Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gailete
    replied
    I suggest the Dave Ramsey books for someone in your situation.
    Unfortunately Dave Ramsey would be out of the question for him on the same argument as GA. He doesn't believe in higher powers or God apparently.

Leave a comment:

• FLA
    replied
    Originally posted by Slot101 View Post
    Yeah, screwing my closest friend out of 15 thousand dollars isn't quite comparable to a corporation worth 12 figures. We can get into this whole thing more but really, I didn't join for someone to explain the moral argument, I came to ask how to deal with my debt.

You got your answer. WORK and work hard. I suggest the Dave Ramsey books for someone in your situation.

Leave a comment:

• disneysteve
    replied
    You haven't taken the most basic steps to fix your problem.

1. When you find yourself in a hole, stop digging. You are deep in debt from gambling but you continue to gamble. STOP!

2. You stated in your first post that you have no income. Fix that. Go out today and find a job. And put every penny of your income toward paying off your debt.

If you aren't willing to do both of those things, there is nothing anyone can do to help you.

Leave a comment:

• Petunia 100
    replied
    How in any way is it an appropriate response to sarcastically make fun of someone in this situation?

And no, I never said I could make my money back that way nor is it even remotely feasible. I'm up all time in poker as in I've played 10 times and I'm up 300 dollars. I've made it very clear that I've lost **** loads of money playing blackjack which I've played countless thousands of hands, I'm not sure how your post isn't even remotely reflective of what I said not to mention just downright inappropriate.
    Yes, it is clear that you have gambled and lost a great deal of money you do not even have. Yet you continue gambling.

You don't have a money problem; you have an addiction problem.

Best wishes to you.

Leave a comment:

• Gailete
    replied
    Without a 'moral' arguement, I can't understand why screwing your friend out of $15K as opposed to trying to screw MC out of the same amount assuming they would give you a credit card that you could dump that amount on and then immediately declare bankruptcy. Somewhere inside you must have a few 'morals' left that you don't want to do this to a friend, so why do it to an entity just because they have buckets of money? Not like they did anything to you.

Your arguments make no sense at all. Just like excuses for not wanting to get help for your gambling problem. Gamblers are very good at making excuses. My dad felt it was more important than to provide for his 5 children, and more than even provide for them, he just disappeared out of our lives. I haven't seen him in 44 years and for most of them I never even knew where he was, and a lot of that involved his gambling and his selfishness that the only one that mattered was himself. At some point you have to drop the excuses, admit you have a problem, go anywhere necessary for help so that you don't find yourself lonely, 3000 miles from your family that no longer cares if you live or die. I suppose that you will have an excuse for why this won't happen to you either. But that is okay. If you want to pay off this bill, then get a job or a second one if you already have one, earn the money to pay your friend back.

Leave a comment:

• bjl584
    replied
    Yeah, screwing my closest friend out of 15 thousand dollars isn't quite comparable to a corporation worth 12 figures. We can get into this whole thing more but really, I didn't join for someone to explain the moral argument, I came to ask how to deal with my debt.
    No moral argument.
    The cold hard fact is that the debt is not legally yours.
    If you feel an obligation to pay him back, then you need to man up and do it. Stop gambling and start grinding. Occupy all your thoughts, time, and energy to making money (the legit way) and paying back your friend. Making excuses, rationalizations, and blaming MasterCard won't accomplish that goal.

Good luck.

Leave a comment:

• Slot101
    replied
    Originally posted by Gailete View Post
    So you are still gambling. You have got a problem and I wasn't aware that GA was a religious organization (other than acknowledging that there is a higher power) - that is just an excuse for not getting help. But then you don't want help real help to pay off the debt and that has come out loud and clear. You don't want 'moral' arguments. Sad, sad, sad. I have no help for you and even if I didn't, what is the point? You will continue to gamble, you will continue to get in debt because of it, you will continue to look for the easy ways out. In life for something like this, there is NO easy way out.
    It requires you accept a higher power is the only way to get over your addiction. No, I am not giving up control to something I don't believe in.
    Originally posted by Petunia 100 View Post
    Well, there you go. Just win at black jack and poker, then pay off your debt. Easy peasy.
    How in any way is it an appropriate response to sarcastically make fun of someone in this situation?

And no, I never said I could make my money back that way nor is it even remotely feasible. I'm up all time in poker as in I've played 10 times and I'm up 300 dollars. I've made it very clear that I've lost **** loads of money playing blackjack which I've played countless thousands of hands, I'm not sure how your post isn't even remotely reflective of what I said not to mention just downright inappropriate.

Leave a comment:

• Slot101
    replied
    Originally posted by bjl584 View Post
    As long as we're not caring, then I'd suggest that you tell your friend that you don't care about the debt that is on his credit card. Tell him that the debt is his problem. He will learn a valuable lesson.

Leave a comment:

• Petunia 100
    replied
    Might sound bad, but I don't care too much about the moral aspect of filing bankruptcy. I don't care all that much about Mastercard being out 15k. You can't tell me filing bankruptcy has no effect on me, it has huge effects. But it is something I want to do if possible. If it is impossible for me to clear this debt via bankruptcy because it's on a friends card, then that's the preferable answer to me over moral arguments.

