Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cris22
    replied
    Great list of money saving tips, mate. We're still using an old refrigerator, that's why we pay high on electric bill with few appliances. Thanks mate, it's very helpful.

Leave a comment:

• mikal
    replied
    Originally posted by apexair View Post
    If your Refrigerator is over 10 years old, consider getting a new one. And if you do get a new one, do not stick the old one in the garage. If you have an old one in the garage get rid of it unless you really need it. Usually all those extra refrigerators do is use up electricity cooling air.
    Really good tip, it is much better to sell your old refrigerator then storing it in a garage.

Leave a comment:

• apexair
    replied
    If your Refrigerator is over 10 years old, consider getting a new one. And if you do get a new one, do not stick the old one in the garage. If you have an old one in the garage get rid of it unless you really need it. Usually all those extra refrigerators do is use up electricity cooling air.

Leave a comment:

• Rainbow Traveller
    replied
    Thanks every body for their super kool tips. Here is a few more:

Make sure the refrigerator is not up against an outside facing wall.

Keep the fridge as full as possible.

Clean out beneath and behind the fridge every month or so.

If your fridge is over 10 years old, consider getting a new one. And if you do get a new one, do not stick the old one in the garage. If you have an old one in the garage get rid of it unless you really need it. Usually all those extra refrigerators do is use up electricity cooling air.

Leave a comment:

• Autoin Chance
    replied
    I knew 1-10 but don't know about moisture or use bank note to test the seal. This is new for me, thank you.

I admit I like to put hot tea in refrigerator (even though the tea is in the sealed bag & no hot smoke).

sorry for my poor eng.

Leave a comment:

• 9symphony9
    replied
    I was guilty of 14 when I was younger. You can make a list of items inside and where they are out in the fridge so you keep the doors open less.

Leave a comment:

• jeffrey
    replied
    They are the coils at the back of the refrigerator

Leave a comment:

• WiseOwl
    replied
    Thanks, Jeffrey,

You've convinced me that I ned a new fridge. Mine is too old and probably way too ineffecient.

By the way, where is the condenser located. Obviousley, i don't clean it every six months if I'm noott sure where it is. WideOwl needs to learn a lot more about fridge maintenance.

Leave a comment:

• ScrimpAndSave
    replied
    Wow awesome tips!

Leave a comment:

• leggzz66
    replied
    keeping your ice bin full saves alot of money, buy occasional bag of ice to keep that full or make ice and keep it full, ive heard, turning off your ice maker saves up to 40% of the units usage a month.

Leave a comment:

• Aleta
    replied
    Before I got my present stove, I had a white porcelain one. I used to use baking soda to clean off the stove. It was non-abrasive and it did a better job than the other cleaners. I also use baking soda on the oven-proof glass dishes, or the white ones. It will make them look like new in no time.

Leave a comment:

• The Budget Man
    replied
    Size does matter

Great article.

When we buy a fridge the temptation is always to buy a big one. The bigger the fridge the more electricity it takes to keep it cool. The same goes for freezers, but even more so because a freezer can tend to become a "Home" for lost food. You know the items I mean... The ones that just stay there taking up space month after month.

So when it comes time to replace a fridge or freezer could it be time to downsize? We only have one child left at home so we'll be replacing our fridge and freezer with smaller items next time.

Leave a comment:

• razzxxx
    replied
    Re: Refrigerator - Saving Money Tips

wow really great tips thanx

Leave a comment:

• Scamper
    replied

Baking Soda tips:

Remove coffee and tea stains in pots or cups, with baking soda and scouring pad.

Use soda on fine china, porcelain appliances including inside of the frig), stainless steel, aluminun, and cast iron.

After a wet bed accident blot as much of the wetness up as you can, then spread soda all over the area. Let it soak up the excess moisture, and brush off.

Keep your refrigerator smelling fresh, by storing an open box of soda on a rear shelf. Works in the freezer also.

Sprinkle dry soda on the rugs, or carpets to deodorize. Then wait one hour and vacuum.

Soda is especially good for deodorizing and absorbing any pet wet spots.

Use a paste of baking soda to clean away corrosion, on a car battery terminals without, having to use a wire brush.

Keep 1/2 " of soda in the cars ash tray to eliminate odors.

To benefit all septic systems, flush 1 cup of soda down your toilet once a month.

Use soda to freshen your R V tank periodically.

Put a few tablespoons of soda in a cup of water in the microwave, boil for 2 minutes, then wipe down the inside with a sponge.

Keep your drains open by pouring down half a box of soda. Follow with a cup of white vinegar. After bubbling action subsides, flush with hot water.

Use soda as a non chemical facial scrub.

Use soda as an emergency toothpaste.

Put 1 teaspoon of soda in a glass of water, makes a nice mouth wash.

Use it as an anti- perspirant straight from the box.

Sprinkle a little in a laundry bag to minimize odors from soiled clothes.

Keep a box of soda handy in the kitchen. Extinguish small grease fires. BUT DO NOT USE IT ON ANY DEEP FAT FRYER FIRES.

Dissolve 1/2 cup or more soda in the bath water to soothe skin irritations. Sunburns, insect bites, poison ivy, and itchy rashes such as chicken pox.

Remove black scuff marks on the floor, with a soda and water paste. Use as little water as possible for best results.

Leave a comment:

• Scamper
    replied

Oh yell. Hang in there lots of tips coming. Probably 12 - 15 baking soda tips. Busy right now. Will get them on later. Keep watching all categories. Especially check out the lesser known tips. I think you'll find some useful.

Scamp

Leave a comment:

Working...
X