Saving Advice Forums  

Go Back   Saving Advice Forums > Financial Chit Chat > Everything Else Financial

Everything Else Financial If it doesn't belong in any of the other forums, it goes here.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-30-2018, 06:30 AM
$ Saving HS Freshman

Forum Posts: 109
Default how much is work satisfaction worth

I am secretly hoping my contract ends soon at the current job I have. that sounds odd on a financial standpoint but how much BS is worth being in a bad job?
they talked of extending the contract but honestly do not want to stay. Yes the income is nice and keeping me ahead on my debt plan but I am so tired of pretending to be busy. they keep telling my any minute they will be flooded with work but not so far.
They do not have enough work to keep me busy more the 2 days a week but since the area I am living seems to be full of the laziest people ever with zero work ethic they stretch out something that should be 10 minutes to 45 minutes. Then dislocate their shoulders patting themselves on the back.
I have told my spouse that honestly I need to leave before the bad work environment infects me. Most regular employees watch videos or text all day this is a setting where the average age is about 50 years old not kids.

As I am leaving soon another question arouse so I thought maybe ask here
a couple of people at current work display some disturbing behaviors that I am not sure if I should say anything to management or perhaps my recruiter that I technically work for?
I thought of talking about my agency about it but do not want to be viewed as difficult but I also do not want to be placed anywhere like this again I have been here 9 months had about a month that was productive.
Old 01-30-2018, 07:31 AM
$ Saving HS Junior

Forum Posts: 202

I think this culture is in many large corps. My current role I hardly do anything. My previous role took me about 6 months in role to start to get busy. Took over two months to get me the system access I needed. I know someone who does contract consulting work and probably has about 3 hours of work per day.
Old 01-31-2018, 06:11 AM
$ Saving HS Freshman

Moosebucks,
I guess knowing others are in a same boat should make me feel better but honestly the "it is corporate culture" line is aggravating.
I have worked in big and small firms and the attitude is about the management or the expectations and individual effort. I have seen more effort to avoid work then actually working.
When I came into this current role I had done a small stint with this company before I was familiar with the system in a matter of two weeks my production was surpassing a 10 year employees output. I was not told that but she asked me to slow down and take more breaks cause she was asked about her numbers.
So yesterday they asked me to stay on another 3 months I really wanted to say no and leave but agreed to stay on. I brought up the lack of work etc and was basically told they thought it would pick up. I know I am needed for vacations and medical leave but this will be a long 3 months.
Old 01-31-2018, 08:16 AM
$ Saving HS Sophomore

Forum Posts: 194

It really depends. Do you need the money? Then stay put and earn your bucks. I had such a job years ago and would use the extra-time to build my own websites network. This translated into an easier time setting up my own business afterwards.
Old 02-04-2018, 06:13 PM
$ Saving Professor

Forum Posts: 5,866

depends. If you want to switch to another job same field because you hate your job do it. You'll get promoted faster because you will perform better and like it.

If you are switching fields well that's a different comparison. Are you taking a paycut because you don't like what you do? Love it? Etc
Old 02-13-2018, 06:17 AM
$ Saving HS Freshman

work by definition is not suppose to be fun while some people have jobs they like for whatever reason.
I just no longer see ANY place as more then a temporary gig (not the best move financially), I suppose but in the area I am at, many people whom seem content are people who live to do the bare minimum to not get fired. That to me seems sad. Life is too short to be as miserable as some of these People are I guess ignoring them is the best way to stick to the next couple of months.
So many people going through the motions. It has only been 1.5 weeks and I already wish I had said NO to staying the next couple of months.
Old 02-13-2018, 11:17 AM
$ Saving Jr. College Student

Forum Posts: 499

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smallsteps View Post
work by definition is not suppose to be fun while some people have jobs they like for whatever reason.
I just no longer see ANY place as more then a temporary gig (not the best move financially), I suppose but in the area I am at, many people whom seem content are people who live to do the bare minimum to not get fired. That to me seems sad. Life is too short to be as miserable as some of these People are I guess ignoring them is the best way to stick to the next couple of months.
So many people going through the motions. It has only been 1.5 weeks and I already wish I had said NO to staying the next couple of months.
I believe you need a balance of fun and satisfaction to fulfill experience in life. I'm in a similar boat, but there is SOO much work to do at my work, there is no reasonable way to get there. So it winds up leading to procrastination, because I don't know what to start on..... So we are at opposite ends of what we're experiencing at work.

Maybe you should try to enjoy the breather while you can, and keep yourself busy with other things (reading, surfing the web, podcasts, etc...). Until your contract ends.

I do agree though, life is too short to spend >40 hours a week @ work, let alone the >7.5 hours getting to and from work or >5 hours of unpaid salary over time. There has to be a better mix than 50/50 YOURlife/WORK life. Just need to figure out the calculation, and how to obtain it.

if you do... then please share!