Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Building a queen size bed frame

I made this the other day.
    Store bought stuff is overpriced, basically junk, and most of it is backordered with no in-stock date insight for months to come.
    For less than $150 in material I made something out of solid wood that would probably cost a couple thousand to buy.

I purposely made the headboard taller than normal for a couple reasons.
    I'm installing LED lighting under the shelf on top, and I wanted the headboard to cover the majority of the wall where the bed is going.

This will be a perfect rustic addition to our cabin.

It still needs a few coats of poly.
    Then I need to figure out the logistics of transporting it.
    It's built to come apart like a store bought frame would be, but it's pretty heavy to say the least.
    Brian

I'm giving this posting three clapping smiley guys.

One for DIY, and one for being mad frugal and one for solving the supply chain problem.
    james.c.hendrickson@gmail.com

Comment

Very nice!

Comment

OMG that is amazing.
        LivingAlmostLarge Blog

Comment

Looks great !

I made two sets of bunk beds twin on top, full on bottom for our cabin, using standard lumber like that. Rather than slats and a box spring I did a simple 2x8 frame with plywood bottom and laid a mattress right on top of the plywood.
          Makes for a nice firm bed and I sleep like a baby on them.

Comment

Originally posted by Fishindude77 View Post
            Looks great !

I made two sets of bunk beds twin on top, full on bottom for our cabin, using standard lumber like that. Rather than slats and a box spring I did a simple 2x8 frame with plywood bottom and laid a mattress right on top of the plywood.
            Makes for a nice firm bed and I sleep like a baby on them.
            I considered using a solid sheet of plywood, but the 2x4's were less expensive, and since I have a box spring they will work just fine for support
            Brian

Comment

Before we had DD3, DW convinced me to move up to a king size bed -- "you won't get crowded off the bed while I'm co-sleeping with the baby!" she says.... Now the baby gets half of the bed, DW gets most of the remainder, and I still remain with 1ft of space on the far end.

Anyway, I'm not handy, but we met someone who was & he built the new bed (and side tables) for us with a nearly identical design (not such a tall headboard) with stock lumber. For being very simple & inexpensive, it's pretty nice.

Are you going to stain yours at all, or keep it the natural color?
              "Praestantia per minutus" ... "Acta non verba"

Comment

Originally posted by kork13 View Post
                Before we had DD3, DW convinced me to move up to a king size bed -- "you won't get crowded off the bed while I'm co-sleeping with the baby!" she says.... Now the baby gets half of the bed, DW gets most of the remainder, and I still remain with 1ft of space on the far end.

Anyway, I'm not handy, but we met someone who was & he built the new bed (and side tables) for us with a nearly identical design (not such a tall headboard) with stock lumber. For being very simple & inexpensive, it's pretty nice.

Are you going to stain yours at all, or keep it the natural color?
                I'm going to keep it natural wood color and just put a few coats of semi-gloss poly on it.
                It will seal it and bring out some of the character in the wood.

The room where this is going has a dark floor and a dark wood ceiling, so I think the contrast of the lighter colored bed frame will really look sweet.
                Brian

Comment

Originally posted by bjl584 View Post

I'm going to keep it natural wood color and just put a few coats of semi-gloss poly on it.
                  It will seal it and bring out some of the character in the wood.

The room where this is going has a dark floor and a dark wood ceiling, so I think the contrast of the lighter colored bed frame will really look sweet.
                  That is really nice quality and sounds like it's going to look great. Please share a pic when it is all done and placed in the bedroom.

Comment

Originally posted by Petunia 100 View Post

That is really nice quality and sounds like it's going to look great. Please share a pic when it is all done and placed in the bedroom.
                    I definitely will.
                    I'm planning on taking it to our cabin this weekend, so I'll have some pictures to share early next week.
                    Brian

Comment

Here's a few pictures of the bed in the room at the cabin.
                      The LED lights are installed and look pretty cool.
                      The dog sure loves the new sleeping arrangements.

Brian

Comment

Working...
                      X