View Single Post
Old 08-05-2017, 04:52 PM
Super Moderator

Forum Posts: 26,325

Quote:
Originally Posted by frugal saver View Post
I totally understand what you're saying. But I'm on the other end of the equation, and I see a different scenario.

In the past 30 years, pretty much 99% of the time I've seen a doctor (admittedly, that's not a lot of times as I don't get sick) the treatment plan is "lose weight"--and nothing else. Doesn't matter what the complaint is
Well that's certainly not right and shouldn't happen. I'm sorry to hear that it does.

Look, a high percentage of what I treat every day is self-induced in one way or another (obesity, smoking, drinking, unsafe sex, etc.). I do my best to treat people for what ails them but part of that treatment is and should be counseling them on what they should change to avoid having the same problem or an ongoing problem in the future. If you come in for a chronic cough, I'm going to talk to you about quitting smoking. If you come in for an STD, I'm going to tell you to start using condoms. If you come in for type 2 diabetes, I'm going to urge you to change your diet, lose weight, and increase your physical activity.

Treating the symptom without also addressing the underlying cause is not practicing good medicine and isn't doing the patients any favors.

* Despite the high cost of living, it remains very popular.
* Why should I pay for my daughter's education when she already knows everything?
* There are no shortcuts to anywhere worth going.