Making Your Own Dog Food

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Making Your Own Dog Food

There is a big push now for premium dog foods and now there are a lot of fresh dog foods being sold. Those are quite pricey. After watching a special on Netflix on how dog food was really made, I decided to try my hand at making my dog her own food. And I have had to play around to find the best approach to this so here is what I learned. I started by see what the ingredients were in the fresh premium pet foods. Oh, chicken, beef, rice, carrots, broccoli, etc. Hmm....I can do that.
    I started shopping looking for "cheap meats" at the meat market/grocery store. Then I would cook a big batch of rice, add meats and some veggies. I know some recommend a Raw Diet but I just find more convenience in the cooked foods for us. She of course LOVED her meals. However she wolfed it down so vociferously that she would throw it up in a half hour! lol. So, now, I prepare all the ingredients and I put them in my food processor all together and it makes a very nice consistency of food. I make a big batch about every 2 weeks and I freeze it in quart size containers and now I have plenty ready when I need it. I also give her a daily vitamin. I have been doing this for months now and the vet says she looks very healthy. She loves her food and she can't wait to eat.

The easiest way for me to do the meats is to toss it in the crockpot. And, it's very easy to pull off the meat off any bones, etc. I feed her every edible piece, chicken skin, etc. I buy frozen veg such as broccoli, spinach , green beans, peas or carrots to add. I have also found that we can feed her our leftovers that go uneaten. If we have any leftover meats, I take the meats and wash all the seasonings off before I will use it. You would be surprised that you may have leftovers etc and even small amounts of those can be helpful to add to your dog's diet.

Not saying this is for everybody but works well for my pet. I enjoy doing it and my pet is thriving. And, I think there is a cost savings to that.

Agreed... I've been cooking for our dogs for 15 years now. I boil boneless chicken breast with brown rice and add pureed sweet potato. I used to add veggies, but our current dog just spits any bits of them out all over the house, heh, so I just stick with those three ingredients now. Then I either chop it all up with our kitchen scissors or puree it in the food processor and freeze it, just like you do (and I also do it in big 2 week batches and keep tiny frozen tupperwares for each day). I do leave kibble out at all times just because part of me is worried maybe there are vitamins in that which aren't in my food. I believe the home cooked diet did both of our dogs well. Our other pooch died of heart failure earlier this year due to a heart murmur (ie, not food related), and our current dog is 17 and is currently sick, but we don't know why yet... but the vet she is seeing is in absolute shock that she is 17 years old, says he's never seen a younger looking 17 year old, and I attribute that to her having gotten good human quality food for her whole life. And right? You look at some of these supposedly high quality canned foods, and the ingredients are HORRIFIC. They're creatures who need good food just like any of us do... I don't think "meat by-product" and corn filler is going to extend their lives.

A favorite recipe of our deceased pooch was what I called Chicken Pearrot. Chicken, brown rice, pears, and carrots. He loooooooved pears. Our other dog won't touch them and hates carrots. Funny how different they all are.

Comment

We do still give some kibble as you said. In the morning we mix in a bit of that. I want to keep that in her diet in case we couldn't make her food for some reason. I do feed her twice a day. We feed her main meal in the morning and then in the evening i give her a couple small scoops. She is too funny and in the evening if she has had that yet she will come over to us and look at us her with her big eyes, lol

Comment

I bought a good sized turkey and saved the giblets and leftovers to use for her next batch. At the meat market I can buy livers but i cannot stand to cook those! I know they are good for her but ugh, lol. A lot of times they will have a good sale on a big pack of chicken legs or thighs, etc. Mostly she gets chicken or beef which are the proteins we mostly eat. I also sometimes amp up the protein with eggs. I will make a scrambled eggs or hard boiled and throw those in. She seems tolerant of a variety of meats, veggies, rice, etc so i can give her some variety, which probably is very good for her. I will also buy canned beans, grean beans, etc no salt added and that is a convenience as well. On my rice cooker I have a Gaba brown rice setting which makes the rice more digestible.
        Last edited by Snicks; 12-06-2020, 07:21 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Snicks View Post
          On my rice cooker I have a Gaba brown rice setting which makes the rice more digestible.
          Do you have a Zojirushi rice cooker? I couldn't live without mine!

Comment

Originally posted by HundredK View Post

Do you have a Zojirushi rice cooker? I couldn't live without mine!
            OMG YES! I love that thing! When i was first looking at it, I thought oh it seems ridiculous to spend that much to cook rice but it is truly amazing and there is no other way to make great rice. I love it.

Comment

Funny you should bring this up.
              My girlfriend just made a batch of dog treats for our pup last week.
              He just loves them, and all the ingredients are natural.
              They were very inexpensive to make as well

Brian

Comment

Thanks for sharing this. I may give this a try.

Comment

I used to cook for our bichons they had insane amount of allergies throughout their lives but at the end they were allergic to everything while on chemo. I cooked for them and hated it. I hate cooking for my people now and to cook more might kill me. I gotta admit having a dog who can eat kirkland dog food makes life a lot cheaper and easier.
                  LivingAlmostLarge Blog

Comment

Originally posted by scfr View Post
                    Thanks for sharing this. I may give this a try.
                    And, it doesnt' have to be All or Nothing. You could give your dog half homemade and half regular dog food, etc.

Comment

Interesting thread. We cook food for our dog, but it has been to assist with some dietary challenges and as special meals for him, as a treat. We also rely on a high quality dry kibble fortified with the vitamins/minerals he might not get elsewhere.

We're very careful what we cook for him or feed as scraps. It's worth doing research to understand what foods are toxic (onions, garlic a definite no-no!!) or can be problematic if fed in quantity or frequency. Some of it is common sense, others, it's not.

For instance, things high in fats and oils can set off acute pancreatitis, esp in older dogs. So we use lean meats, chicken breast, plain salmon, unseasoned/unflavored rice, vegetables, etc. Worth noting our dog hates peas. He will spit them out. I always get a good laugh when he gets something with peas. His preferences are his preferences, I guess!

A lot of what we make for him we mix in with his dry kibble. I think he'd prefer we didn't do that, but, he needs to eat a balanced diet and that forces the issue of eating some kibble too.

Comment

Working...
                      X