My username means something you wouldn't likely be able to guess. I gamble on BJ. I'm up all time on Poker and decent at that and it's the only other thing I play but 99% Blackjack.

I don't like gamblers anonymous because like AA it's a religious organization, and there's really no other gambler help group.
    Well, there you go. Just win at black jack and poker, then pay off your debt. Easy peasy.

Leave a comment:

• Gailete
    replied
    Might sound bad, but I don't care too much about the moral aspect of filing bankruptcy. I don't care all that much about Mastercard being out 15k. You can't tell me filing bankruptcy has no effect on me, it has huge effects. But it is something I want to do if possible. If it is impossible for me to clear this debt via bankruptcy because it's on a friends card, then that's the preferable answer to me over moral arguments.

My username means something you wouldn't likely be able to guess. I gamble on BJ. I'm up all time on Poker and decent at that and it's the only other thing I play but 99% Blackjack.

I don't like gamblers anonymous because like AA it's a religious organization, and there's really no other gambler help group.
    So you are still gambling. You have got a problem and I wasn't aware that GA was a religious organization (other than acknowledging that there is a higher power) - that is just an excuse for not getting help. But then you don't want help real help to pay off the debt and that has come out loud and clear. You don't want 'moral' arguments. Sad, sad, sad. I have no help for you and even if I didn't, what is the point? You will continue to gamble, you will continue to get in debt because of it, you will continue to look for the easy ways out. In life for something like this, there is NO easy way out.

Leave a comment:

• bjl584
    replied
    As long as we're not caring, then I'd suggest that you tell your friend that you don't care about the debt that is on his credit card. Tell him that the debt is his problem. He will learn a valuable lesson.

Leave a comment:

• Slot101
    replied
    You had your fun and now you can't pay the consequences so you want to file bankruptcy? Am I getting this right? You think if you get this debt all in your name, you can get rid of it all with bankruptcy and walk away from all your responsibilities. That in and of itself is a gamble. As the others asked, how are you paying your share right now? Tapping that line of credit or the bank of mom and dad?

My mind boggles at the thought that a student apparently with no job having this much debt. My suggestions, and it would probably be very unpopular. You should be at the end of semester currently. You are now done with college (I can't believe a HS kid would be this bad off, but who knows?). Pack up and go find the highest paying full time job you can find. Live as frugally as possible (live like a pauper) until this money is paid back -- don't try to dump it in the laps of those that loaned it to you. You broke your promise, they didn't.

Once your bills are paid off, then if you want to save for college again do so and pick up where you left off. Oh yes, you should seek out the nearest Gamblerís Anonymous meeting. Anyone that gambles, AND LOSES $15K needs to go to meetings because you have a problem.

I just realized what your screen name is and that tells me even more about the gambling unless you are someone that makes things that refer to put part B into slot A and I don't think that is it. Please get help before you destroy your life and you are too young for that. Of course, no one can force you to get help, but with this debt hanging over your head, how many lottery tickets have you bought this month? How many times have you gambled with your line of credit, etc. It should be zero. Some people can take it or leave it, but if you can't leave it, you especially need to get help to leave it.

Leave a comment:

• Gailete
    replied
    I just realized what your screen name is and that tells me even more about the gambling unless you are someone that makes things that refer to put part B into slot A and I don't think that is it. Please get help before you destroy your life and you are too young for that. Of course, no one can force you to get help, but with this debt hanging over your head, how many lottery tickets have you bought this month? How many times have you gambled with your line of credit, etc. It should be zero. Some people can take it or leave it, but if you can't leave it, you especially need to get help to leave it.

Leave a comment:

• 97guns
    replied
    It's easy to rack up huge balances when your young, you have no concept of credit, it's your first card and it literally feels like you've won the lottery

Leave a comment:

• Gailete
    replied
    It's gambling debt. We are both paying, we are covering minimum payments. TBH I want to file bankruptcy and just move on with my life afterwards, but I'm not allowed to because all of the debt is in his name.
    You had your fun and now you can't pay the consequences so you want to file bankruptcy? Am I getting this right? You think if you get this debt all in your name, you can get rid of it all with bankruptcy and walk away from all your responsibilities. That in and of itself is a gamble. As the others asked, how are you paying your share right now? Tapping that line of credit or the bank of mom and dad?

My mind boggles at the thought that a student apparently with no job having this much debt. My suggestions, and it would probably be very unpopular. You should be at the end of semester currently. You are now done with college (I can't believe a HS kid would be this bad off, but who knows?). Pack up and go find the highest paying full time job you can find. Live as frugally as possible (live like a pauper) until this money is paid back -- don't try to dump it in the laps of those that loaned it to you. You broke your promise, they didn't.

Once your bills are paid off, then if you want to save for college again do so and pick up where you left off. Oh yes, you should seek out the nearest Gamblerís Anonymous meeting. Anyone that gambles, AND LOSES $15K needs to go to meetings because you have a problem.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X