The Saving Advice Forums - A classic personal finance community.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Having the right parents helps....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Having the right parents helps....

I like to think that America is a place where anyone can get ahead, but it's pretty undeniable that having the right parents really, really helps you build wealth.

james.c.hendrickson@gmail.com

100% having the right connections and support system helps anyone.

These men have also built empires that took a lot of risk and hard work and probably a little luck (even with the help).

Comment

This is called "privilege".

I have my own story about this. I was adopted at birth by parents who are solidly upper-class, and 4 decades later I am still doing my best to follow in their footsteps. The identity of my birth families was concealed from me for 35 years. My ancestral identity was information I needed to uncover for my own reasons, and so I did.

I am the tale of two identities. My birth families are very poor and their experience is unlike anything I've seen in my own family. They have experienced so much sadness, poverty, and destruction. I owe my privilege to my parents, the ones who adopted me and raised me in a loving home where resources were always in abundance. Otherwise, I'm not sure I would have broken free. Now, don't mistake my views for being pro-adoption, I am vehemently opposed to it for other reasons. But it can illustrate the idea that there is a very strong "nurture" component to being successful in various ways, and coming from wealth is usually a good leg-up in life.

Comment

Jenn_jenn, you're right. And where I come down on this is...just some people are better at acquiring wealth than others. They just focus on it more, develop expertise in it, etc. For example, I would argue most people on this forums are at least slightly better than the public at large when it comes to personal finances.

Where the danger comes in for society is when billionaires start to influence policy for their own good, as opposed to the common good - that often results in resentment and social instability. That's where the real danger is when you look at wealth concentration. Its not the fact that some have less and some have more per say, its the rules and regulations that mega rich attempt to implement so they maintain their class standing.

Comment

We're all running the same race.
          Some just start half way through, and with better shoes.

Brian

Comment

Originally posted by bjl584 View Post
            We're all running the same race.
            Some just start half way through, and with better shoes.
            https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4K5fbQ1-zps

We don't all start at the same starting line. We just don't.
            Steve

* Despite the high cost of living, it remains very popular.
            * Why should I pay for my daughter's education when she already knows everything?
            * There are no shortcuts to anywhere worth going.

Comment

Nope we start without shoes and the line is 10 feet back. I am a firm believer in trying to do some sort of equity because now it's more socio-economic than race...
              LivingAlmostLarge Blog

Comment

Originally posted by LivingAlmostLarge View Post
                Nope we start without shoes and the line is 10 feet back. I am a firm believer in trying to do some sort of equity because now it's more socio-economic than race...
                Sooo...lets talk about that. Usually programs that seek to increase equality do it through the preferential treatment of socioeconomically disadvantaged people. For example, African-Americans, women, etc.

My concern with these sorts of programs is they select someone primarily on the basis of their membership in a protected class, rather than on their actual qualifications. This can be counter productive for society as a whole.

Comment

Originally posted by james.hendrickson View Post

Usually programs that seek to increase equality do it through the preferential treatment of socioeconomically disadvantaged people. .
                  Exactly. Because they’re the ones that need help.
                  Steve

* Despite the high cost of living, it remains very popular.
                  * Why should I pay for my daughter's education when she already knows everything?
                  * There are no shortcuts to anywhere worth going.

Comment

Originally posted by james.hendrickson View Post

Sooo...lets talk about that. Usually programs that seek to increase equality do it through the preferential treatment of socioeconomically disadvantaged people. For example, African-Americans, women, etc.

My concern with these sorts of programs is they select someone primarily on the basis of their membership in a protected class, rather than on their actual qualifications. This can be counter productive for society as a whole.
                    So what would be a good way to do it? I also think they need to reform people who don't make an income but have large assets qualifying for the subsidies for Obamacare. We just need to cover more people through the government system. Easiest thing would be to cover everyone under 18 and get people used to it. I mean NOW people are hooked on pre-exisiting conditions and covering your child to age 26? Is that really a child at 26?
                    LivingAlmostLarge Blog

Comment

Some people spend their weekends practicing and preparing for the race while others don't.

Comment

Working...
                      X