Announcement

Collapse

Happy Thanksgiving - Stock Markets Are Closed

Happy Thanksgiving!

The stock markets in the United States will be closed on December 25th, 2021, in observance of the Thanksgiving Holiday.
See more
See less

PauletteG's 52 Week Savings Challenge Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Another week with money added is great!

Comment

You were able to save, so way to go!

Comment

Week 6: Early Pickup

Today's visits: cheap vegetable and fruit stand, $13.91; chichi market for protein powder, wine and sausages (plus dairy deals and two red chile peppers which no other market till then seemed to have): $53.06 (used a $5 coupon); $7.88 at Safeway; $12.74 at a bargain market for bread, vegetables and a humongous canister of parmesan cheese: $87.59

However, I did have two no-spend days. $19/day for groceries * 6 days = $114 - $88 (rounding up) = $26 plus $8 savings on cheese, and 1 pound lamb for $4.

Total Deposited: $38 today as I won't have the use of the car tomorrow.
        $145 deposited year to date.

It's supposed to get even colder than it is now, maybe even snow. I made sure I had almost everything for my planned meals which will now include lamb curry, paleo beef casserole (with yams) short ribs in tomato fennel sauce. Excepting milk, bread, and cereal I have two weeks' worth of meals.

I'll try the envelopes trick next week for groceries, clothing and spending money.

Comment

That is great! I can't wait to read about your envelope trick and how it worked for.

Comment

Week 7: 52-Week Saving Challenge

Envelope system watch:
            My spouse bought a replacement watch (he'd had his since 1996) which cost $76.99 and we used more than a third of the envelope money for that. I thought maybe he was going to buy a refurbished one from a watch repair expert, not a new Citizen watch.

Despite that, I had a low grocery week ($87 for three).

We still have more income for February than is budgeted.

$13 deposited this week: the challenge are likely to remain low until I recover from Tax Time, and the Olympics challenge. I've decided I'd also like to save for a Raspberry Pi before Pi Day, March 14.

Comment

Good job with the deposit!!

Comment

Week 8: 52-Week Savings Challenge

$21 deposited. I was superfrugal except for one family day where the males went to a matinee, and I took us to a dessert place ahead of time so they wouldn't spend $10 apiece on small popcorn + small drink.

Saved $23 Saturday just choosing meat for the next week from the Manager's Markdowns in the supermarket. Kept $2 of that for emergencies.

Sochi Challenge is over with $85 (10/10/5), so I can look forward to larger future deposits in 52-Week Savings Challenge. I took the lads out to breakfast today where I enjoyed some red strawberries with white whipped cream on top of Swedish pancakes.

Cumulative: $233
                Last edited by PauletteGoddard; 02-23-2014, 04:15 PM.

Comment

Great job on your savings and being savvy enough to eat before going to the movies. Everything in our theater is overpriced, so that was definitely a savings.

Comment

52-Week Savings Challenge Catch-up

March
                    March 1 - $35 deposited to individual CU chequing account. For what I Saved buying meat last week.

March 7 - $43 deposited to individual CU chequing account.
                    Frugal things I did: Coupons - ($1.55 + $0.84 + $1.25 + $2); received $5 Target gift card; saved $38 at JCPenney.
                    March 15 - $1 yet to deposit to individual CU chequing account. It's a rough month with emergency tooth extraction for cat and dead motorcycle battery, and I miscalculated the reserves for utilities and semi-annual and annual insurances. I really want my Money Market Account to go to that next level of interest, and I'm $7 - $33 behind, depending on how we determine how many weeks are in a month.

$312.00 will be the balance tomorrow
                    Last edited by PauletteGoddard; 03-15-2014, 11:57 AM.

Comment

Working...
                    X