Did you get enough holiday shopping done already? Or do you want to ring in the new year with some last minute 2020 purchases? If you’re looking to get in some retail shopping before the year comes to a close, then you’ll want to know which stores are open on New Year’s Eve? Some are open, some are closed, and some are open but for limited hours only. Here’s everything that you need to know.
New Year’s Eve vs. New Year’s Day Store Hours
Many of us think of New Year’s Eve as the holiday. After all, that’s when you go to parties. It’s when the ball drops. It’s when you kiss at midnight and toast with champagne.
However, as far as retail stores and other businesses go, New Year’s Day is actually the holiday. While some stores observe both New Year’s Eve and New Year’s Day, many only observe the latter. If a store is going to be open for one and not the other, then expect them to close for New Year’s Day.
Therefore, if you want to do some end of the year shopping, then you should be in some luck. Plan to shop on New Year’s Eve then assume that many stores will close for New Year’s Day.
New Year’s Eve Retail Store Hours 2020
Here are some of the major stores that you might wonder about as far as whether or not they’re open New Year’s Eve (Thursday, December 31st) 2020:
You can shop at BJ’s on both New Year’s Eve and New Year’s Day. They should be open 9-7 on 12/31/20 and 10-7 on 1/1/21.
Costco is open on New Year’s Eve. However, it’s one of the holidays they close early for. Therefore, you want to get in and get that bulk shopping done as early as possible on 12/31/20. The store will stay closed New Year’s Day.
Sam’s Club warehouses are open on New Year’s Eve. They should be open regular store hours. Therefore, they should open at 10 am and remain open until 8 pm. Then they close down for New Year’s Day. Of course, it’s always prudent to check with your local store to confirm before heading out in the cold to do New Year’s Eve shopping.
Target stays open most days throughout the year. They rarely close. Therefore, you won’t be surprised to learn that they’re open on New Year’s Eve 2020. Most Target stores will have regular hours on New Year’s Eve.
Note that hours have changed for the holiday season and due to COVID-19, so check with your location to find out what current Target store hours are at the location nearest you. That said, most stores open at 8 am and close at 9 p or 10 pm.
Walmart is open for business as usual on New Year’s Eve. In fact, they’re open normal store hours on New Year’s Day as well. Therefore, if you need to do some shopping, Walmart is a good bet this year.
Other Stores Open on New Year’s Eve
According to Offers.com, here are some additional store’s open on New Year’s Eve:
- Academy Sports and Outdoors opens at 9 am and closes at 7 pm
- Bed, Bath and Beyond opens at 9 am and closes at 6 pm
- Best Buy opens at 11 a and closes at 7 pm
- Dick’s Sporting goods opens at 9 am and closes at 7 pm
- Dillard’s should open normal store hours, which varies by mall, but is usually ~ 11 am – 6 pm
- Hobby Lobby opens at 9 am and closes at 5:3o pm
- Home Depot is open for 12 hours on New Year’s Eve from 6-6
- IKEA opens at 10 am and closes at 6 pm
- JC Penney opens at 11 am and closes at 7 pm
- Kohl’s opens at 9 am and closes at 10 pm
- Like Home Depot, Lowe’s is open for 12 hours on New Year’s Eve from 6-6
- Macy’s opens at 11 am and closes at 6 pm, although that can vary by mall location
- Neiman Marcus opens at 11 amp and closes at 5 pm
- Nordstrom opens at 10 and closes at 6 pm
- Party City is open but with varying hours by location; if you need last minute New Year’s Eve party supplies then stop in early!
Look For New Year’s Sales and Deals
Most people don’t think about New Year’s Eve sales. After all, between Black Friday and Cybermonday and then all of the Christmas shopping, it’s hard to imagine that any stores are offering big deals again before the year comes to an end. However, many of the do. Keep an eye out for those last minute after-Christmas New Year’s discounts. A few recommended this year from Retail Me Not include:
- Bed, Bath and Beyond: Coupon for 20% off one item – get a good deal on something big
- Best Buy: Good selection of TVs under $500 before the New Year
- Big 5 Sporting Goods: $10 off $50+
- Express: ~50% off everything
- Kohls’: 50% off select styles
- The Children’s Place: 60% off all clearance items before the New Year
- Walgreens: 20% off pickup orders $25+
- Pandora: 50% off select jewelry styles
Online and in-store shopping everywhere from Amazon to Ulta may have discounts. Don’t fail to take advantage of those deals if you’re doing New Year’s Eve 2020 shopping.
Other Businesses on New Year’s Eve 2020
You might wonder about other types of businesses New Year’s Eve schedule. Many are open. For example:
- The post office is open New Year’s Eve but closed New Year’s Day.
- Banks are open on New Year’s Eve, although some may have limited store hours. They’re closed New Year’s Day.
- The stock market is open New Year’s Eve but closed New Year’s Day.
- The bond market closes early on New Year’s eve (2 pm ET) and stays closed New Year’s Day.
- Grocery stores, convenience stores, drug stores, and gas stations typically have regular operating hours on both New Year’s Eve and New Year’s Day.
- Restaurants generally have regular hours on New Year’s Eve. Some may even stay open later than usual.
Also, remember that you can donate to charity on New Year’s Eve and still have it count towards your 2020 taxes! Happy New Year!!
Give the gift of savings! Learn more
- Is Target Closed on New Years Eve 2020?
- Is Costco Open New Years Day?
- Is the Stock Market Open On New Years Day?
If you enjoy reading our blog posts and would like to try your hand at blogging, we have good news for you; you can do exactly that on Saving Advice. Just click here to get started. If you want to be able to customize your blog on your own domain and need hosting service, we recommend trying BlueHost. They offer powerful hosting services for $3.95/month!