Any crafters with ideas to share??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Any crafters with ideas to share??

Our family just joined our historial club. In the spring and in the fall they have a big tado at the fair ground with booths. My daughters have decided we will do a booth to sell items. So, we need ideas on what to make and sell.
    All items must be 1800's. They want to do a themed craft booth, "Little House on the Prairie". So, we have to dress the part-which is no problem, we already have period clothing. We thought we may want to make and sell bonnets, but we need other items as well.

The first event is in April, the next is in October. Sometimes they also do a July one. Its a big deal--schools even bus in kids for it. Usually a Thurs-Sunday thing. People come from all over and camp there--there are also reinactments as well.

Rules:
    no electric at the booth
    no "modern" antiques--ie can't sell a plastic ax, as no plastic then....
    if you have a craft booth, then you have to stick to crafts--so no selling of "non craft" items on the side.
    dress and act the part. Rules even say if it is slow and we want to read while at our booth, then we have to be reading a book of that time-such as Dickens, not Harliquen...

So, any ideas for items Ma and the girls would have had or made that we can make and resell????

We can sew, my girls knit and I crochet.

Cat's eyes kits
    I think that is what they are called. You glue popsicle sticks in an "x" and wrap yarn around it. You could use two small sticks instead of the popsicle sticks and tie odd lengths of yarn together to make it pretty. When I made them when I was little we used that yarn that has lots of different colors in it (varigated, I think it is what it is called). But, they didn't have that kind of yarn back then.

Comment

I've seen those. Do they serve a purpose?? I always wondered-I thought maybe they were to hang on the wall when done.
      I just found some black and white fabric I forgot I had. Its kind of splotchy. I may see if I can make a pattern and use it to make some small stuffed horses. It looks like I might have 4 yards....

So that now gives us:
      bonnets
      cat eyes
      stuffed toy horses

Comment

I googled "Laura Ingalls Wilder" crafts and found these two things I thought were interesting and easy:
        Make Carrie's Button String - Little House Pioneer Activity
        How to Make a Braided Rug - Little House Pioneer Activity

Here are some recipes:
        Little House on the Prairie Recipes

Comment

Since you crochet you could always make shawls or baby blankets.

Comment

Thread crochet items. One of the Laura Ingalls Wilder houses/museums displays a thread doily or table-runner type thing that was crocheted by Laura. I saw a picture of it on the internet once; it was very pretty. I think the books mention the Ingalls girls crocheting lengths of lacy trim for dresses.

Knitted scarves, mittens, or socks.

Comment

At the thrift store in the hobby section I got a $5 "Cutter quilt". I thought I might make some Christmas stockings from it. Its a king size, so am also open to other ideas as well for the quilt, and I will start keeping my eyes open for more "cutter quilts" as well.

Comment

What is a "cutter quilt?

I have no idea what the purpose for them was. I know we made them several times in vacation bible school. I think they were just a craft that was cheap and easy to do. I do think they were supposed to have some sort of meaning or something, but I have no clue what. It might have been a way for people back then to use up bits of yarn (or even a way store the bits of yarn until there was a use for it) and create a colorful decoration.

Comment

What is a "cutter quilt?

A cutter quilt is an old damaged quilt-that is pretty much lost its value due to the damage. But, you can cut parts of it out to use for crafts, such as Christmas stockings or backing for old photos....

Comment

Awww... Thanks.

Comment

my aunt is in an 1800's southern reinactment division and they're always doing that kinda stuff - i've seen them sell real homemade bread loafs, large handmade/handstitched quilts, bonnets, and even hand churned butter (churned on the spot and dipped out for the customers).

Comment

County health won't let us sell food. But, we can make it on the spot and GIVE it away as demo samples. Now, you tell me does that make any sense?? Is the food less likely to have germs if it is free as opposed to if we charged for it???

Comment

What about quiliting simple lap quilts? One of my friends made these from scraps and her sewing machine and they are cozy and quick to make.

Comment

Hand-dipped candles sell well at one of our state parks that sells period crafts.

Comment

what about jam? its so easy to make - if you know someone with fruit trees then it won't cost (hardly) anything either.

Comment

Working...
                              X