Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

how many people are currently in debt

Hi
    I have just came out from financial debt thanks to god just like to know how many are still in financial debt?

I currently have no debt

Comment

I am in debt for my upcoming wedding but will pay it off within 3 months. Then I hope to be in debt again when I buy a house.

Comment

I have $1000 on a credit card...but that is what I do. I go up to $1500 on a credit card...then pay it off...then the cycle starts again.

Since it is revolving debt, I am basically debt free. I have the funds to pay it off.

Comment

Can I ask why you do that? Seems a bit odd. I can see if you just put all your monthly expenses on a card and pay it in full every month (so no interest charges), but building up balances to a certain level then paying them off when you could pay it off each month and not pay interest makes no sense to me.

Comment

I do the same thing, I charge EVERYTHING to my credit card--even $10 at the convenience store or $3 at fast food. In the 3-4 years I've had my credit card(s) (... i've accumulated 2 more over time, one for 5% back on gas/car maintenance, another that I was required to get for a club membership, but primarily only use the one), I've only ever carried over a balance once, about 1.5 years in. I saw the finance charge ($3.20-ish), and said to myself "what the...?? this is stupid. never again." I use it to rack up the reward points. Over that time, I now have just about enough for $350 cash back, or $500 credit on airline tickets. I'm taking a trip for thanksgiving, and I think I'll be using some of those points. Result: free trip and an excellent credit rating.

As for the OP's question, I am in debt, but in a very controlled way. I'm paying off the remainder of my car loan next month, and I have a $30k personal loan with my bank...at 1% interest. So I'm dragging that sucker out (investing most of it), with payments automatically coming from my checking account.

Originally posted by DebbieL View Post
            Can I ask why you do that? Seems a bit odd. I can see if you just put all your monthly expenses on a card and pay it in full every month (so no interest charges), but building up balances to a certain level then paying them off when you could pay it off each month and not pay interest makes no sense to me.
            I think you misunderstood... I think what ScrimpAndSave means is that she does pay it off every month... hence the cyclical/revolving nature of her (and some of my own) debt.
            Last edited by kork13; 09-25-2008, 03:31 PM.
            "Praestantia per minutus" ... "Acta non verba"

Comment

Scrimpandsave doesn't spend $1500 per month (based on reading her other posts). I think she is carrying a balance, then paying it in full when it hits the $1500 mark. Seems odd when you could just pay it in full every month and avoid interest.

Comment

$277K Mortgage
                $15K 2nd mortgage
                $16K Car note (20 months remaining)
                $10K Personal Loan
                $319K Total Debt

We spend 36% of our combined monthly Net Income towards paying ALL debts.
                Got debt?
                www.mo-moneyman.com

Comment

Originally posted by DebbieL View Post
                  Scrimpandsave doesn't spend $1500 per month (based on reading her other posts). I think she is carrying a balance, then paying it in full when it hits the $1500 mark. Seems odd when you could just pay it in full every month and avoid interest.
                  ah, reading it from that perspective, i see what you mean... that is a bit strange.... Scrimp?

Comment

I do carry a balance and pay it off about every other month. A use a VISA card with a 4% interest rate to charge my graduate classes. My school district reimburses me for these courses and then I pay off the card with the money that my school district pays me.

Each time I reach 15 credits, I get a sweet pay raise. My next few school years look like this (Not counting $2,400 each year I get for being on a committee):

2008-2009: $50,296 (Current)
                    2009-2010: $59,525
                    2010-2011: $67,232 (House buying year!)
                    2011-2012: $75,849
                    2012-2013 $84,894

Works for me!

Comment

Mortgage $440k
                      Student Loans $25.5k

I'm in debt bad. Oh well. The student loans are subsidized stafford loans and DH is still in school for another year or more.
                      LivingAlmostLarge Blog

Comment

We owe on the house still.

Comment

Technically, I have 3 debts:

mortgage
                          sleep number bed
                          Disney vacation club

I have the money for the bed in my savings account earning 3.25% while the bed is 0% & $0 payments until February '09. I'll pay that off in December/January.

Vacation Club will be paid off in December with annual bonus.

Then it's nothing but mortgage!

Comment

Originally posted by ScrimpAndSave View Post
                            Works for me!
                            hmm.... ::shrugs:: okay, i guess that's what is most important.

Originally posted by minnie1928 View Post
                            I have the money for the bed in my savings account earning 3.25% while the bed is 0% & $0 payments until February '09. I'll pay that off in December/January.
                            That's a pretty nice way to go.... though I don't think I could do it very well myself. Having things hanging over my head are pretty ominous to me unless I know I totally have it under control. So I'd be fine with it once I had actually done it and set it up (So I didn't have to worry about it, I'd just put in an automatic payment request for way down the road, like in Jan. in your example)... the problem is that i don't think I could convince myself, standing there in the store, that it would be alright to do it in the first place! lol

Comment

Owe 115k on house, house is worth 150k. No other debt.

Comment

Working...
                              X