Monday, September 6, 2021 marks Labor Day. This is the next federal holiday up on the calendar. As a result, many things are closed this day. However, most retail stores stay open. In fact, many have big Labor Day sales in order to celebrate the end of summer and the return to school. Here’s the retail open/closed for Labor Day 2021:
What and When Is Labor Day?
Labor Day is always the first Monday of September. It’s a federal holiday recognizing workers rights in America. As a result, federal buildings and services shut down. For example, post offices and banks close for Labor Day. However, retail stores typically take another approach.
Despite their appreciation for their workers, particularly during the stresses of the COVID-19 pandemic, most businesses see this as an opportunity for big sales. Therefore, most stay open. However, not all of them choose to do so. There’s one business well-known to close for Labor Day. Not sure which one? Read on.
Retail Open/Closed For Labor Day: Sales
Labor Day is a huge day for retail sales. One of the main reasons is that this is a Monday holiday. Therefore, a lot of people who work typical jobs but have the day off. This gives them a three-day weekend. Therefore, they have the opportunity to go shopping. With more people shopping, stores like to entice them in with big sales.
Moreover, Labor Day represents the end of summer as well as back-to-school time. Although the actual holiday has nothing to do with this, its timing means that’s the way we usually think of it in America. Therefore, it’s a great time for retail stores to have end-of-summer sales as well as great deal on all back-to-school supplies. Furthermore, people often celebrate the holiday with picnics and barbecues, so some stores have sales all weekend long for those items.
That’s why there’s retail open/closed for Labor Day 2021, but most of the stores are open. Moreover, most of them offer sales.
Retail Open/Closed for Labor Day 2021
Honestly, when you’re asking about retail open/closed for Labor Day 2021, the answer is that most stores are open. Pretty much any big name store that you can think of will likely be open during this holiday. However, locally-owned, independent, small stores may choose to close their doors in honor of the holiday. Similarly, most retail stores keep regular store hours on Labor Day. That said, if you’re planning to shop very early or late in the day, then you might want to call the store to confirm their hours.
One Major Store Closed on Labor Day
There is one major exception to the “they’re probably open rule.” Costco closes for Labor Day. Therefore, if you need Labor Day picnic or barbecue supplies, you’ll need to go Costco shopping on Sunday, September 5, 2021 instead. Alternatively, you’ll need to shop somewhere else. Most other grocery stores, drug stores, and convenience stores will stay open.
Examples of Retail Open for Labor Day 2021
Asked about retail open/closed for Labor Day 2021, Reader’s Digest said that the following stores are open:
- Barnes & Noble. If you’re looking to purchase books, then you’re in luck. This huge retailer is open on Labor Day.
- CVS. Like other major drugstores, CVS stays open on Labor Day.
- Dollar General. Most dollar stores and discount stores stay open for Labor Day.
- Dollar Tree. Similar to Dollar General, Dollar Tree is a great place to get back-to-school supplies.
- Gap. Most retail clothing stores stay open for Labor Day. This is terrific news for anyone who needs to do back-to-school clothes shopping.
- Home Depot. The home repair and maintenance giant doesn’t close its doors for Labor Day. Shop away.
- Kohl’s. Here’s another great clothing store option for back-to-school shopping.
- Lowe’s. Like Home Depot, Lowe’s is open for the day. Check shops like these for sales on big ticket summer items such as grills, lawn care equipment, and patio furniture.
- Macy’s. Whether you’re looking for discounts on summer clothing or shopping for fall, Macy’s is another store where you can do so on Labor Day.
- Marshall’s. As you can tell, Labor Day is a big shopping day for many clothing retailers.
- Nordstrom. It’s not just the kids going back to school for fall. If you’re returning to class yourself, perhaps you want to update your wardrobe as well.
- Nordstrom Rack. The more affordable version of the Nordstrom store is open for Labor Day as well.
- Rite Aid. Similar to CVS, Rite Aid rarely closes for holidays.
- Sears. It’s easy to get affordable back-to-school clothing at Sears over Labor Day Weekend.
- Staples. Stock up on all of the back-to-school office supplies you’ll need.
- T.J. Maxx. Here’s another great choice for affordable clothing.
- Target. Obviously, Target is a great one-stop shop on Labor Day. Get back-to-school supplies and clothing at the same time.
- Walgreens. Remember that even though drug stores are open for Labor Day, their pharmacies might not be. Therefore, you should call ahead if that’s what you’re heading to Walgreens for.
- Walmart. Like Target, you can get it all at Walmart. In addition to the back-to-school supplies, remember to check for sales on summer items. Additionally, pick up snacks for those lunchboxes you’ll be packing soon.
Additionally, shopping malls and the stores inside them should be open.
Liquor Stores May Close on Labor Day
Is liquor shopping on your mind when considering the retail open/closed on Labor Day 2021? If so, then the answer is “it depends.” In some states, liquor stores are controlled by the government. Labor Day is a federal holiday. Therefore, apparently liquor stores close down on Labor Day in those states. On the other hand, many states aren’t regulated in the same way. Therefore, in those states, liquor stores are open on Labor Day. It’s a unique issue.
I’m from Arizona originally. Now I live in California. Both of those states don’t have this concern. Their liquor stores are open on Labor Day. Therefore, I never knew that this was an issue until I turned to the Internet to do some research and learned about it!
- Is The Post Office Open Labor Day 2021?
- Is The Stock Market Closed on Labor Day?
- Costco Labor Day Weekend Hours
If you enjoy reading our blog posts and would like to try your hand at blogging, we have good news for you; you can do exactly that on Saving Advice. Just click here to get started.