Saving Advice Forums  

Go Back   Saving Advice Forums > Financial Chit Chat > Debt

Debt Anything to do with debt including debt reduction, debt concerns, debt consolidation and how to get out of debt.

Like Tree148Likes

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
  #501 (permalink)  
Old 09-13-2017, 03:33 PM
$ Saving Jr. College Student
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Forum Posts: 423
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomsaver View Post
So it begins.

Mortgage Principal : $69K
Mortgage Principal : $68K
__________________
Kill the debt, before it kills you!
Reply With Quote
  #502 (permalink)  
Old 09-14-2017, 10:24 AM
$ Saving Professor
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Forum Posts: 5,626
Default

We have made two mortgage payments. I am debating writing what I owe here because it's insane and I'm embarrassed.

Greenskeeper if the mountain house is something that you've considered a lot and weighed all pros and cons I'd do it. You aren't on here talking crazy. I would guess you've discussed with your wife your lifestyle and I'm with her. The kids aren't getting any younger.

DH and I discussed it once but decided we aren't vacation home people. We are however discussing buying a second condo in hawaii because my parents live there and my mom needs some cash flow. But it's a different reason entirely.

For you I'd look at it as a lifestyle choice. NOT a financial one. You can always fix financials.
james.hendrickson likes this.
__________________
LivingAlmostLarge Blog
Reply With Quote
  #503 (permalink)  
Old 09-14-2017, 02:08 PM
james.hendrickson's Avatar
Administrator
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Forum Posts: 741
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LivingAlmostLarge View Post
We have made two mortgage payments. I am debating writing what I owe here because it's insane and I'm embarrassed.

Greenskeeper if the mountain house is something that you've considered a lot and weighed all pros and cons I'd do it. You aren't on here talking crazy. I would guess you've discussed with your wife your lifestyle and I'm with her. The kids aren't getting any younger.

DH and I discussed it once but decided we aren't vacation home people. We are however discussing buying a second condo in hawaii because my parents live there and my mom needs some cash flow. But it's a different reason entirely.

For you I'd look at it as a lifestyle choice. NOT a financial one. You can always fix financials.
Living, its cool to share that kind of information here - you might get some good pointers for better managing the debt if you're not feeling so hot about it.
__________________
[email protected]
202.468.6043
Reply With Quote
  #504 (permalink)  
Old 09-15-2017, 01:25 PM
greenskeeper's Avatar
$ Saving College Sophomore
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Forum Posts: 988
Default

Looking at $100-120k for the mountain house. Refinancing our existing house would move our mortgage balance from $80k back up to $180-$200k with a house value of approximate $300k. Payment would actually go down if refinanced to another 30 year mortgage. I would still aggressively pay down to make it a maximum of a 15 year putting me at the age of 52 with two paid for houses.
__________________
Gunga galunga...gunga -- gunga galunga.
Reply With Quote
  #505 (permalink)  
Old 09-16-2017, 08:44 AM
$ Saving College Senior
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Forum Posts: 2,343
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenskeeper View Post
Looking at $100-120k for the mountain house. Refinancing our existing house would move our mortgage balance from $80k back up to $180-$200k with a house value of approximate $300k. Payment would actually go down if refinanced to another 30 year mortgage. I would still aggressively pay down to make it a maximum of a 15 year putting me at the age of 52 with two paid for houses.
First of all, in your shoes YES, I'd go ahead and buy the mountain house now. You seem like a frugal person who has a handle on their finances, so get that quality time with the kids now. Personally I'd lean towards a 20-year mortgage, and still aim to have it paid off in 15. Speaking as one who is a bit "north" of the 52 age that you mention, it is an age where things start to get a bit dicier (harder to find new work if you are laid off, health problems may start to creep in, etc.), so owning both homes outright by that age is a good plan. Also, I'm sure you've already thought of this, but I'd be looking for a smaller house that would be a good size for just the two of you to use when the kids are grown and gone.
Reply With Quote
  #506 (permalink)  
Old 09-16-2017, 08:49 AM
$ Saving College Senior
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Forum Posts: 2,343
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LivingAlmostLarge View Post
We have made two mortgage payments. I am debating writing what I owe here because it's insane and I'm embarrassed.
You could use percentages, or months remaining, or some other figure. It's not always necessary to use dollar amounts.
Reply With Quote
  #507 (permalink)  
Old 09-16-2017, 08:56 AM
$ Saving College Senior
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Forum Posts: 2,343
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by scfr View Post
You could use percentages, or months remaining, or some other figure. It's not always necessary to use dollar amounts.
I just remembered the guy who showed his mortgage payoff by drawing an outline of his house's floorplan on graph paper. He shaded in squares to represent the amount of his mortgage that was paid off. That was such a cool way to visualize it!
Reply With Quote
  #508 (permalink)  
Old 09-17-2017, 07:49 AM
$ Saving Professor
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Forum Posts: 5,626
Default

I have 358 payments remaining. I have 99.56% remaining. I have 27.25% in taxable accounts to pay it off. At least I'm trying to own my home.
james.hendrickson likes this.
__________________
LivingAlmostLarge Blog
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 08:13 AM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SEO by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2 ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.