Closet and pantry doors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Closet and pantry doors

My family thinks I am nuts because I want the closet and pantry doors shut (cabinets also). I tell them it costs more to keep the house cool or heated. They laugh at me.

So, yesterday out of boredom and the need to prove my point, I got out the measuring tape. We have 580 square feet of unheated spaces in pantry and closets in our home. I did not measure the cabinets.

Now I have given the girls a math problem. If it cost $100 a month to heat 3000 square feet, how much a month does it cost to heat 580 square feet. I am trying to get them to understand where I am coming from.

And, now that I am sitting here, I just remembered 2 closets I missed.......

That makes a lot of sense and I would have never thought of it before. You are right though it's just a waste of money to heat that space. Thanks for pointing it out.

Comment

We have heat ducts in all the closets and in the pantry also.

Comment

I'm with you - I think that's a good idea.

Comment

wow.... that has never occured to me!!!!! thanks for such a great thought!!!

Comment

I do the same thing! We only have about 36 square feet of closet floor space. Don't know the cubic feet as two of the closets are under sloped dormer roof with one short wall. (More steps to the math problem for you kids ) There is a half bath under the sloped roof, too. I can really feel the temperature difference in both winter and summer in these shut off spaces.

Really it's just a variation on the advice to close off and not heat rooms you aren't using.
            "There is some ontological doubt as to whether it may even be possible in principle to nail down these things in the universe we're given to study." --text msg from my kid

"It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men." --Frederick Douglass

Comment

Originally posted by Ima saver View Post
              We have heat ducts in all the closets and in the pantry also.
              So do we, but I just close those vents. We also have a spare bedroom that we keep closed off when not is use.

Comment

I thought the reason those rooms had doors was to keep em shut..for cleanliness if not heat!

especially the cupboards with dishes and the like...I used to have stuff stacked on the counter due to lack of space (or too much stuff) anyway, the stacked stuff got dusty..who wants dusty plates? the doors don't just make it look nicer they make it cleaner imo...

hope the family gets the point.

Comment

lol...I have a half bath downstairs that has no HVAC vent in it. I have to keep the door at least a little ajar in winter or I get a 'cold bum' welcome when I go it to use the bathroom!!!!

I guess the same idea works in reverse too!!!

Comment

That would explain the term, getting the 'bums rush', then??

Comment

yeah i have a vent in our closet....never understood why...were they concerned my clothes would be uncomfortable?. )

Comment

Working...
                      X