There has always been a rush to get packages shipped on time around Christmas. Now, with the Christmas holiday only about a week away, many people are wondering when the last day to buy your items and have them shipped in time for Christmas. So, if you are planning on doing the holiday’s shopping online, here are a few important dates to keep in mind.
Free Shipping Day
Friday, Dec. 18 is “Free Shipping Day.” Right next to Black Friday and Cyber Monday, “Free Shipping Day” is a popular shopping day for the Christmas season. This is a “holiday” in itself. It is a day where retailers don’t require minimums for free shipping, meaning you can buy something for $1 and still get it shipped free. The best part is, most places guarantee a Christmas Eve delivery as well, which means your package will arrive just on time for the holiday.
Wednesday, Dec. 23 is the deadline for free shipping for Amazon orders for non-Prime members. Prime members can receive free two-hour delivery on Christmas Eve. Deliveries will be made as late as 9:30 p.m. on Dec. 24. Amazon has given an entirely new meaning to the term “last-minute shopping.”
United States Postal Service
The date for sending items through standard post has already passed, however, there are a few other options for shipping items through USPS. Here are the deadlines to make sure your packages arrive on time:
- Saturday, Dec. 19 is the deadline for shipping first class mail. “First Class Mail” is considered to be small envelopes like Christmas cards and packages weighing up to 13 ounces.
- Monday, Dec. 21 is the last day to send flat rate boxes. According to USPS, the packages (depending on where they are headed) can arrive between one and three business days.
- Wednesday, Dec. 23 is the last day for guaranteed overnight shipping through USPS.
- If you want your package to arrive by Christmas, Wednesday, Dec. 16 is the last recommended day to ship your packages for standard delivery.
- Tuesday, Dec. 22 is the last day for two-day shipping with FedEx if you want the package to arrive by Dec. 25.
- If you’re a last-minute kind of person, Wednesday, Dec. 23 is the last day to send your packages overnight through FedEx for Christmas Eve delivery.
- Friday, Dec. 18 is the last day to ship your packages through UPS three-day pickup and delivery service if you want the box to arrive by Christmas.
- Monday, Dec. 21 is the last day for two-day pickup and delivery service through UPS if you want the package to arrive by Dec. 25.
- And, if you are a procrastinator, you can ship your package through UPS on Dec. 23 for overnight delivery.
If you don’t think you’ll be able to make it to these places in time to send off your packages, there are a few things you can do to be sure your recipient still gets something to let them know you’re thinking of them during Christmastime. Most retailers now offer gift cards that people can receive via email. You can also hire someone through Postmates to be sure your package gets to your recipient on time.
Christmastime is the busiest time of year for postal workers, UPS and FedEx workers. Be sure to get your packages in by the dates above to ensure delivery before Christmas.
Like Saving Advice? Subscribe!
Subscribe to get the latest Saving Advice content via email.