View Single Post
Old 08-04-2017, 01:14 PM
$ Saving HS Sophomore

Forum Posts: 162

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneysteve View Post
This certainly isn't new, and it's lunacy IMO.

Society has decided that we should ignore people's physical appearance and just love everybody for who they are and encourage them to love themselves as they are rather than making any effort to deal with the outrageous damage they are doing to their bodies every day.

I deal with this every single day in my medical practice. Quite honestly, it is one significant reason that I am leaving family practice next month after 24 years. Not only do patients no longer care about their weight, they get highly offended when I broach the topic. I'm sorry but when you are coming to see me because your knees hurt, you low back hurts, your sleep apnea is keeping you awake, your heartburn is worsening, or you are getting out of breath when you go up the stairs, it's insane to think I'm not going to mention the fact that you are 5-foot-6 and weigh 285 pounds. I guarantee you 100% that if you weighed 150 like you are supposed to, you wouldn't have any of those problems.

But no, it's no longer politically correct to tell people they need to lose weight. What is odd is that one of the "quality metrics" for which I and other doctors are tracked by the insurance companies is calculating and documenting every patient's BMI. What the hell is the point of doing that if we aren't going to do a damn thing to address it?

Sorry, but this is a huge pet peeve of mine.
I'm glad you responded to this because it is BS. I'd venture to say an overweight person probably has different underlying factors to similar medical conditions than a person who is not overweight. There is more than one cause to back pain etc.