For those of you making the last minute decision to throw a get-together on a budget, here are seven ways you can save while still enjoying the game:
- Host a potluck. Probably the easiest way to save money while hosting your party is to turn your event into a potluck. Ask friends to bring over a quick dish or plan on cooking together while everyone throws in an ingredient. You can even ask them to bring over their favorite beverage to share with everyone. This reduces the amount of food and drinks you have to provide while also allowing for all mouths to be fed. Guests do not have to go all out; a simple bag of chips and dip could do.
- Buy cheap plastic plates. Instead of always buying paper plates that are used once and thrown away. consider purchasing some cheap plates from a dollar store that can be reused for every party. You won’t have to worry about using your good dishes, and over the course of the year, you can save some dollars by doing this. Plus, you’ll go through less garbage bags since you will have less garbage to worry about.
- Use what’s in your refrigerator. Instead of going out and buying a whole new list of groceries for dips and the like, take a look inside your fridge and see what you can make with what you have. There are many recipes you can make at a low cost. Don’t be afraid to be a little creative. With a little research, you can easily substitute certain ingredients with items in your cupboard or completely omit them all together without affecting the taste.
- Don’t bother with the pre-made vegetable trays. It will actually cost you less money to put together your own vegetable tray than purchasing one of the assorted trays.
- Get a Costco membership. What better time to get a Costco membership than when you need to purchase items in bulk? A Costco membership can save you more money across the board as long as you continue to use it. Read more about ways to save at Costco here.
- Head to Pinterest. You can make your own decorations for your Super Bowl 50 party with some simple construction paper and glue from the comfort of your own home. The DIY-friendly site can provide you with a variety of options that are not only cheap but quick and easy as well.
- Use your crock pot. Chili, pulled pork and a variety of dips are just a few options of meals you can make in bulk at a low cost for your guests.
With these money-saving tips for your Super Bowl event, we are sure you can easily host a large group of friends over without worrying about your bank account. Act fast, though. The game is starting soon!
Photo: Flickr: USDA