Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What? You Expect Me To Pay That Back?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • What? You Expect Me To Pay That Back?



    Hat tip: Ringitplus.
    james.c.hendrickson@gmail.com
    202.468.6043

  • #2
    Sad but true. That's funny in a sad sort of way.
    Steve

    * Despite the high cost of living, it remains very popular.
    * Why should I pay for my daughter's education when she already knows everything?
    * There are no shortcuts to anywhere worth going.

    Comment


    • #3
      This issue is a huge pet peeve of mine! I saved and sacrificed to pay for my kids to go to college; others could have done the same.

      Comment


      • #4
        The disconnect is amazing. i paid off my loans as well as a parent loan for my kids too.
        I recently was reading through a forum on this subject and was surprised at the responses. So many seemed to view education as a product that if it did NOT fit your needs simply return to Amazon. LOL

        Most in this particular conversation were mad that they did not get the job or the salary they somehow expected, So it was the colleges fault..... the program was not strong enough.
        Seriously it was funny to see the discussion. I am not even talking about those whom took odd or obscure majors but basics. So since their own "skill" or perhaps attitude has only landed a lesser job they feel they should not have to pay for what they NOW call a " sub par" education.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Smallsteps View Post
          Most in this particular conversation were mad that they did not get the job or the salary they somehow expected, So it was the colleges fault..... the program was not strong enough.
          Seriously it was funny to see the discussion. I am not even talking about those whom took odd or obscure majors but basics. So since their own "skill" or perhaps attitude has only landed a lesser job they feel they should not have to pay for what they NOW call a " sub par" education.
          I don't recall the part where the tuition bill or loan agreement came with any guarantee of future income.

          One problem that I have seen over the years, which really isn't entirely the fault of the student, is that the job market changes over time, and sometimes fairly quickly. When you are a Jr in high school and every story on the news is about the nursing shortage and how we need more people going into nursing and how there are tons of nurse job openings, so a bunch of people decide to pursue nursing degrees. Fast forward 6 years when all of those newly minted nurses are graduating and conditions have changed, the market has contracted, and it's nearly impossible to find a nursing job. I do sympathize with folks like that.
          Steve

          * Despite the high cost of living, it remains very popular.
          * Why should I pay for my daughter's education when she already knows everything?
          * There are no shortcuts to anywhere worth going.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by disneysteve View Post

            I don't recall the part where the tuition bill or loan agreement came with any guarantee of future income.

            One problem that I have seen over the years, which really isn't entirely the fault of the student, is that the job market changes over time, and sometimes fairly quickly. When you are a Jr in high school and every story on the news is about the nursing shortage and how we need more people going into nursing and how there are tons of nurse job openings, so a bunch of people decide to pursue nursing degrees. Fast forward 6 years when all of those newly minted nurses are graduating and conditions have changed, the market has contracted, and it's nearly impossible to find a nursing job. I do sympathize with folks like that.
            it can also be Where the jobs are...perhaps the nurse issue was filled in one area but if you relocate there may still be many openings. Often these stories never make it clear as they want to be One size Fits All information.
            I knew a couple of people whom may have been considered "professional students" were going to school as they were on programs like welfare. Our State told them "pursue this degree as we see a need or growth in this field" ... then as graduation approached the levels of openings or growth changed and so state would often say "ok lets go this way" adding on more schooling.
            One lady finished like 75% of at least 3 programs in the time i knew her.

            I also worked in retail and some would go to school based on some article saying "careers with a lot of growth" or "best paying" careers with least amount of time in school.
            Both recipes for disaster.
            Anyone considering a lifelong career should try to get first hand reality of what they are signing up for. As for trends No a person may not have control but certainly could research for example how many people are already in the pipeline for this career. What is the turnover rate/ maybe even average age looking to retirements.

            A person who went through a program based on this type of choice and HATED what the real job was going to be like so he returned to retail and complained as much as possible that he should not have to pay his loans. Following news stories especially regarding trends/ careers that are often months or even year behind the curve.

            In the discussion I read i was looking for some sort of perspective that changed my view but seriously was embarrassed for these people putting on display their total "victim" card mentality regarding what their schooling did for them.
            Last edited by Smallsteps; 09-12-2019, 06:01 AM.

            Comment


            • #7
              I never think it's okay to think you shouldn't have to repay your loans just because your education didn't get you where you thought it would. You borrowed the money. You need to repay the money. Period. The politicians who think student loans should be forgiven are whackos. Even if one of them gets elected, I don't see that actually happening. A lower interest rate or more favorable repayment terms, maybe, but not complete erasure of the debts. That will just make the problem 1,000 times worse going forward with unlimited borrowing because there will then be precedent for never having to repay your loans.
              Steve

              * Despite the high cost of living, it remains very popular.
              * Why should I pay for my daughter's education when she already knows everything?
              * There are no shortcuts to anywhere worth going.

              Comment


              • #8
                ...and if they want to charge interest, ok but it shouldn't compound and balloon the principal. That is what I'd like to see them do, not forgive loans. Maybe get rid of forbearance too, you have to pay something no matter how small so your balance keeps shrinking. I mean come on who can't afford at the least $20/mo! That's better than nothing.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Thrif-t View Post
                  ...and if they want to charge interest, ok but it shouldn't compound and balloon the principal. That is what I'd like to see them do, not forgive loans. Maybe get rid of forbearance too, you have to pay something no matter how small so your balance keeps shrinking. I mean come on who can't afford at the least $20/mo! That's better than nothing.
                  I am always amused by those i know that are going for forbearance because it is not helping them.
                  Had a person whom was paying while working then was laid off and applied for forbearance. I knew for a fact he had 8000 in savings and unemployment and could make his payments with that until he found a replacement job but he chose instead to push his payments down the road. Nope could not AFFORD that but took 2 vacations to Vegas in that time between jobs.
                  Now he has a much better job but he is still making minimum payments
                  WTH? I would throw every dime extra i had to my loans when i was paying. Mine disappeared in less then a 1/3 of time the loan had been set up as.

                  I honestly think he is hoping that one of these "forget about it, we will erase your debt" candidates wins.
                  As people kick it down the road they seem to get angrier about " it was so long ago" it was so long ago because you kicked the can down the road.

                  Comment

                  Working...
                  X