Saving money can be extremely difficult at times, especially when you’re suffering from a health condition. You’re forced to spend an incredible amount of money on all sorts of medications and supplements regularly. Before you know it, you’ll have no control over your finances. You can’t neglect your health condition either, as it would only worsen your condition, which often leads to even more expenses. The worst-case scenario is you’ll have to get admitted to a hospital, where you’ll incur massive amounts of medical bills, which would eventually turn into debt.
But, as always, there are ways to prevent this financial downfall, especially now that the healthcare industry is bustling. Now, you can find all kinds of products that promote a healthy lifestyle at an affordable price. One particular example is neck roll pillows.
What Is A Neck Roll Pillow?
As you may already know, posture is incredibly important when sleeping. When you’re in a favorable position, your muscles tend to relax, which promotes healing and better sleep. This is quite beneficial since your sleep has a lot to do with your lifestyle. Unfortunately, sleeping in a favorable position is fairly tricky as you have no control when you’re sleeping.
A neck roll pillow, however, makes this easier by providing better support for your neck. It does this by maintaining the lordotic curve–the natural shape of your spine–where each part of the spine, including the discs and joints, is handling the same amount of pressure. Doing so eliminates the possibility that a part of your spine has too much pressure. As a result, the upper part of your body will be relaxed for most of the time you’re sleeping.
Most cervical pillows have a cylindrical shape, but they may also come in different forms, such as:
- Cylindrical neck roll pillows: This is the original variation of cervical pillows.
- D-core pillows: You can also find cervical pillows that consist of a D-shaped indention in the middle designed to accommodate your head, hence the name.
- Ergonomic pillows: These pillows often have indentions on their center, but the indention is wavy to provide equal padding for your neck and head.
- Horseshoe-shaped pillows: You’ve probably already seen your fair share of these pillows. This is the variation of pillows that wraps around your neck.
How Neck Roll Pillows Help You Save Money
On top of its shape, neck roll pillow products may also consist of a variety of materials–cotton and memory foam being some of the most common in the market. When picking the material, doctors recommend prioritizing comfort before anything else.
In regards to price, remember that the cost of cervical pillows ranges from USD$35 to USD$100. It’s up to you whether you want to choose a pillow in the upper end or the lower end of this spectrum.
Still, these pillows are surprisingly affordable considering how they can potentially prevent all sorts of health conditions that may result from inadequate sleep, specifically neck pain.
1. Neck Roll Pillows Eliminates The Need For Pain Relief Products
Contrary to common belief, a huge part of why you’re feeling discomfort after a seemingly sound sleep is because of your pillow. It either forces your spine to be out of the correct alignment or it doesn’t provide enough support. When this routine continues, you may develop a bad case of neck pain. When that happens, life will become incredibly difficult.
For instance, it becomes harder to turn your head, affecting your range of motion. You might also become anxious and frustrated due to the reduced mobility. Of course, you always have the option of purchasing neck pain relief products, but doing so only leads to more expenses.
For one, it doesn’t solve the underlying problem. Plus, you’ll eventually exhaust your finances by buying the products regularly, which isn’t ideal. For your reference, wellness products for neck pain would cost you around USD$10 a day. If you don’t want to add to your expenses due to neck pain, it might be best to get a neck roll pillow.
A neck roll pillow provides an excellent way to relieve yourself from pain while also serving as an effective remedy for the health issue. But you should remember that it may take a few weeks or months before it can fully treat the condition.
2. You Don’t Have To Get Sleeping Pills
It’s already an established fact that neck pain often leads to poor sleep. After all, it’s tough to sleep when experiencing any type of pain. For that reason, most individuals suffering from neck pain are recommended to take medication to adapt to their ever-changing sleep schedule. These may include sleeping pills, pain relief medications, and other wellness products. Unfortunately, this, too, can be financially devastating.
For starters, sleeping pills can cost you around USD$40 per week, while some medications may cost more. Also, it typically takes months to recover from sleep deprivation, so your expenses would be off the roof for quite a while. Most importantly, sleep deprivation can potentially lead to mental health problems, such as anxiety and depression.
If it comes to that point, you’ll also have to worry about medical bills. If you want to lower your expenses on wellness products and medical bills, purchasing a neck roll pillow would go a long way as it improves sleep quality.
3. Neck Roll Pillows Are Multi-Purpose
Another reason why neck roll pillow is generally a cost-effective product is that it’s often multi-purpose. Since it serves numerous purposes for different people, neck roll pillows are known for different names, such as cervical pillows, yoga bolsters, and bolster pillows. Of course, although neck roll pillows are multi-purpose in nature, it still provides the same benefits–to ensure that your neck or your other body parts are given sufficient support to relax comfortably.
Here are some examples of the several uses of neck roll pillows:
- Bed Pillow: The main use for neck roll pillows is as a bed pillow. It’s not as big as traditional pillows, but it provides better support than most, especially to back and side sleepers.
