Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Basic muffin recipie

Perk:

I use a heaping tablespoon of soy flour along with a tablespoon of water as an egg substitute. Usually cheaper and lower fat, and what sold me: non-perishable. It's not an uncommon substitute. Since I also use dry powdered milk, I always have muffin makings. Maybe it would ease your egginess?

Comment

I have got to find me that soy flour..

Comment

Two recipes, my Mom's, and another I use. Different textures.

English Muffin recipe - #1

1 1/2 c. warm water
        1 pkg. yeast
        3 Tbsp. sugar
        1/2 c. dry milk
        1 1/2 tsp salt
        1 egg, well beaten
        3 Tbsp. soft butter (or margargine...)
        4 c. flour
        cornmeal

In large bowl, combine water, yeast, sugar, and milk. Stir until yeast is dissolved. Add salt, egg, butter, and half the flour. Beat until dough is smooth. Add remaining flour to make a stiff dough.

Turn out onto a board and knead until very smooth (about 10 minutes). Add more flour if necessary. Return dough to a well buttered/greased/oiled bowl and turn to coat on all sides (this just keeps the dough from sticking to the bowl). Cover and let rise until double, about one hour, in a warm place.

Turn out onto slightly floured board. Don't knead. Pat gently, do not break air cells, to about 1/2 inch thickness. Cut with a 3" round cutter (i use a wide coffee mug). Dip each circle on both sides in cornmeal. Let rise until double. Bake slowly on an ungreased griddle or in an electric frypan at 340 degrees for about 7 minutes on each side (I use a regular skillet and just fry brown on both sides). Eat hot or cool. Split with a fork to toast. Makes 12 - 16.

English Muffin recipe #2

2 tbsp. sugar
        1 tsp salt
        1 pkg active dry yeast
        about 5 cups flour
        1 1/2 cup milk
        butter or margarine
        1 egg
        2 tbsp. yellow cornmeal
        salad oil

1. In large bowl, combine sugar, salt, yeast, and 1 1/2 cups flour. In 1-quart saucepan over medium heat, heat milk and 1/4 c butter or margine until very warm (120 to 130F - not scalding or you will kill the yeast).

2. With mxier at low speed, gradually beat liquid into dry ingredients until just blended. Increase speed to medium; beat two minutes, occasionally scraping bowl with rubber spatula.

3. Gradually beat in egg and 1 c flour or enough to make a thick batter; continue beating two minutes occasionally scraping bowl with rubber spatula. With spoon, stir in enough additional flour (about 2 cups) to amke a stiff dough.

4. Turn dough onto lightly floured surface and knead just until well mixed, about two minutes. Shape down into a ball and place in greased large bowl, turning dough over to grease top. over with towel; let rise in warm place until dough is doubled, about 1 1/2 hours.

5. Puch down dough. Turn dough onto lightly floured surface; cover wtih bowl for 15 minutes and let dough rest for easier shaping. Meanwhile, please cornmeal in a pie plate.

6. With lightly floured rolling pin, roll dogh about 3/8-inch thick. With 3-inch round cookie cutter, cut dough into circles; reroll scraps to make 18 circles in all.

7. Dip both sides of each circle in cornmeal; place cornmeal-coated circles about 1 inch apart on 2 small cookie sheets. Cover cookie sheets with towel; let circles rise in warm place, away from draft, until doubled, about 45 minutes.

8. Lightly brush 12-inch skillet with salad oil. Over medium heat, heat skillet until hot. Place 6 circles in skillet; cook 8 minutes on each sie or until browned. Repeat with rmeianing circles. Cool muffins on wire rack. To store muffins for later use, wrap coolked muffins with plastic wrap to foil.

9. Just before serving, split each muffin with a fork and toast.

Comment

thanks

Comment

PRALINE-BANANA MUFFINS:

1/3 cup chopped pecans, toasted well
            3 small ripe bananas (or use stage 2 baby food bananas equal to 1 and 1/2 cups)
            3 T brown sugar, (can be made from white sugar and molasses)
            1 T sour cream
            1 large egg
            1 1/2 cups any pancake mix.... i use a homemade bisquit mix
            1/2 cups sugar
            2 T veggie oil
            combine all ingredients and mix well.. i use min- muffin tins.. fill tins 1/2 full, after they have been greased and floured well.
            bake 350 degrees for 30-45 minutes.. check with toothpick inserted in center.. let cool 10 minutes before serving...

Comment

Originally posted by mciangel
              On another BBS I belong to, someone posted this recipe. They said it was 3 weight watcher's points per muffin.. makes 12 bigger sized muffins...

1 box chocolate cake mix
              1 15 oz can pumpkin puree

Stir the two together (that is all that is in it) and bake in muffin tin according to directions... typically 25-35 mins on 350
              Ooh, I think I'm gonna try this with Spice Cake mix. Yum!
              I am so not a cook...can ya tell?!

Comment

Savoury muffins:-
                1 tablespoon olive oil =14 gm
                1 small onion finely chopped
                4 rashers streaky bacon
                2 cups flour =454 gm
                4 teaspoons baking powder =14 gm+5 ml
                1 teaspoon salt =5 ml
                50g butter, melted
                1 cups milk =237 ml +118 ml
                1 egg, whisked
                1 cup grated cheese =225 gm
                1 cup frozen corn kernels =225 gm
                How to make it

Preheat oven to 200 C. Heat olive oil in a pan and saute onion and bacon until bacon softens and bacon crisps. Sift flour, baking powder and salt into a bowl and make a well. Add butter, milk egg, cheese, corn, onion and bacon and stir to combine, don't overmix. Bake for 12-15 minutes.

Comment

Working...
                X