (We sponsor a little girl with the same birthday as our older daughter)
          Operation Smile (Our younger daughter is cleft affected)
          Lupus/Disabled Vets (whoever calls to pick up my stuff first)
          Last edited by 34saving; 03-14-2007, 07:25 PM. Reason: Added detail

Comment

Most of my charitable dollars goes to the Salvation Army. I also send money to Friends of the NRA in support of shooting programs!

Comment

I currently support:

National Rifle Association
              Virginia Citizens Defense League
              Susan G. Komen Foundation
              Special Operations Warrior Foundation
              My local church

Comment

I always support the SPCA, they can always use the funds to help shelter animals. I do it because I'm a dog lover, I can't stand to see dogs being put down because an owner neglects them.

Comment

I donate to animal shelters and the humane society.

Comment

United Way
                    Red Cross
                    Northern Illinois Food Bank
                    a local woman's/childrens shelter (household items)

I used to donate to the Humane Society, but they were sending me crap every month to try and get more donations (key chains, calendars, address lables, etc) and felt that the money they spent on marketing should be going to the animals, not trying to get more money. It's fine to send the occasional letter as a reminder "hey, remember us?", but this was way over the top. I'm going to find a local shelter around here and donate directly to them.

Oh, and I put change into the Salvation Army kettle during the holidays. Every one I see gets whatever change I have on me!

Comment

I donate to mayn animal organizations, and I get various trinkets from them too. HOwever I didnt need to buy a calendar for 07, and I will never have to worry about buying mailing labels.

Comment

Our church, both money and time
                        Freecycle (usually can tell from email who really needs stuff)
                        Local shelter for animals (goods, not cash)
                        Angel Tree (gifts)
                        Goodwill (goods, not cash)
                        Private donations of goods and cash (people found through our Pastor who really needa hand once in a while)

Comment

My church
                          Catholic Charities
                          my alma mater's athletic association (which really goes to the general fund)

Comment

Our church
                            Scottish Rite Hospital for Children
                            Salvation Army
                            United Way
                            University of Texas women's athletic general fund(Hook 'em)

Comment

Girl Scouts is my #1 organization. They had a huge impact in my life and they continue to impact the girls of today. I tend to just give time, when I can, but I ALWAYS buy cookies when they ask!

Susan G. Komen- I've done Race for the Cure for several years.

Goodwill- we usually donate our "stuff" here. Recently I've been rethinking this though. I don't like that they aren't non-profit. So maybe in the future I'll give it to the Salvation Army or a church.

Comment

I have a lot of "stuff" to donate, and I found out that the one of the SPCAs I support has a thrift shop. They will be getting old clothes, etc from here on out.

I never realized that Goodwill was not a nonprofit. As a tax preparer, I've had several clients write off "clothes to goodwill" as a noncash contribution.

I've never been one to give old clothes to the Salvation Army because they are a church. I don't believe in organized religion, and I'd feel like a hypocrite supporting it (kinda like a pro-lifer giving to Planned Parenthood)

Comment

Working...
                                X