View Single Post
Old 08-05-2017, 02:20 PM
$ Saving HS Freshman

Forum Posts: 135

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneysteve View Post
This certainly isn't new, and it's lunacy IMO.

Society has decided that we should ignore people's physical appearance and just love everybody for who they are and encourage them to love themselves as they are rather than making any effort to deal with the outrageous damage they are doing to their bodies every day.

I deal with this every single day in my medical practice. Quite honestly, it is one significant reason that I am leaving family practice next month after 24 years. Not only do patients no longer care about their weight, they get highly offended when I broach the topic. I'm sorry but when you are coming to see me because your knees hurt, your low back hurts, your sleep apnea is keeping you awake, your heartburn is worsening, or you are getting out of breath when you go up the stairs, it's insane to think I'm not going to mention the fact that you are 5-foot-6 and weigh 285 pounds. I guarantee you 100% that if you weighed 150 like you are supposed to, you wouldn't have any of those problems.

But no, it's no longer politically correct to tell people they need to lose weight. What is odd is that one of the "quality metrics" for which I and other doctors are tracked by the insurance companies is calculating and documenting every patient's BMI. What the hell is the point of doing that if we aren't going to do a damn thing to address it?

Sorry, but this is a huge pet peeve of mine.
I totally understand what you're saying. But I'm on the other end of the equation, and I see a different scenario.

In the past 30 years, pretty much 99% of the time I've seen a doctor (admittedly, that's not a lot of times as I don't get sick) the treatment plan is "lose weight"--and nothing else. Doesn't matter what the complaint is--accident with maybe a broken bone, weird rash, scary lump--lose weight and it will fall off, heal up, grow back.

I was in a weird accident in 2011--my knee ended up going totally backwards (while it was twisted to the side.) I did finally get one x-ray (the physical therapist gasped and said "OMG you've torn almost everything in your knee" but I was assured by three doctors that it would be fine once I lost weight.

Yes, it would be nice if doctors would actually look at a problem without brushing it off as "you need to lose weight" and doing nothing.

I don't know what the percentage of "just lose weight" doctors are--but in a social group we were talking about that and it was a bit scary that so many of us hadn't really received any actual medical care for a long time because we never get past the "hello, here's a diet sheet, bye bye" office visits. One joked that someone could fall, have the bone actually sticking out of their arm and would be told "lose weight and it will go back in by itself."