Recipies For Bread Products

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Recipies For Bread Products

Do you free bake (no bread maker) bread products with homemade recipies? I.E Hot dog buns, hamburger buns, rolls ect. I am looking to save more money by doing this. I know how to make the standard loaf bread but none of the others. Any sharing would be greatly appreciated!!

Sounderella, have you tried googling for recipes?

I've some I could type in, but you may find something you're comfortable trying online - which by the way is where I got most of my bread recipes long ago!

Comment

LuxLiving: I just bought a breadmachine yesterday and remember you posting a recipe for onion bread I think. Haven't been able to find it.

Comment

Hmmm...I don't like onion bread so I doubt it was me. Sorry. I do make olive bread for TheHubster so that might have been it. I probably have a recipe for some onion bread here though! Let me go check...hold on a sec...

Okay, I'm back...

My Sunset Bread Book which is just for regular baking suggests this:

Follow a Basic White Bread recipe with these changes:

Use 1 can (10 1/2 oz.) onion soup and enough warm water to make 2 cups liquid in place of all milk; omit sugar, use only 1 teaspoon salt, and add 1 Tablespoon of instant minced onion. Shape each loaf into a ball and place in a 1 quart round casserole; bake same as basic loaves

----
        This is from my Welbuilt breadmachine cookbook. I've not made this so I have no experiences to share w/you Aleta.

Onion Bread - 1 lb. loaf for breadmachine
        water 7/8 cup
        butter/oil 4 teaspoons
        nonfat dry milk 4 teaspoons
        granulated sugar 2 teaspoons
        bread flour 2 1/4 cups
        active dry yeast 1 1/2 teaspoons
        dry onion soup mix 4 teaspoons

Onion Bread - 1 1/2 lb. loaf for breadmachine
        water 1 cup + 2 Tablespoons
        butter/oil 2 Tablespoons
        nonfat dry milk 2 Tablespoons
        granulated sugar 1 Tablespoon
        bread flour 3 cups
        active dry yeast 2 1/4 teaspoons
        dry onion soup mix 2 Tablespoons

It says to add the dry onion soup mix before the end of the last kneading. On my machine it beeps when it starts that part of the cycle.

-----------

On another page in the Sunset book it offers this - also for regular bread baking:

Onion-Herb Batter Bread

1/2 cup milk
        1 1/2 Tablespoons sugar
        1 teaspoon salt
        2 1/4 teaspoons butter or margarine
        1 pckg yeast (2 Tablespoons) - active dry or compressed
        1/2 cup warm water (lukewarm for compressed yeast)
        2 1/4 cups regular all purpose flour (sift before measuring)
        1 Tablespoon instant minced onions
        1/2 teaspoon dried dill weed, rosemary, or other herbs
        Melted butter
        Salt

Scald milk, remove from heat, and stir in sugar, salt, and butter until dissolved. Cool to lukewarm. In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in the warm water. Add cooled milk mixture (Lux's note: When baking I just put my whole pan of scalded milk in the freezer for a few minutes to cool it down - pan and all). Stir flour into yeast mixture. Add instant minced onions and dill or other herbs; stir all together until well blended, about 2 minutes. Cover and let rise in warm place until tripled in bulk, about 45 minutes. At about 40 minutes in start preheating your oven. Stir down, and beat vigorously about 1/2 minute. Turn into a greased 8 inch cake pan or 9 inch pie pan. Bake in a moderate oven (350 degrees) about 1 hour. Brush top crust w/melted butter and sprinkle lightly with salt. Cool on rack. Makes one 8 inch loaf.

Comment

Thank you Lux. Actually, that Olive Bread sounds great as well. We love taking bread like that and dipping it oil sauces.

Comment

Sounderella - Here's my basic hot-roll recipe:

Lux's Cathead Hot Rolls

1 1/2 cups warm water
            2 tsp. salt
            3 Tablespoons honey
            1 1/2 Tablespoons Wesson Oil
            1 egg
            2 Tablespoons Yeast
            3-4 cups flour (depends on the weather how much you need) to a somewhat dry - not overly sticky - consistency.

Dissolve yeast in warm water. Add the rest of the ingredients. Knead for 10 minutes. Grease and put in a bowl. Cover w/a t-towel. Let it rise for an hour. Come back and squeeze off a cathead size chunk of dough. Put it in a muffin pan that's been sprayed w/Pam or shape it like a small hamburger patty & place it in a greased pan. You may need some flour on your hands to make this go easier. Spray the tops w/butter-flavored Pam and cover very loosely w/some plastic wrap. Let them rise again for 15-20 minutes then remove the plastic wrap & pop them in a preheated 350 degree oven for about 10-15 minutes. Depends on how brown you like your tops.

When I've got some around I replace about 1 1/2 cups of the all-purpose flour w/wheat flour and maybe toss in some wheat bran and/or wheat gluten, depending on what's in the pantry. Yeah, I'm that kind of cook.

-----------
            Tortillas

I just use the recipe on the side of the Quaker Oats Harina Preparada bag! Easy. Getting mine ROUND, flat and thin enough? Still a challenge, but none I've made have ever gone uneaten. While the tortillas are still warm, the boys will butter them and depending on what they're hungry for, toss on a bit of either cinnamon/sugar or Lawry's Garlic Salt w/Parsley flakes, roll them up and scarf them down in about 2 seconds flat.

----
            Here's supposedly a Quick Biscuit - I've not tried it yet:

2 cups self-rising flour or 2 cups all purpose flour, 3 tsp. baking powder & 1 tsp. salt
            1 cup milk
            6 tablespoons mayonaisse

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Lightly grease a muffin pan (I use Pam), stir ingredients in small bowl & pour into muffin pan. Bake appx. 12-15 minutes.

----
            Here's the Lux's "Oh Poooh-QUICK I Forgot To Make The Bread" Recipe I normally use because there's no kneading or shaping required and you can add whatever you like to it:

It's from the Sunset book as well, pg. 24 = Basic Stir & Drop Rolls

1 pkg. yeast (2 Tablespoons) active dry or compressed
            1 cup warm water
            4 Tablespoons (1/4 cup) sugar
            1 teaspoon salt
            1 egg, beaten
            3 cups all purpose flour (they say sift - I NEVER do!)
            4 Tablespoons (1/4 cup) salad oil

Dissolve yeast in warm water. Add sugar, salt & beaten egg. Stir mixture well, add oil and half of the flour. Beat until very smooth. Add remaining flour to yeast and blend well. Set in a warm place & allow to rise until almost doubled in bulk, about 30 minutes. Drop dough by the spoonful into greased muffin pans so each cup is half-full. Let rise until almost doubled again. Bake in a hot oven 400 degrees for 15 minutes. Makes 24 rolls.

-------
            I'll dig around later and see if I can't find the hot dog bun recipe. But I did get it online somewhere. Any basic bread recipe would work for those you just shape the bread as needed.
            Last edited by LuxLiving; 05-24-2008, 07:46 AM.

Comment

Working...
            X