A price match guarantee is a store’s promise. They promise that if you find an item they sell offered by another retailer at a lower price then they will match that low price. However, each store differs in their interpretation of this promise. Walmart already has some of the lowest prices in the nation. Nevertheless, you can sometimes save money if you know the details of the price match guarantee at Walmart.
What is a Price Match Guarantee?
A price match guarantee, without any limitations, is a store’s promise to give you the lowest price in the market on any particular item. They essentially say, “we believe we have the lowest price. However, if you find the identical item elsewhere at a lower price, then we will match that.”
This is a way that retailers solidify their reputation for offering low prices. They do it because:
- They know that they already offer low prices and so will often already have the lowest price in the marketplace.
- It looks good to customers who like low prices to advertise that they will always give the lowest price.
- In many cases, when there’s actually a lower price out there in the marketplace, most customers don’t bother to take advantage of it anyway. So they get the credibility without having to actually pay the piper.
- It increases brand loyalty. People want to shop where they believe they’ll find the lowest prices.
However, there are always exceptions, limitations, and rules to a price match guarantee.
What is the Price Match Guarantee at Walmart
Since there always are those exceptions, you have to look carefully at each store’s policies. The price match guarantee at Walmart (available on their website) has four key limitations:
1. Walmart Only Matches Prices on Exactly Identical Items
This is one of the most common price match guarantee limitations. After all, the entire concept is that they offer the lowest price on the same item in the marketplace. Therefore, it’s important that you check to make sure that your item is truly identical before you submit it for a price match guarantee at Walmart. Things to look for:
- Is it the cheaper item the same brand as the one at Walmart?
- Are you looking at the same size?
- How many of the item is in a box or container?
- Is there a model number? If so, then it must match exactly.
- Did you find an item with a lower price at another retailer but it’s in a different color? Yes, even the color must be identical for it to qualify for the price match guarantee at Walmart.
2. The Item Must Be In Stock at Both Places
If you want to compare prices on an item that’s for sale online, then the item must be in stock at both places. In other words, Walmart must have the item in stock. Plus the other retailer must have the item in stock. If either store does not have the item in stock then it doesn’t qualify for the price match option.
Some stores offer “rain checks” for purchase of items that are not currently in stock. In other words, if you find the item cheaper elsewhere, but it’s not available at Walmart, you can secure the lower price when it becomes available. However, Walmart DOES NOT offer that option. If it’s not in stock in both stores, it doesn’t qualify.
3. Price Match Guarantee at Walmart is Limited to One Item Per Day
If you do a lot of shopping at Walmart then you might have a lot of items to try to get the lowest price on. If you’re a savvy shopper, then you might realize that you have multiple items that qualify for a price match guarantee at Walmart. However, you can’t take advantage of them all at once.
4. Only Certain Retail Prices Get Matched
This is the most important limitation on the price match guarantee at Walmart. You can’t just go to any online retailer in the world, find a cheaper price, and get a price match. In fact, you can only get the price match if you find a lower price at very specific online retailers.
Walmart will match a lower price if you find at one of these online stores:
- Auto Zone
- Bed, Bath, and Beyond
- Best Buy
- Dick’s Sporting Goods
- Dollar General
- Family Dollar
- Home Depot
- JC Penney
- Office Depot.com
- O’reilly Auto
- Pep Boys.com
In other words, Walmart is basically saying, “these are our direct competitors. Therefore, we want to make sure that you shop with us instead of them. As a result, we’ll match their lowest prices if you find something in stock on their sites that you can’t find at the same or lower price on the Walmart.com site.”
Additional Limitations on the Walmart Price Match Guarantee
In addition to those core rules, Walmart specifically outlines many instances in which people might expect to get their price match guarantee but actually will not qualify. Walmart does not offer price matching for:
- If you’re shopping from Hawaii or Alaska; price match guarantee is only for continental United States Walmart shopping
- When their own item is later discounted in price; you don’t get the difference back just because the price went down
- Third-party and Marketplace seller prices
- Damaged items, used items, or even items that have been refurbished
- Various discounts (applied at checkout, percentage off, dollar off, bundles, rebates, coupons, etc.)
- Similarly, items where the price requires a membership, a minimum quantity, or can’t be determined outside of extra charges such as shipping
- Prices during Black Friday weekend; the price match guarantee at Walmart is effectively out of commission from Thanksgiving Day through the end of CyberMonday
As you can see, there are a lot of limitations on the store’s price match guarantee. You probably aren’t going to save a lot of money taking advantage of this offer. Nevertheless, if you’re online anyway, then you might as well search those sites listed above for a better price on any items in your Walmart.com cart before you check out.
How to Get the Walmart Price Match
If you think that you do qualify, then here’s what to do to request the price match guarantee at Walmart:
- Contact Walmart Customer Care. Do this BEFORE you place your online order.
- Give them the exact details of the lowest price offer at another online retailer. Make sure that you provide them with as much information as possible.
- If they confirm that you do get the discount, they will provide information on how to obtain the lower price.
Can You Get Price Match In the Walmart Store?
Most of this information applies to shopping online at Walmart.com. However, you can take advantage of some price match guarantee deals at the Walmart store cash registers as well.
If you find a price at the store for an identical item that’s available for a lower price at either Walmart.com or Jet.com, then you can request the lower price at the register. Notify the cashier about the price difference before they ring up the item. Provide them with the details about the lower price. They will look it up and may have to consult a supervisor. If you qualify, you’ll get the lower price on the spot.
Save Money with VPN
Here is another way to save money apart from Walmart price match is using VPN. VPN is the only tool to secure users private data and avoid data leak or minor the risk to get malware or any other way of fraud. Great option of a VPN while saving money, as Atlas vpn is the cheapest on the market.
Give the gift of savings! Learn more
- Do You Know What the Price Match Guarantee is at Home Depot?
- Does Costco Price Match with Other Retailers?
- How to Price Match at Best Buy During the Holidays
If you enjoy reading our blog posts and would like to try your hand at blogging, we have good news for you; you can do exactly that on Saving Advice. Just click here to get started. If you want to be able to customize your blog on your own domain and need hosting service, we recommend trying BlueHost. They offer powerful hosting services for $3.95/month!