What To Do With Pinto Beans?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What To Do With Pinto Beans?

I keep getting all these dried pinto beans in a food package and I need some ideas for new ways to cook them other than the traditional plain pot of beans recipe. Any suggestions?

Taco beans..add taco sauce, roll in a tortilla with cheese and such just as if it was a beef taco.

Add to mac n cheese for variety of taste.

Make chili with half pinto half kidney beans

Comment

Drain, mash, (fry if you like), and fill in burritos. I was pleased to find that my picky eater niece, age 5, would eat bean burritos, even though she rejected beans any other way.

The UK-ers sometimes spread mashed beans on toast.

There is an Indian chip or crisp that is made from beans mashed and spread very thin, but I have never made it and don't know the name, sorry.

There is a delicious Afhgani soup that uses just a sprinkling of beans, and I understand kidney beans are typical, but that any bean will do. If you google Afghani recipes/food, you are sure to come across this soup.

They can be mashed and added to a certain type of homemade bread. I believe the Mennonite More With Less cookbook has a recipe.

You can turn them into bean dip and serve with raw vegetables or chips.
      "There is some ontological doubt as to whether it may even be possible in principle to nail down these things in the universe we're given to study." --text msg from my kid

"It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men." --Frederick Douglass

Comment

Oh yeah, they can be an ingredient in a cold bean salad that uses things such as green beans, wax beans, garbanzos, etc. I actually have a note tagged to my stove hood reminding me to make a bean salad, 'cause it keeps looking good to me canned in clear jars at the grocery. Definitely let this marinate in the fridge a couple of days before serving.
        "There is some ontological doubt as to whether it may even be possible in principle to nail down these things in the universe we're given to study." --text msg from my kid

"It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men." --Frederick Douglass

Comment

We usually end up making something like this...

VeggieBoards - Vegetarian Blog and Forum Taco Soup from the Pantry

Comment

Mash and use as the bottom layer of a bean dip recipe. I often make layered dip with layer of brown rice and serve it as an entree (in which case rice is the bottom layer). The other layers are typically: chopped tomatoes, shredded cheddar, low-fat sour cream and guacamole.

Comment

I soak and cook down in the crockpot with some onion, ham and also add a few other type of beans as well.

Comment

Working...
              X