- Additional Support: You can also place your neck roll pillows under or on top of your main pillow to serve as extra support. Having a thicker pillow works perfectly when you’re doing something while lying on your bed, such as watching movies or reading a book.
- Arm Support: Sleeping on your stomach is generally a bad idea as it puts more pressure on your neck and back. That’s why it’s always a good idea to place support on the area around your arms to prevent you from rolling over and sleeping on your stomach.
- Orthopedic Pillow: Orthopedic pillows are recommended by doctors to correct your posture. It’s recommended to use these at all times, even if you’re not sleeping. That’s why neck roll pillows, specifically the horse-shaped ones, can be a perfect orthopedic pillow since you can wrap them around your neck while you perform other tasks.
- Travel Pillow: Neck roll pillows can be excellent travel pillows for the same purpose as the previous one. You can wrap it around your neck, allowing you to rest your head when traveling.
- Yoga Bolster: If you often go to a yoga studio, you’re probably aware that instructors recommend having a yoga bolster–a pillow that serves as a support for different parts of your body to help reduce the pressure on your body when switching from pose to pose. You can use neck roll pillows as yoga bolsters since both have the same structure.
If you’re a fan of saving money, you should know very well the advantages of multi-purpose products. More specifically, multi-purpose products eliminate the need to purchase other products that have similar functionalities. In the case of neck roll pillows, you don’t have to spend money on buying wellness products like an orthopedic pillow since the one you have already had practically the same functionality, thereby saving you money.
4. Cervical Pillows Can Last For At Least A Year
One of the best parts about neck roll pillows is that they’re not high-maintenance. The common practice is to replace your pillow every one to two years. Take note that this value would vary according to the material used for the pillow, be it buckwheat, cotton, foam, feather, and such.
If you’re starting to feel neck pain, you can also replace your neck roll pillow earlier than expected. You should also check if the fillings are still distributed evenly. If not, consider buying another neck roll pillow.
Regardless, this would mean you only have to spend USD$100, at most, every year, so it shouldn’t put too much of a toll on your finances. Compare that to spending over USD$100 on wellness products a month, and you should know which is the better option.
5. You Can Make Your Own Neck Roll Pillow
Yes, if you’re a fan of do-it-yourself (DIY) projects, you’ll be glad to know that you can manufacture your own neck roll pillow using a bath towel. Granted, it may not be as effective as the best-selling products you see on the internet, but it still serves its purpose quite decently. It is, however, an excellent substitute if you’re on a tight budget at the moment.
If you do intend on going full DIY, this neck roll pillow DIY guide would be extremely helpful. But if that’s not the case, you can always get a neck roll pillow from different places.
Where Can You Get A Neck Roll Pillow?
If you’re in a hurry to get a neck roll pillow ready for the night, you can start by going to your local pharmacy and ask if they have cervical pillows since it’s practically an orthopedic pillow. If they don’t, you can proceed to a nearby store, although their offerings are typically more expensive than in most places. Surprisingly, you can also find neck roll pillows in airports, which further proves the point that it can be an excellent travel pillow.
However, the best place to buy these products is on the internet. Simply searching the keyword ‘neck roll pillow’ on the search engine would yield millions of results, showing you various merchants offering the product. The main reason why it’s the best option is that you’ll find various options, such as varying materials, shapes, and sizes. Since you’ll be spending your money on the neck roll pillow, you might as well make the most out of it.
How To Make The Most Of Your Cervical Pillow?
Before anything else, you must prepare the neck roll pillow before you sleep. You simply have to place it inside one of your pillowcases. When placing the pillow on the bed, make sure it supports your neck when you place your head. This part is relatively easy, but the hard part is when you’re deciding what position to sleep in when using a cervical pillow.
For your reference, there are three main ways to sleep:
- On the back: Lying on your back is perhaps the best position to maintain your spine alignment. If you sleep this way, make sure the neck roll pillow slightly presses up against the back of the neck. This would mean that the pillow is doing its job perfectly.
- On the sides: If you’re sleeping on the left or the right side, ensure that the neck roll pillow fills the gap between your shoulder and head.
- On the stomach: It’s best to switch to either one of the previous two since it’s not advisable to sleep this way, especially if you’re suffering from neck pain.
Although your main reason for getting a neck roll pillow is to save money on wellness products, it’s worth noting that you may notice some discomfort when first using the pillow. This is mainly because you’re still getting accustomed to your new position. There’s no need to purchase pain relief products in this case since it would only take a few days before you can completely adapt to this change.
Neck roll pillows are undoubtedly effective in preventing neck pain and improving your sleep quality, but it’s essential to recognize that they too have limits. It may not completely eliminate the need to buy wellness products, but it’s worth buying nonetheless. After all, the money-saving potential of these pillows should be more than enough to make up for their cost, considering how their price doesn’t differ much from regular pillows.