If you are in need of certain items, Memorial Day can be the perfect time to take advantage of some great deals. Most retail stores will be open for the holiday hoping to get your business. But what are those Memorial Day deals and freebies? While you should avoid splurging on useless items, the following are a few things that you might consider purchasing over the Memorial Day weekend if they happen to be on your list.
Memorial Day Deals and Freebies
Probably the best deals that can be found over the Memorial Day weekend sales are for spring clothing. The spring clothes have been in the stores for a few months, and the summer clothing lines are beginning to come in. That means that the stores need to move out all their spring inventory to make way for the summer clothes. Many of the spring clothes will be discounted 50% or more. Add in Memorial Day sales, where it’s possible to find Groupon coupons taking off an additional 10% to 40% of the already discounted prices, and this weekend is a great time to get all your spring clothing for next year. Expect some especially hot deals from the following:
- Old Navy: Take advantage of Old Navy’s Summer Kick-off Sale, where you can find 50% off tees, 40% off tanks and swimwear, and 30% off all shorts.
- Banana Republic: Get up to 40% off your order with the code BRMORE when checking out online.
- Vera Bradley: Vera Bradley is offering 25% off travel items including backpacks and 30% off select patterns and styles, both online and in stores.
- Eddie Bauer: Receive 40% off your entire purchase when you enter the code FIR at eddiebauer.com.
- Accompany: Enjoy free shipping on all orders $150 or more from their wide selection of women’s, men’s and children’s apparel.
May is a great month to buy items for the home in general, and if you add in the discount coupons which are usually available for Memorial Day deals and freebies, you can get some fantastic discounts. Many items in the housewares category will already be marked down as much as 30% or more at places such as Target and Sears. If you can find a weekend sale coupon, you can add that on top of the discounted price to save even more. Here are some other deals you won’t want to miss:
- Overstock.com: According to their website, Overstock is hosting their biggest Memorial Day sale yet. Take an extra 10%, 15%, and 20% off various items including but not limited to furniture, area rugs, home decor and more.
- Pottery Barn: Save up to 40% on sectionals and sofas.
- Home Depot: Home Depot is holding a store-wide sale for Memorial Day Weekend. Save up to 40% on appliances as well as 30% off patio furniture.
- Lowe’s: Lowe’s Memorial Day sale also includes up to 40% off select appliances, such as refrigerators, washers and dryers, and more.
This isn’t the best time to buy barbecue grills because they will be discounted even more at the end of summer when the stores will want to get rid of their inventory. That being said, if you’re planning to do a lot of grilling this year, and you need to replace your old grill because it’s not going to last this summer, the Memorial Day sales will be your best opportunity to get one at a good price. Stores will discount some to drive traffic to the stores, so with a bit of work and price comparison, you should be able to find a decent deal. Here are just a few places you might be able to find some grill gear discounts:
- Home Depot: Take up to 15% off grills and smokers.
- Lowe’s: Save up to $50 on select grills and smokers for Memorial Day.
- Sears: Sears is offering up to 30% off grills and outdoor cooking gear, plus an extra 10% off online with the code 10SEARS.
- Camping World: Enjoy up to 40% off grills and accessories from Camping World as part of their 13th Annual Grill Fest.
Camping and Outdoor Gear
Much like with barbecue grills, the best time to buy camping and outdoor gear will be at the end of the summer season when stores will be liquidating all their overstock. If, however, there is camping or outdoor gear that you absolutely need to get to use this coming summer, you’re likely to find the best deals during the Memorial Day sales. The discounts on these items will be limited, but if you do your homework, shop the sales, and look for coupons to stack on top of those, then you should be able to find a decent deal on these items. Still, be sure that you can’t get by without buying it until the end of summer, as this will be the time to get the best deal. Check these out:
- DICK’s Sporting Goods: DICK’s is hosting a variety of sales for Memorial Day, such as 50% off select apparel, 40% off select footwear, up to $130 off certain kayaks and SUP boards, and more.
- Camping World: You’ll also be able to purchase discounted camping items from Camping World. For instance, the Colman Citronella Lantern is currently 62% off, an open fire grill is 38% off, and you can buy discounted insect screens for your tent also at a discounted rate.
- Home Depot: If you need a new lawn mower, Home Depot has sales on both push and rider mowers, ranging from $50-$100 off. Some even include free shipping.
The best time to buy a car is when the new season models are coming out, or at the end of the year. If you need to purchase a new car before the end of the year, the Memorial Day sales (which can last until the end of the month, and even into June) can be a good time to do it. The weather has usually improved across the US and car dealerships are eager to get people into their showrooms. To entice people to their showrooms, many car dealerships will be offering good discounts for the holiday. According to CarsDirect.com, some deals to keep an eye out for include but are not limited to:
- Chevrolet: Get 20% off the sticker price from select Malibus and 10% off all Corvettes.
- Volkswagon: Volkswagon is offering a $1,500 holiday bonus on any Jetta model plus 0.9% annual percentage rate (APR) for 72 months.
- Kia: Pay nothing for five months plus 0% APR for 66 months on the 2017 Forte, Optima, Soul, and Sorento.
- Volvo: Lease a 2017 S60 T5 Inscription from just $385 for 36 months with nothing due at signing with your first payment waived.
The key to remember here is that you don’t want to be upsold extras that you don’t need as well as review all terms included with your deal. There will be good discounts on the base models to drive you into the showroom, but the salespeople will try to get you to buy upgrades to make their money.
Because this is a holiday honoring those who died while serving in the military, there are several Memorial Day deals and freebies exclusively for men and women both active and retired in the military over Memorial Day Weekend. If you are in Washington, D.C. over the three-day weekend, you’ll find several free events in and around the area for the cause. Not to mention, the following are other activities or items members of the military can enjoy at no charge:
- National Parks: The National Parks actually provide free annual land passes year-round for current U.S. military members and dependents. Make sure you have your Common Access Card (CAC) or your military ID. Visit their website for more details.
- Hooters: If you’re a veteran or active member of the military, get a free entree from Hooters on Monday, May 29 simply by presenting a valid military ID at participating locations throughout the nation. See the full news release here.
- McCormick and Schmick’s Seafood and Steaks: McCormick and Schmick’s will honor those who served in the U.S. military with complimentary lunch or dinner meals on Monday to veterans, individuals currently serving in the military and National Guard, and Gold Star honorees (parents and spouse).
If you know of any Memorial Day deals and freebies, feel free to mention them in the comments below or in our forums. Thank you to all those who have served or are serving in the military!
Like Saving Advice? Subscribe!
Subscribe to get the latest Saving Advice content via email.