People have a pretty standard idea about how the United States Postal Service (USPS) operates on weekdays. However, is the post office open on the weekends? If so, what are the post office hours on Saturday and Sunday? If you have a package to send, and you can’t get to the post office during the week, then what options are available to you? Here are the answers to all of those questions.
Is The Post Office Open on Weekends?
Your local post office is open Mondays – Fridays. In other words, there’s no doubt that you can head to your local post office to mail something or check your PO Box on a weekday (unless it happens to be a holiday.) However, the weekends are different.
Some post office locations aren’t open at all on the weekends. Other locations are open on Saturdays, but not on Sundays. For those locations that are open on Saturdays, the post office hours usually differ from their workday hours. Furthermore, there are some exceptions to the usual weekend hours including during Christmas season and at post office locations inside of other retail stores.
Some Post Offices Are Open Saturdays
Post office hours differ from location to location. This is particularly true when it comes to Saturday hours. Some locations aren’t open at all. Many are open with limited hours, closing earlier on Saturdays than on weekdays. A handful of others may be open regular hours on Saturdays. There’s no clear answer that applies across the board. Therefore, if you want to find out if your post office location has Saturday hours, then you’ll need to check directly with them.
You can use the online USPS locator to find out hours of the post office locations near you. When I searched within one mile of my personal zip code, I found three locations with the following hours:
- M-F: 9 – 5, Sat: 9 – 4, Sun: closed
- M-F: 8 – 6, Sat: 8 – 3, Sun: closed
- M-F: 1 pm – 3 pm and 3:15 pm – 5 pm, Sat and Sun: closed
Put another way, I found that all three locations closest to me were closed on Sundays. Two were open on Saturdays, closing one hour and three hours earlier than weekdays respectively.
In contrast, I checked within 5 miles of where my parents live and found that of the seven available locations, only one was open on Saturdays. Obviously, the USPS budget and post office hours vary widely from place to place.
The Post Office is Closed on Sundays
Almost all post office locations are closed on Sundays. The main reason is to reduce operating costs. In other words, the USPS saves money by closing all locations one day per week. However, there are two key exceptions that allow some Sunday post office hours:
- Some locations have Sunday post office hours on the two Sundays before Christmas Day each year. Due to the increase in mail processing during the holidays, some locations opt to open on these two Sundays.
- There are post offices location inside of various retail stores. In some instances, these are 7-day-per-week post offices. Therefore, you may be able to find Sunday post office hours at such locations.
Post Office Closed for Holidays
The post office observes a federal holiday schedule. Therefore, they’ll be closed the following days in 2021:
- New Years Day
- Martin Luther King Jr. Day
- President’s Day
- Memorial Day
- Independence Day (they will close on Monday, July 5th in observance, since they are already closed on Sunday, July 4)
- Labor Day
- Columbus Day
- Veterans Day
- Thanksgiving Day
- Christmas Day (Christmas is on a Saturday; many post office locations will also close Christmas Ev in observance of the holiday, especially those that don’t keep regular Saturday post hours.)
Does The Post Office Deliver Mail on The Weekends?
You might already know the answer to this question if you check your mail regularly. The United States Postal Service delivers mail six days per week. Therefore, you do receive mail in your mailbox on Saturdays. However, the post office does not deliver mail on Sundays.
- What Is The Best Place to Buy Stamps Online?
- How Much Is a Stamp? Current Postage Rates
- Where Can I Buy Postage Stamps After Hours?
If you enjoy reading our blog posts and would like to try your hand at blogging, we have good news for you; you can do exactly that on Saving Advice. Just click here to get started. If you want to be able to customize your blog on your own domain and need hosting service, we recommend trying BlueHost. They offer powerful hosting services for $3.95/month!