Start from Seed or Buy?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Start from Seed or Buy?

Wich way do you prefer to get your plants from seed or one already started from a nursery?

Wich plants do you prefer to start from seed rather than buy & vice versa?

Re: Start from Seed or Buy?

I prefer to buy young plants rather than start from seed. My seedlings never make it. Yet again I will try this year, but I'll probably have to end up buying small planst anyway.

Comment

I buy tomato seeds and start them indoors. In fact, I already have some started! The reason I buy the seeds is because I can order exactly the varieties that I want. Once you get hooked on tomatoes, the varieties at the nursery just won't suffice.

Aside from that, I usually buy all other plants - vegetable and flowers.

Comment

plants: tomatoes and peppers (bell, jalapeno, banana), broccoli

seed: greens (spinach, chard, lettuce), beets, beans, cauliflower, cabbage

either (depends on if I get started early enough and if my greenhouse runs out before I get there!): zucchini, squash, cukes

I tried tomatoes from seed one year and they grew too spindly and tipped over. For what they cost me, I find it was easier to buy from my cousin's greenhouse!

Comment

In the vegetable garden, I prefer to start everything from seed. Not only is it far more cost effective, but many things are more successful if started from seed in place in the garden. Melons, squashes, pumpkins and cucumbers, for example, suffer tiny injuries to their root tips when transplanted. They can suffer a pause in root growth upon planting out. This can stress the plants if they are now in full sun, ordinary amounts of wind, and warm days. They need to be able to set roots and take up water immediately, but hey are limited in their ability to do so. These plants are best started from seed in the garden.

I prefer to start tomatoes from seed in order to get the varieties I want, varieties which are not on the local market. Starting them early in pots gets them to blooming size in the garden before the hots days are here, hot days which make pollenation improbable. I have to start tomatoes early enough that it is not in the upper 90s when they are blooming. If you summers are not so hot, you can probably have as much success starting tomatoes in the garden, rather than indoors, early, in pots.

Hot peppers I start very early. In January. I grow a type that needs a much longer growing season than we have heere naturally. However, these Red Savina habaneros have been purchasable on the local market the last couple of years, so I did not start them from seed this year. I hope to buy them at a garden shop.

I like to start my herbs from seed, sometimes indoors, sometimes out. Can save a lot of money, and most herbs are so easy from seed. Also, some of what I grow, I don't think I could purchase locally. I save my own seeds from some herbs.

In years whn I grow sweet potatoes, I prefer to buy slips, but they have been oddly expensive, so I prorably should start my own in the future.

A problem with starting my own seeds indoors is that I don't keep the house very warm. I have a light set up and that can incidenatlly provide limited heat, but mostly I'm choosing to back off on things that need to be started early indoors. In fact, I'm starting notheing indoors theis year. A friend is starting tomatoes for me. Outdoors in cell pots is where I now do herbs and decorative annuals. Most everything else is started right in the garden.
          "There is some ontological doubt as to whether it may even be possible in principle to nail down these things in the universe we're given to study." --text msg from my kid

"It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men." --Frederick Douglass

Comment

This year I am attempting to start everything by seed. Other than herbs I have bought my plants from a nursery in the past. So far the lettuce has been very easy to start from seed of those cheap 10 cent packets from American Seed. I will need more time to determine if the other variety of plants I have planted are worth it.
            Last edited by JBinKC; 03-04-2007, 10:03 AM.

Comment

it's better to buy a new one. young plants are easy to take care of, while seeds new a lot of word sometimes.

Comment

Working...
              X