granola...revisited

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

granola...revisited

I posted a granola recipe a while back that I found online. I've been tweaking and tweaking, and decided to repost my variation, as it seems there are a lot of granola fans out there

Based on recipezaar.com recipe #23108

4 c. rolled oats
    1 c. sliced almonds
    1/8-1/4 c. Splenda brown sugar (I have been steadily decreasing this every batch to see when I would start to notice a difference - I'm down to 1/8 c. now without sacrificing any flavor)
    1/4 t. salt
    1/8 t. cinnamon
    Mix together in large bowl.

Combine: 1/3 c. oil
    1/4 c. liquid sweetener (honey or real maple syrup or a mix - I use half of each, as I like the honey better, but I have a free source of maple syrup!)
    Heat to a simmer. Pour over oat mixture and toss to coat. Spread onto a baing sheet. Bake at 300 degrees for 20-30 minutes, stirring once or twice. Store in a covered container. I don't know how long it lasts, because it is always eaten within 3 or 4 days here!

(the original recipe calls for 2 T. sugar to be added to the liquid mixture before you heat it - I have ommitted this. It also calls for 4 t. vanilla to be stirred in just before you add it to the oats. I found this to be too strong, so I took it out as well).

Re: granola...revisited

My husband has invited 10(?) peopel over for brunch tomorrow, I'm going to make a batch of this today! I'll post my impressions later. Thanks for the recipe.

Comment

Great recipe, Jodi. I tweaked it a little myself to make it a lilttle lower in fat (but higher in sugar) . :-)

4 cups regular oats
      1/2 cup slivered almonds
      1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
      1/4 teaspoon salt
      1/3 cup honey
      1/3 cup maple syrup
      scant 1/4 cup brown sugar
      2 tablespoons canola oil

I followed Jodi's instructions, but added Craisins after baking.

Comment

Hey beanie, I just read your journal entry and asked you how this was...guess I should have checked here first! Gald you enjoyed it. I also add craisins after baking, but I forgot to mention that here. My mom adds raisins to hers instead. One other thing I forgot to add: I always put in a handful of coconut before baking. I love the toasted coconut taste!

The great thing about this recipe is that it is so versatile.

Comment

Working...
        X