Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Non-edible recipes, laundry, household...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Non-edible recipes, laundry, household...

Those are the recipes of the detergents that I have been using for over a month now and very satisfied with.

Laundry detergent:

1 bar (3-4 oz) grinded any body soap
    1 cup washing soda
    1 cup borax
    1 cup baking soda

Mix all together and use about 2Tblspoons per load. I won't make lots of bubbles, but will get the job done as good as Purex or Wisk.

Dishwasher detergent:

1 cup baking soda
    1 cup borax
    1 cup washing soda

Use half the amount that required for your dishwasher. Will still get the job done on a well rinsed dishes.

Liquid soap:

1 bar soap grinded
    Add a few drops of essential oil or perfume

Put the ingredients in the bowl or a bucket, add 4 cups of very hot water, mix well, then add about 6-8 cups more of warm or cold water, mix well. Pour some in your soap dispensers and save the rest for later refills. 1 bar of soap is way cheaper than a half gallon of a liquid soap. Have anybody tried to make lotion soap? I will experiment and post later how it turned out.

I use white vinegar instead of laundry softener and jet dry.

Comment

I have tried a soap-borax-washing soda mix and did not like it. I find detergents are much better. When detergents came on the market after WWII, people were very pleased with how much better they cleaned than their old reliables like soap. Especially if you have hard water or get very dirty (including greasy/oily) , detergents work better. However, most people now work indoors, in climate controlled buildings and do not really get very dirty anyway. So for most people soaps instead of detergents probably are adequate.

Remember the yellow collar and underarm stains of years gone by? Maybe you don't remember it if you are not old enough to remember that many people used to use soap products (Like Ivory Soap Flakes, already grated and ready to measure!). That is not nearly so much a problem for people using real detergents instead of soaps in their laundry, so I imagine there are many people now who've never even seen the yellow collars and underarms that washing in detergent prevents.....We may call our washing powders "soap," but nowadays the vast majority of them, even the very cheapest ones, are the more effective detergents.

The vinegar rinse is somewhat appropriate for hard water areas, the same areas where the soap mix works the poorest, and rinse out the poorest.

I don't have particularly hard water, but detergent works better for me and no vinegar or any softener is necessary. Sometimes I like softener on certain items, but I've had the same bottlefor 5 or 6 years now.
      "There is some ontological doubt as to whether it may even be possible in principle to nail down these things in the universe we're given to study." --text msg from my kid

"It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men." --Frederick Douglass

Comment

Working...
      X