This is part of the problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by neatdesign View Post
    However, cash advances have no grace period. The interest starts accruing the minute a cash advance posts to your account. Not so with purchases made to your credit card. On those you're only charged interest if you don't pay in full every month.
    Yes, that is correct. Christine is not presently paying her balance in full every month, so is not enjoying a grace period on purchases.

Comment

Originally posted by neatdesign View Post
      Almost without exception, cash advances are at a very high interest rate AND the interest compounds DAILY, not monthly. This is bad news for someone trying to get out of debt.

Also, if the OP already owes a balance on the Wells Fargo account (which it sounds like she does), then she's... what? Taking a cash advance in order to increase that balance and owe MORE money on the same account? That makes no sense. If she can't afford her current payments, she'll be less likely to if her balances (and thus her minimum payments) go UP.

If the OP is late on her credit card payments, then her APRs probably skyrocketed by the second missed payment, if not the first. For all we know, her cash advance APR is 29.99% -- that's the penalty APR for many credit cards out there. So 29.99% APR interest that compounds daily... OUCH.

Another thing to consider is that most credit cards apply your payments to your lower APR charges first. Only amounts in excess of the minimum payment are applied towards the higher APR .

When taking a cash advance from your credit card, it also can't be directly applied towards your debt. That would require taking the advance and depositing it in your checking, then writing a check back to the credit card. If someone isn't making their minimum payment, how likely is it that they will actually use the money as intended?

The most important thing to consider , however, is this; If the accounts are past due, you can't GET a cash advance (or charge anything for that matter) until the accounts are made current.

Comment

The thread title:

This is part of the problem
        Christine's later quote:

I'm afraid I'll use it and that's the last thing I need to do.
        which is the other half of the problem. Christine doesn't have the discipline to have even the first credit card. She's the ideal customer for Bank of America, who (in my opinion) rides those with no willpower until they break, then expects them to give up their lifeblood to pay back the loans they should never have been given in the first place. Of course, if BofA makes a mistake, they need the rest of us they haven't been riding to bail them out.

Sorry for yet another rant.

Comment

Originally posted by Baby_nurse View Post
          The most important thing to consider , however, is this; If the accounts are past due, you can't GET a cash advance (or charge anything for that matter) until the accounts are made current.
          You'd think so, wouldn't you? It makes sense, and it seems like a prudent lending practice. Nonetheless, Christine states she is being offered a new credit account from one of her credit card lenders, even though it is one of the cards currently delinquent.

Comment

Originally posted by Christine88 View Post
            Perhaps so but what scares me is I haven't cut the card up. I'm afraid I'll use it and that's the last thing I need to do.
            I understand this statement completely. Stay strong...

Maybe I missed this info, but if the new card is lower interest than the old, transfer the balance from old card to the new. Then, if you can't cut up the old card (no shame or blame here, I haven't cut any of mine up either), maybe put it in a ziploc, fill it with water and put it in the freezer?

That way, it's there if you really, really need it. But at least you have to wait for it to thaw to use it, and maybe by that time you'd have thought of something else.

Then, when you get the new card, do the same thing? Then just pay on the new (if lower interest rate) card?

Just a thought.

OH! I see Petunia suggested the same freezing plan!

Comment

Have you made any type of plan with your resources now to pay on these overdue credit cards?

Getting a credit card to get current on your payments of past due cards and then still owing this new credit card with surely a high interest rate.

They are surely giving you a punitive interest rate along with late fees.

That is a credit card trap that takes years of strict budgeting to get out of.

You might consider laying out your expenses here and asking for help.

Working out a plan with the credit card companies.

The last thing I would do is get another credit card when it might be a temptation.

Also be putting any money at all into a emergency fund to have to not have to use a credit card again.

Comment

Working...
              X