Since it was established in 2006, (RED) has raised more than $275 million for The Global Fund, with $75 million of that funding coming from Apple. (RED) was co-founded in 2006 by U2’s Bono and Bobby Shriver to promote HIV/AIDS prevention and treatment resources worldwide. (RED)’s partners include Apple, Bank of America, Beats By Dre, Coca Cola, Starbucks, Telcel, Bed, Bath, and Beyond, and Square amongst many others.
Apple CEO, Tim Cook, is calling this season’s campaign the biggest of theirs yet. They started planning for the initiative back in May, when they began strategizing with developers to customize their apps to feature (RED) additions and promotions. For example, Electronic Art’s FIFA 15 players can compete in a (RED)-themed tournament, and Zynga’s CSR Racing players can purchase a (RED) Mercedes-Benz AMG GT. Starting December 7th, to celebrate the cause, the GarageBand new in-app purchase Loop Pack that will have 300 guitar, synth, drum, and bass loops spanning over a variety of musical genres, will feature a (RED)-esque background.
Some of the apps that are participating in the (RED) campaign are the following:
- Angry Birds – Now lets players hone their skills with a new (RED) Mighty Feather tool
- Bubble Witch 2
- Saga CSR Racing Clash of Clans – Players have the option to fight with a (RED) badge of honor and (RED) gems
- Cut the Rope 2 – features a vast selection of (RED) items such as hat, ginger cookie, and balloons
- Despicable Me: Minion Rush
- DJay 2’s – a limited-time sound package that includes spin tables that turn (RED)
- FIFA 15 Ultimate Team – players can win (RED) ambassador status
- Farmville 2: Country Escape Frozen Free Fall – the Kingdom of Arendelle will include a special (RED) challenge
- Garageband: Loop Pack will contain 300 bass, drum, guitar, synth loops featuring a (RED)-esque background
- Kim Kardashian: Hollywood Head’s Up!
- The Human Body – Will include a new booklet educating readers on HIV/AIDS
- Kitchen Stories Cookbook Over – 6 artists have designed a series of new (RED) fonts, as well as new (RED) boarders
- Paper by Fifty Three – Sketch, Outline, Write, Mixer, and Color tools will all contain (RED) components
- Puzzle & Dragons – limited-time access to the (RED) magic stone
- Rayman Fiesta Run – players can now purchase costumes for Rayman, Globox, and Teensy characters that each have a (RED) twist
- Star Walk 2 – The section on Mars now features a (RED) learning tool
- Sims FreePlay – Players have the option to buy (RED) swimming pool, piñata, and party plane
- Toca Boca – the game now includes (RED) diamonds and (RED) ice cream!