Anyone have a good fudge recipe?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone have a good fudge recipe?

I know the ole chocolate chips and condensed milk thing.
    I am starting to think about the holidays and would really like to make some home made fudge for gift giving. Preferably a recipe that does not require it to remain refrigerated. Last year it was disaster because when it warmed up it became way too gooey.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.

Re: Anyone have a good fudge recipe?

I've made from the box in that Eagle Brand puts out around the holiday and I have some recipes at home. But here are a few that look good.

http://www.hillbillyhousewife.com/fudgebrownies.htm

The following looks the best to me and use the evaporated milk for a richer taste.

http://www.hillbillyhousewife.com/oldfashionedfudge.htm

Also, if you want to experiment search for fudge recipes on the web. The more cocoa and sweetened milk in them the richer they will taste. Personal I like carmel on them too....I'll have to remember to bring the recipes from home, but I won't be back to work until Tuesday so you might have to be patient.

Comment

Thank You! those look great I can't wait to try them.

Comment

My mom makes the recipe with marshmallow fluff (I think it's on the back of the fluff container). Fairly simply and very good, although we do keep it in the fridge.

Comment

I make it with the marshmellow fluff stuff too and it is the best I have ever tasted. It will not have to be refrigerated unless the house is really hot and it should not be in December. I wish someone was giving me some. I hate to make it cause I eat it all. The receipe is on the marshmellow fluff bottle!!

Comment

Thanks, and now I have plenty of time to save my coupons and wait for the sales. I will need to buy alot I have a very large family. I can't wait to try the marshmallow fluff, as a child I use to make fluff and peanut butter sandwiches yum.

Comment

I have a GREAT recipe...but it's one Mom did not release the copyright to me on...until death

Comment

I would love some non chocolate flavors of fudge. Except pnut butter, I have a great one for that. Any one have non chocolate ones? (don't get me wrong, I love chocolate but i have one of those already) I would prefer recipes that don't use vegetarian ingredients.

Comment

Originally posted by nanamom View Post
                  I would love some non chocolate flavors of fudge. Except pnut butter, I have a great one for that. Any one have non chocolate ones? (don't get me wrong, I love chocolate but i have one of those already) I would prefer recipes that don't use vegetarian ingredients.
                  Well, the original "fudge" is penuche:

4 cups brown sugar (not demerara or golden sugar)
                  1 cup whipping cream
                  2 tablespoons butter

Butter the sides of a heavy pot. Fill your sink to about 3/4 the height of the pot with cold water. Line a 9"x13" with foil and butter the interior (if you like a thicker piece of fudge, use an 8"x8" pan, but add in extra cooling time).

Mix all ingredients in pot and bring to a boil, stirring constantly. Continue stirring until thermometer reads 114 degrees Celsius (237 degrees Fahrenheit, or the "soft ball" stage).

Remove pot from heat and place in cold water. Add 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract but do not stir. Allow pot to sit until temperature drops to 43 degrees C (110 F or until skin forms and you can hold your hand against bottom of pot).

Remove pot from sink. Stir mixture by hand or with beater. Pause frequently to check fudge - it will lose its gloss, stiffen and become lighter in colour when it is done. Stir in optional ingredients, turn into greased pan and score before fudge sets.

Store in covered container - room temperature is best for flavour, but in hot and humid conditions the fridge is best.

Optional ingredients: 1/2 cup chopped nuts, dried fruit, coconut, miniature chocolate chips, etc.

Variations: use rum extract and add 1/2 cup plumped/drained raisins for rum and raisin fudge; use maple extract and add 1/2 cup walnuts; reduce whipping cream to 3/4 cup and add 1/4 cup peanut butter to cooking stage - add 1/2 cup chopped peanuts; top fudge with 1/2 cup semisweet chocolate chips and spread when melted; etc.

It's wonderful stuff but not frugal at all - costly, heavy in fat and calories, and it disappears in far less time than it takes to make.

Jackie

Comment

I love fudge, my favorite food!!

Comment

I love fudge too! I have an extremely easy recipe that I learned in Food & Nutrition class in high school. I usually leave out the salt & vanilla and it's still the best fudge I've ever tasted. Here's the recipe:

No-Fail Fudge

2/3 cup evaporated milk
                      1 2/3 cup sugar
                      tsp salt
                      1 cup marshmallows
                      1 cup chocolate chips
                      1 tsp vanilla

Combine evaporated milk, sugar and salt in sauce pan over medium heat, stirring occasionally. Bring to full boil. Cook 4 to 5 minutes, stirring constantly. Remove from heat. Stir in marshmallows, chocolate pieces, and vanilla. Stir vigorously for 1 minute (until marshmallows melt and blend). Pour into 8 inch square buttered pan. Cool. Cut into squares.

Comment

Thanks for the recipes. I have had a hankering for fudge and keep passing it in the bakeries but would rather make it myself.

Comment

Originally posted by Kirbycruiser View Post
                          I know the ole chocolate chips and condensed milk thing.
                          I am starting to think about the holidays and would really like to make some home made fudge for gift giving. Preferably a recipe that does not require it to remain refrigerated. Last year it was disaster because when it warmed up it became way too gooey.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.
                          you can use some cornflour added, to make it a creamy stuff with condensed milk and then add cocoa powder to avoid melting

Comment

Thanks everyone, I did try these recipes I also used the the marshmallow fluff recipe and it was great. I substituted the chocolate chips for a small jar of peanut butter and presto peanut butter fudge (it was so good). I also substituted the chocolate for white chocolate and let me tell you it was great especially with almonds. (I want to try this with peppermint or candy cane pieces this year to make it more of a holiday treat). I plan to experiement even more in the near future and I will let everyone know what is worth trying.

Comment

Thanks for the recipe... need to go try it out now!

Comment

Working...
                              X