Independence Day is less than a week away. Since it is a federal holiday, the majority of banks and credit unions will be closed as well as other establishments such as the post office, stock market and some other businesses. Where banks and credit unions are concerned, there are a few exceptions when it comes to being open or closed on July 4th.
Although there are a few banks and credit unions open, these tend to be smaller regional banks or bank branches which happen to be located in grocery stores, which will be open for the holiday. These institutions will also usually be running on shorter holiday hours for the day, not their regular Monday hours. Because they can vary from location to location, if you plan to visit any of the institutions below, call to confirm they will be open and their hours.
Banks Open on 4th of July
- Central Pacific Bank: CPB is a bank located in Hawaii. They will have select branches open on Fourth of July during limited holiday hours from 10:00 AM to 4:00 PM.
- First Convenience Bank: FCB is a bank located in Texas which will have its bank branches on the Independence Day from 9:00 AM to 5:00 PM.
- Metro Bank: Is a local bank in Harrisburg, PA. Metro will have its drive-thru and its downtown branch open for business for limited hours (from 7:30 AM to 1:00 PM) on Monday, July 4.
- PNC Bank: Stand alone branches will be closed, but some PNC branches located in grocery stores will be open for limited hours. These vary depending on the supermarket location, so it’s important to contact that branch directly to confirm the hours.
- US Bank: US Bank says that some of their grocery store branches will be open for business on Fourth of July for limited hours. These will vary, so it’s important to contact your local supermarket branch to confirm if that one will be open and during what hours.
Credit Unions Open on 4th of July
- Fort Financial Credit Union: This credit union in Indiana has a number of grocery store branches in Meijer supermarkets. These will be open from 11:00 AM to 5:00 PM on July 4, but not the stand-alone branches.
- Landmark Credit Union: The grocery store branches of this credit union (not stand-alone branches) will be open from 9:00 AM to 1:00 PM on the Fourth of July.
It’s important to remember that just because your bank will be closed for the July 4th holiday, it doesn’t mean that you won’t be able to do any banking at all. Most bank ATMs will allow you to perform basic banking transactions and are open 24 hours a day, seven days a week, 365 days a year. If you have to do a simple withdraw or deposit, you should be able to use your bank’s ATM.
Nowadays, you can also do most of your banking online or through the bank’s mobile app. You can make transfers, pay bills and manage your money online. If you think you need to go into the bank and are unsure of your bank’s holiday hours, the bank’s website will also be able to give you information regarding their Fourth of July hours.
The following banks will be closed on the Fourth of July:
- JP Morgan Chase
- Bank of America
- Wells Fargo
- Bank of New York Mellon
- State Street
- Capital One
- Royal Bank of Scotland
- Regions Financial
- Fifth Third Bank
- Northern Trust
- Bank of Montreal
- Bank of the West
- Union Bank
- Allied Irish
- Zions Bank
If your bank is not listed, it doesn’t mean that they are not open on Fourth of July. If you are wondering about a specific bank and location, give the institution a call and verify their holiday hours.
Photo: Flickr: Lin Cheong