Some Gas Saving Tips

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Some Gas Saving Tips

We have two cars. We always use the smaller one for running around town unless we need the bigger one to haul things. We used to use whichever one we felt like at the time without much thought, but realised we were spending an extra $50 a month because of all the gas the larger vehicle consumed.

I always turn off the car. I used to let it idle because I knew I would be back in a minute. One time I went into the store and starting talking with a friend. I came out an hour later to see I had left the car idling. What a waste.

We keep track of gas mileage. If the gas mileage drops unexpectedly, we know something is wrong. We have caught two potentially expensive repairs this way before they became expensive.

Re: Some Gas Saving Tips

I drive 64 miles one way to work 4 times a week, i have found that driving 60 mph saves quite a bit of gas. the speed limit is 70 mph but most people don't mind as long as i stay in the right lane.

Comment

The key to getting better gas mileage is to make sure that your car is properly maintained. You should be very serious about your auto care because your car's performance depends on it. You should always try to follow the manufacturer's recommended maintenance schedule. This is because a vehicle is designed to run a certain way and if you neglect it, the vehicle won't be as efficient.
      Last edited by jeffrey; 07-20-2009, 09:22 AM.

Comment

From my experience, I have seen filling gas at one pump makes a difference in your car performance or atleast in your mileage than changing the pumps for saving few cents. Find a pump which is closet and gives a competitive price and stick to it. I am lucky to have costco gas nearby which is always 10cents below other gas stations. I even get 2% back from costco as well.

Comment

Keep your tire pressure checked.

Find places closer for where you do go eg: a park a block away as opposed to the one 3 miles away. Closer movie theater as opposed to the one 20 min. away. Same wil restaurants. Get new favorites that are closer.

Don't go anywhere. (Hard to do but just try getting everyone to stay at home more and put some gas savings into home improvement, yard work, cleaning).

When you do go anywhere go the speed limit as much as you can unless you get some nut pushing your tailgate. I drive the neighorhoods with my dogs (yes an exciting thing) as they love rides, at certain times when no one around we drive 20 mph. We used to whiz by at 35 mph. The difference in gas is amazing and they tell me they get to enjoy the view more at this slower pace.

Comment

Originally posted by cuhoss View Post
            I drive 64 miles one way to work 4 times a week, i have found that driving 60 mph saves quite a bit of gas. the speed limit is 70 mph but most people don't mind as long as i stay in the right lane.
            By far the easiest and most effective way to save. I find it highly ironic that our nation is in a mess financially yet 90%+ of all drivers speed.

Comment

I've found that I can coast a good bit. I used to keep my foot on the gas out of habit while going down hill. Turns out that I can coast and my speed is basically the same.

Comment

Driving a manual is another good (and fun!) way to save on gas, unless you drive like an maniac.

I wouldn't want a stick if i did much city driving though.

Comment

I love the tips. Me myself is always rying to save every bit of gas when I travel like I don't accelerate too much, brake less and shift early. Thanks for sharing yours too.

Comment

Your driving habits can affect gas consumption a lot. If you accelerate fast and keep going from low to high speeds you will burn more gas I believe. try and drive a steady speed as much as possible. I think there are some optimal speeds for gas mileage, but I dont know them off hand.

I guess thats why highway driving burns less gas then like city driving right?

Comment

Originally posted by junosama View Post
                      Your driving habits can affect gas consumption a lot. If you accelerate fast and keep going from low to high speeds you will burn more gas I believe. try and drive a steady speed as much as possible. I think there are some optimal speeds for gas mileage, but I dont know them off hand.

For both the optimal speed reason you mention and also that so much fuel is spent on stopping, idling, and then accelerating again. I've heard that the optimum speed is generally 55-60, and I can attest to that myself. My car gets by far the best mileage on two-lane highways (55-60 mph) vs Interstates (70 mph). At both 55 and 70, your vehicle is going to be in the highest gear, but at 70 the tach will be much higher (greater wind resistance is a factor too).

It's why the Carter administration reduced speed limits to 55 during the energy crises of the 70s.

Comment

Originally posted by junosama View Post

That is good advice when you are on reasonably level ground, but if fuel savings is your goal, don't give it gas to maintain speed when going up a hill. Let the speed drop 5 or 10 miles an hour. Cruise control on hills is especially wasteful.

Comment

QUESTION: does it save gas or waste gas filling up when the tank is less than 1/4 full

Should I fill up when closer to half empty?

Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by shultice24 View Post
                            Driving a manual is another good (and fun!) way to save on gas, unless you drive like an maniac.

I wouldn't want a stick if i did much city driving though.
                            If you're good enough at pacing yourself, you won't be shifting too much. The trick is to find the average speed of traffic and just drive that speed. Refuse to give in to the stop and go mentality, don't go with the flow, be the flow. Don't I sound all philosophical?

Incidentally, driving a manual is more than just a good way to save gas, you can really make use of those gears to save fuel. Coasting, upshifting early (I go to second at 10, 3rd at 18, 4th at 25, and 5th at 32), and what is known to us hypermilers as DFCO, where the fuel injectors are shut off during deceleration, are some of the biggest advantages of manual shifting.

Automatics have this major inefficiency at speeds below 40-ish, when the torque converter locks up.

Comment

1)Just Stay Home. PetMom beat me to it.

2)Plan your trips in a circle-about format if you can - no unneccesary criss-crossing town or backtracking.

3)Coasting is good - as long as you are in gear. Out of gear coasting (neutral) is said to be NOT SAFE.

4)Take all unnecessary stuff (weight) out of your vehicle.

5)If you're hauling something make sure you create little drag. Meaning if you can, put the stuff inside the vehicle, or if not, make sure it's down low, and/or not squared off on the front so as to create wind-resistance. Think scooped & streamlined packing.

6)Same theory as #5 - keep the windows up if you can.

7)THEY* say that driving without the air-conditioner running is better on gas mileage. (This is one cool sister over here and I won't be trying this out! I keep my AC on as much as possible - in the car & at home! *THEY want to be hot? I say let them eat cake! Not me, baby! I will save & be kind to the planet elsewhere.)

8)If possible - group your errands/driving into one or two days a week.

Comment

Working...
                              X