This article has been updated for 2017.
While the Fourth of July is the day the nation celebrates its independence, it has also turned into a holiday where retailers use it as a means to try and sell their wares through Independence Day sales. It might be assumed that a federal holiday would mean most businesses close, but this is no longer the case in the US. Holidays almost always mean sales events for that particular holiday to drive you to the store. That’s the case with the Fourth of July when the vast majority of stores remain open, although there is a major exception. Below is a list of the stores which will be open and closed on July 4, 2017.
Costco is closed the Fourth of July. Costco is one of the only large retailer businesses that actually does not open its doors on Independence Day. This can cause issues because it’s a favorite place for people to stock up on supplies for family events and outdoor cooking. Costco closes their doors seven days during the year, and this celebratory holiday is one of them.
Walmart is open on Independence Day. If you need to do shopping on a holiday, it’s a good bet Walmart will be open. There is only a single day each year Walmart closes, and that day isn’t Independence Day (it’s Christmas). Walmart will be open for any last-minute Fourth of July shopping needs you may have. It’s important to note that all Walmart’s aren’t open 24 hours (although many are), so make sure to check so you don’t waste a trip.
Target is open on July Fourth. Target is another retailer that is open most days of the year. Target stores are open on the 4th of July and their stores have sales to promote the holiday. You can stop by a local Target to get any Independence day goodies you need. With the growth of Amazon.com, brick and mortar retailers like Target are feeling the pinch, so they’ll probably cut you a deal – this year they are offering free shipping.
Stores Closed on the Fourth of July
- Costco is closed on July 4th
Stores Open on Independence Day
For those of you who plan to shop the 4th of July sales, please be aware some stores may be operating on holiday hour schedules. It’s always best to call ahead to confirm exactly when the store will be open and when it closes.
- JC Penny is open on Independence Day
- Macy’s is open on the Fourth of July
- Neiman Marcus is open on the 4th of July
- Nordstrom is open on July Fourth
- Saks Fifth Avenue is open on July 4, 2015
- Dillard’s is open on Independence Day
- Belks is open on the Fourth of July
- Kohl’s is open on the 4th of July
- Marshalls is open on July Fourth
- Kmart is open on July 4, 2015
- Sears is open on the 4th of July
- Sam’s Club is open on Independence Day
- BJs Wholesale Club is open on the Fourth of July
- Home Depot is open on July Fourth
- Lowe’s is open on July 4, 2015
- Walgreens is open on Independence Day
- CVS Caremark is open on the Fourth of July
- Rite Aid is open on the 4th of July
- Best Buy is open on July Fourth
- Safeway is open on July 4, 2015
- HEB is open on Independence Day
- Whole Foods is open on the Fourth of July
- Trader Joes is open on July Fourth
- Kroger is open on July 4, 2015
- Publix is open on the 4th of July
- Aldi is open on Independence Day
- Convenience stores like 7-11 are open on Independence Day
The above isn’t a complete list of stores. If you know of other retailers which close for the Fourth of July, feel free to leave a comment so it can be added to to the list.