Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Charities that successfully fight hunger?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Charities that successfully fight hunger?

I need help finding a charity, and I'd like to donate to one that fights world hunger. I tried Heifer, but when I asked them to show me evidence that their program had a long-term impact, like more than 10 years, they couldn't provide any. The just sent me info about people their program had been to within the past few years. But I've heard that hunger-fighting charities often achieve only short-term results, and don't want to waste money on charities that don't work.

So are there charities that successfully fight hunger?

It is tough to know that your aimed at long term effects can really come to fruition.

Do you even have an idea what sort of program you are looking for? For long term improved outcomes, perhaps it is employment and education initiatives that you would be interested in. But even the effects of those can be unpredictable as not just the individual "recipient" is involved, but the entire social & political system in which they live.

How about a program that encourages breast feeding in areas where it is being done less often than would be beneficial? If I'm not mistaken, breast feeding shows long term beneficial effects.

How about something that aims to help preserve healthy farmland, forest, pastureland, fishing waters, etc, so that the very basis of food production can remain viable?
    "There is some ontological doubt as to whether it may even be possible in principle to nail down these things in the universe we're given to study." --text msg from my kid

"It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men." --Frederick Douglass

Comment

I'm definitely open to non-intuitive methods for fighting hunger, so long as the charity can say something like "yes, this works. We stopped working there over 5 years ago, and you can see from this data that hunger/poverty has dropped since then."

Comment

Feeding people in crisis situations is not your interest, I guess. War, famine, natural disaster.... I mean, if you've saved a life through the harshest of times, and that person is still alive ten years from now, then what you did had a long term effect. You are wanting to support an effort that makes permanent changes? That pretty much has to be an effort that solves poverty, doesn't it? That's a huge order to fill.

Personally, I mostly support local efforts where I have some understanding of the context, the people, the need, the possibilities. There's no denying, too, that when my community is better for other people, it is better for me as well.
        "There is some ontological doubt as to whether it may even be possible in principle to nail down these things in the universe we're given to study." --text msg from my kid

"It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men." --Frederick Douglass

Comment

Originally posted by Miryafa View Post
          I'm definitely open to non-intuitive methods for fighting hunger, so long as the charity can say something like "yes, this works. We stopped working there over 5 years ago, and you can see from this data that hunger/poverty has dropped since then."
          So you mean you want to support an entire system that ends war, famine, draught, government injustice, and end poverty.

If there were such an organization, we would no longer have hunger.

Comment

This forum seems very US centric, and in US we live secure and wealthy lives. A local charity brings more equality to your neighborhood; and a worldwide charity brings that on a global basis.

Although most of my charitable contributions are local, a few things that comes to mind: the wealth disparity on the world stage is much bigger so my $ should make a bigger impact; and we are all humans. It is somewhat gready of me to contribute so much locally vs the world.

So I think OP's desire to contribute to a global organization is good and the question on organization's credentials and effectiveness is also good. However, I'm also wondering if Heifer had said something to your liking, how would you verify?

If there are no other better alternatives, should Heifer be reconsidered?

Perhaps it isn't so bad that Heifer wasn't able to provide you with proof ATM. Maybe after donating, you can suggest that something like that be tracked to attract more donations and measure the effectiveness.

Sometimes, doing something (esp good things) may be better than not doing it even at a low efficiency/return, but with the aim to improve.

Comment

As far as the developing word goes, the best way to fight hunger is to fund charities that are doing microbusiness development. Also, charities that fund women are more likely to result in better health outcomes for children. Men are more likely to spend disposable income on tabacco and alcohol and women are more likely to make investments in kids nutrition.
              james.c.hendrickson@gmail.com

Comment

Working...
              X