Amazon Prime appears to be making more consumers base their decisions on whether they can receive faster free deliveries when shopping online.
A whopping 96% of consumers say that the availability of fast, free shipping greatly impacts their decisions about online shopping, according to a survey of 1,015 people conducted by Alix Partners.
This expectation has steadily increased since 2012 — more people want free shipping and they expect it to arrive sooner. They actually want it to arrive a day sooner than they did just a half decade ago.
The maximum amount of time people will wait for a free delivery to arrive is 4.5 days, compared to 5.5 in 2012.
Faster Free Deliveries When Shopping Online
And Amazon Prime members expect it to arrive within 3.8 days, on average — but these people are paying $70 a year for free two-day shipping.
These folks account for more than half of the survey’s respondents, double the proportion of members just five years ago.
Interestingly, three in five survey respondents say they’re not open to the idea of someone entering their home to fill the refrigerator — something that Amazon is reportedly exploring.
However, about half of the survey participants said they’d be interested in the deliveries including other types of add-ons as assembly and installation.
Browsing for Shipping Options
Nearly three in five survey respondents said they browse for products based on shipping options. Interestingly, one in four survey respondents said they’d be willing to pay a bit more for a product if free shipping were included.
About two out of five respondents also said they start shopping on Amazon before other sites. Half say they trust Amazon’s information more than other online retailers.
Long story short, these survey findings suggest that the availability of fast and free deliveries can make or break an online retailer.
What do you think, readers? To what extent do you base your purchasing decisions on whether you can receive faster free shipping when shopping online — and where do you prefer to shop on the internet?
Learn More About Smarter Shopping
Learn more about online shopping and free shipping by checking out our extensive archive on these topics:
- Is Free Shipping Day Worth It?
- How to Never Pay for Shipping
- Get Free Shipping Every Time You Shop Online
- When is Free Shipping Day?
- 10 Reasons You Should Skip Shopping Thanksgiving Day Sales
- 3 Ways To Get Promo Codes For Shopping Online
- Attention, Shoppers: 2018 Sales Tax Holidays
- How to Get Paid to Shop
- Internet Hacks to Save You Money While Shopping Online
- The Single Best Way to Save Money Shopping Online
- Smart Shopping: How to Save Money on Groceries
- How To Shop at Costco Without a Membership
- Frugal Shopping: Top Tips to Save Money on Furniture
- How to Save Money While Shopping Online
Header Image Source: Sascha Kohlmann