Monday, October 12, 2020, is Columbus Day. Many people get to enjoy a day off from work, and a decent portion of them may choose to spend the day shopping. However, as with most federal holidays, it isn’t always easy to figure out which retailers might be open or closed. If you wanted to head to Target this Monday, you’re probably wondering, is Target open on Columbus Day? If so, here’s a look at Target’s schedule for the holiday.
Is Target Open on Columbus Day?
Yes, Target is open on Columbus Day. Most locations will use their traditional Monday operating hours, so you shouldn’t have to make an adjustment to your schedule if you want to head to Target. Here’s a look at a typical Target operating schedule:
- Monday through Friday: 8:00 am to 10:00 pm
- Saturday: 8:00 am to 10:00 pm (or 11:00 pm)
- Sunday: 8:00 am to 10:00 pm
It is important to note that certain stores may have schedules that deviate from the norm. For instance, high-traffic Target stores in large cities might have extended hours while small town, low-traffic Target locations might open later or close earlier. If you are hoping to shop late at night or early in the morning, you might want to contact your local Target in advance to see when it is open before you make the trip.
Additionally, if you do head to Target on Columbus Day, you might be able to score some discounts. Many items might be available for less, thanks to Target’s weekly sales. You might also find certain products on clearance, particularly summer seasonal goods and select back-to-school items.
Are Other Stores Open on Columbus Day?
Yes, the vast majority of retail stores are open on Columbus Day – including popular chains such as Walmart and Costco, as well as a number of small businesses. However, while chain stores usually follow the same holiday schedule (one that is typically set by a corporate office), every small business retailer can control their own hours and may choose to close for Columbus Day.
Additionally, grocery stores, restaurants, drug stores, and gas stations are mainly open during the holiday. While some may use a holiday operating schedule, most will follow their usual Monday hours of operation. However, independent grocers, gas stations, pharmacies, or any other non-chain location might choose to close, so you might want to call in advance to see if any small business location is open.
You also need to be aware that many government offices and agencies do close on Columbus Day, including the post office. Further, some government-operated establishments such as public libraries, do not open. Others, such as national parks, do. If you plan to head to a location run by the federal, state, or local government, it’s wise to call if it will be open before you start moving that way. Otherwise, you may arrive only to find that it is closed.
Target Holiday Schedule 2020
Retailers are not required to follow the federal holiday schedule. Instead, the store’s corporate office or owner gets to decide whether the business will open or close. As a result, every retailer’s schedule might vary somewhat from the others, and that can be a bit confusing for shoppers.
All Target stores use the same holiday schedule. Here is an overview of the 2020 Target holiday schedule:
- Wednesday, January 1 (New Year’s Day): Target stores are open
- Monday, January 20 (Martin Luther King Jr. Day): Target stores are open
- Friday, February 14 (Valentine’s Day): Target stores are open
- Monday, February 17 (Presidents’ Day): Target stores are open
- Tuesday, March 17 (St. Patrick’s Day): Target stores are open
- Friday, April 10 (Good Friday): Target stores are open
- Sunday, April 12 (Easter Sunday): Target stores are closed
- Monday, April 13 (Easter Monday): Target stores are open
- Sunday, May 10 (Mother’s Day): Target stores are open
- Monday, May 25 (Memorial Day): Target stores are open
- Sunday, June 21 (Father’s Day): Target stores are open
- Saturday, July 4 (Independence Day): Target stores are open
- Monday, September 7 (Labor Day): Target stores are open
- Monday, October 12 (Columbus Day): Target stores are open
- Saturday, October 31 (Halloween): Target stores are open
- Wednesday, November 11 (Veteran’s Day): Target stores are open
- Thursday, November 26 (Thanksgiving Day): Target stores are open, but for limited hours
- Friday, November 27 (Black Friday): Target stores are open for extended hours
- Thursday, December 24 (Christmas Eve): Target stores are open, and they have extended operating hours
- Friday, December 25 (Christmas Day): Target stores are closed
- Thursday, December 31 (New Year’s Eve): Target stores are open
- Friday, January 1, 2021 (New Year’s Day): Target stores are open
With the schedule listed above, you can check to make sure that Target is open before you head to a store. That way, you won’t have to worry about wasting fuel on an unnecessary trip and that you can buy everything you need from your ideal retailer by planning in advance.
Do you plan on shopping on Columbus Day? Share your thoughts in the comments below.
- Is Costco Open Columbus Day 2020?
- Here’s How the Riots Have Affected Target (and Why Target Gets It)
- Is Target REDcard Worth It?