2018 Post Office Holidays
The post office closes on all of the major federal holidays throughout the year. Here are the holidays honored by the post office in 2018:
- January 1 (Monday) The post office is closed New Year’s Day 2018
- January 15 (Monday) The post office is closed Martin Luther King, Jr. Day
- February 19 (Monday) The post office is closed Presidents’ Day
- April 17 (Tuesday) Some post offices are open extended hours on Tax Day
- May 28 (Monday) The post office is closed Memorial Day
- July 4 (Wednesday) The post office is closed on Independence Day
- September 3 (Monday) The post office is closed Labor Day
- October 8 (Monday) The post office is closed Columbus Day
- November 12 (Monday) The post office is closed the day after Veteran’s Day in observance of the holiday
- November 22 (Thursday) The post office is closed Thanksgiving Day
- December 10 (Sunday) Some post offices are open the second Sunday before Christmas
- December 17 (Sunday) Some post offices are open the Sunday before Christmas
- December 24 (Monday) The post office is open Christmas Eve but many locations may close early
- December 25 (Monday) The post office is closed Christmas Day
- December 31 (Monday) The post office is open New Year’s Eve but many locations may close early
Post Office Holidays to Remember
Most of the holidays above are ones you’d expect the post office to be closed. The one somewhat tricky date in 2018 is Veterans Day. November 11 lands on a SundayÂ this year, so Veteran’sÂ Day is being observed as a federal holiday on Monday, November 12. Since the post office is usually closedÂ on Sunday, they aren’t following the federal holiday schedule for this date. Mail will be delivered and post offices will be open on November 10 and closed on November 11 and November 12. Most larger post offices are open on Saturday, and mail is usually delivered on this day, but it won’t be delivered on November 12.
While tax day isn’t a holiday, many larger post offices will be open extended hours on Tuesday, April 17, to accommodate all the people trying to get their tax return letters in under the deadline. By extending the hours, it will ensure people get the needed April 17 postmark on their taxes up until midnight, when the post office usually closes much earlier. You will need to call your local post office to see if they will be open extended hours for tax day, and if so, until what time they will accept letters for postmarking.
The USPS is usually closed on Sundays, but there are exceptions. At the end of the year when people are mailing holiday gifts, some larger post offices remain open the two Sundays before Christmas to help deal with the added demand of sending packages. Since this doesn’t apply to all post offices, you need to call your local post office to see if any in your area will be open on these days.
Photo:Â tales of a wandering youkai
Get Your FREE Book Now
Enter your name and email address to get your FREE copy of "Guide to Shopping at Costco."