What Organization Does Buying Girl Scout Cookies Help?
Sales of Girl Scout cookies reached a total of $800 million nationwide last year. It is expected that just as many will be sold this year. And, as the time passes, more variety is being offered. You can now find Girl Scout Cookie options to better fit your dietary needs. You will also be able to get last year’s favorite, The Smore cookie, as well.
Here are some common questions that your salesperson may not be able to answer:
- Why do the Girl Scouts sell cookies?
- Where does the money go?
- And why should you never buy the cookies online?
Why Do They Sell Cookies?
According to the Girl Scout’s official website:
“The activity of selling cookies is directly related to our purpose of helping all girls realize their full potential and become strong, confident, and resourceful citizens.”
- Girl Scouts practice life skills like goal setting, money management, and teamwork–and they have fun!
- Customers get a great product and get to support girls in their own community.
- All of the proceeds support Girl Scouting in the local community.
What Cause Does the Revenue From Girl Scout Cookies Help?
The revenue collected from selling cookies helps the local Girl Scout councils to:
- Recruit and train volunteer leaders for each troop/group.
- Provide the financial assistance needed to make Girl Scouting available for all girls.
- Improve and maintain camp and other activity sites.
- Keep event/camp fees for all members to a minimum.
- Sponsor special events and projects.
Can You Buy Girl Scout Cookies Online?
Yes. You can now buy Girl Scout cookies online. For a long time, the organization refrained from selling the goodies online in order to protect “the safety and security of the young sales representatives.” This meant that anything being sold online would have been sold through a third-party vendor. However, the Girl Scouts continues to change with new technology.
Many local troops and individual families are now setting up small sites, and even Facebook pages, to sell Girl Scout cookies online this year. You can also buy Girl Scout cookies almost anywhere at this time of year. On the weekends, many of the troops will be set up outside grocery stores and other establishments to tempt you into buying their tasty treats. Most Girl Scout troops have the ability to now take credit and debit cards as well, thanks to modern technology. You can also pay in cash.
If you have more questions about where you can buy Girl Scout cookies, or want more information about the Girl Scouts of America, you can visit the official website at girlscouts.org for more details about this 101-year tradition.
Like Saving Advice? Subscribe!
Subscribe to get the latest Saving Advice content via email.