Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Savings Tip: Put Non-essential Spending Wants On A 30-day List.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Savings Tip: Put Non-essential Spending Wants On A 30-day List.

So, I have a problem with overspending. Most of the time its eating out, but sometimes I buy high end items that seem like a good idea at the time, but I don't always get the full value from them over the long term. So, I saw this idea online and wanted to share it.

Make a 30 Day Delayed Spending List

If you keep falling victim to impulse spending, consider avoiding it by creating a 30 day list. The main idea here is to create a list and everything on it that you want to buy. Then at the end of 30 days review what's on your list and make a decision about what to buy then. The idea is to nip your impulse spending in the bud. At the end of 30 days your impulse to buy should be gone and you can evaluate your situation with a clear mind about what would really be best for you.

The list can be super simple, take a jot note list in your phone or write it on a white board in your home office, or write it down on a piece of paper and put it on your refrigerator door.

Also, of course you'll want to keep shopping for necessities, like groceries - but a hack like this should help you limit your spending.

Challenge Yourself

Some people learn best when they challenge themselves. And, delaying your non-essential spending is a good way to challenge yourself and build up your self control.

Finally, don't forget.

“The speed of your success is limited only by your dedication and what you’re willing to sacrifice” – Nathan W. Morris
    james.c.hendrickson@gmail.com

It's great to see this idea gaining some traction. About 30 years ago, when I was learning to get smarter financially, I started delaying some non-essential purchases by calendaring them and then deciding whether or not to go ahead with the purchase when the calendar date rolled around. Most of the time I didn't buy. I read a book on money hacks recently that mentioned the same idea, and now here is something very similar.

Comment

My "Amazon Wish List" exists for exactly this reason!! I do end up dumping a lot of stuff out of it. Other stuff, I end up buying.

Comment

Originally posted by ua_guy View Post
        My "Amazon Wish List" exists for exactly this reason!! I do end up dumping a lot of stuff out of it. Other stuff, I end up buying.
        I do the same thing. Unless I know for a fact I need it right now, I almost always add stuff to my Amazon wish list. Occasionally I'll wander through & if I still feel like it's a need, I'll actually order it. Likewise, I keep a list on my phone of "Stuff to Buy," and add items to it as I think about it. Often, items will sit in one of those places for weeks/months, because they really aren't terribly important. But delaying the impulse purchasing is a HUGE contributor to reducing the parasitic spending that you never know where your money goes.

Related, even for your essentials (groceries, etc.), keep a grocery list & stick to it. We typically maintain roughly the same types of foodstuffs in our house, so when we start to run out of something, I add it back to our shopping list. I know we need it, then I can get those things (and generally little to nothing else) when I go to the store the next time.
        "Praestantia per minutus" ... "Acta non verba"

Comment

I take the opposite tack, and use the digital envelope method (credit cards and a spreadsheet).

Thus, I buy what I want, when I want, but when the money runs out that month... no more buying. If I want something relatively expensive, then I put some money aside for N months and then buy it.

Comment

I rarely shop online or in person. I hate it. So I usually don't struggle. Eating out is a different story.
            LivingAlmostLarge Blog

Comment

Working...
            X