PetSmart and Petco are the obvious choices for pet owners who want to shop with their pets. These stores have always welcomed pets on leashes that are well-mannered. Home Depot and Lowe’s were once known for their pet-friendly environments, however, they have both recently changed their policies and now ban pets of all kinds. Don’t be discouraged, though, because there are plenty of other stores where Fido will be welcomed with open arms.
Barnes & Noble is one establishment where pets are often welcome, but not always. The company leaves it up to the individual store managers to make the call on the degree of pet-friendliness. It is best to call the store which you plan to visit and check with that manager to see his policy.
Pottery Barn and Crate and Barrel are both fairly accommodating with pets. Each store has an individual policy, though, so a quick check ahead of your visit is recommended. While you may value your pet’s input on home goods, the amount of breakable merchandise in these types of stores may have dog owners thinking twice about bringing their pets along.
Macy’s is well-known for being an animal loving establishment. Macy’s loves pets and pets love Macy’s.
Although individual locations may vary, most Bass Pro Shops are notoriously pet-friendly. Again, it is left up to each store manager, so be sure to check first. Neiman Marcus has a policy of allowing leashed and well-behaved pets in standalone stores. If the Neiman Marcus that you plan to visit is part of a mall, however, it is advisable to call ahead and see if the mall has rules against bringing pets along.
Nordstrom allows pets on a case-by-case basis, but they always allow service animals.
Some local Saturn car dealerships are pet-friendly, but be sure to call ahead to check it out. It might be fun to let your dog help you with your choice of a new car.
As you can see, more and more retail establishments are realizing that pet owners enjoy bringing their furry friends along on shopping sprees. It is a great way to break up the monotony of always walking your dog on the same trails and sidewalks. It is also a wonderful tool for pet socialization and introducing your dog to new people and environments. You may also enjoy getting your dog’s expert opinion on a new pair of shoes he can chew, or even a new couch for his daily naps. Shopping with your pet just might become your new favorite pastime.
Stores That Are Dog-Friendly
It’s important to note that the final decision on whether or not dogs are allowed at certain stores is ultimately left up to the individual store manager, so even if a chain is dog-friendly, your local store may not be. It’s always best to call ahead and ask before going with your dog.
- Anthropologie is dog friendly.
- Bass Pro Shops are dog friendly.
- Bebe is dog friendly.
- Bloomingdale’s is dog friendly.
- Crate and Barrel is dog friendly.
- Foot Locker is dog friendly.
- Free People is dog friendly.
- Gap is dog friendly.
- Home Depot¬†is dog friendly.
- Home Goods is dog friendly.
- JoAnn Fabrics is dog friendly.
- Kohl’s is dog friendly.
- Lowe’s¬†is dog friendly.
- Lush Cosmetics is dog friendly.
- Macy’s is dog friendly.
- Marshalls is dog friendly.
- Michael’s is dog friendly.
- Neiman Marcus is dog friendly.
- Nordstrom is dog friendly.
- Old Navy is dog friendly.
- PetCo is dog friendly.
- PetSmart is dog friendly.
- Pottery Barn is dog friendly.
- Restoration Hardware is dog friendly.
- Saks Fifth Avenue is dog friendly.
- Saturn car dealerships are dog friendly.
- TJ Maxx is dog friendly.
- Tractor Supply Co. is dog friendly.
- Urban Outfitters is dog friendly.
Stores That Are Not Dog-Friendly
It’s important to note that stores which are not pet and dog-friendly will still allow service dogs to enter their retail space. They won’t, however, allow pet dogs on their premises.
- Belks is not dog friendly.
- Best Buy is not dog friendly.
- BJ’s Wholesale Club is not dog friendly.
- Costco is not dog friendly.
- CVS is not dog friendly.
- Dillard’s is not dog friendly.
- JC Penny is not dog friendly.
- KMart is not dog friendly.
- Party City is not dog friendly.
- Rite Aid is not dog friendly.
- Sams Club is not dog friendly.
- Sears is not dog friendly.
- Target is not dog friendly.
- Walgreens is not dog friendly.
- Walmart is not dog friendly.
We would love to make this list comprehensive so that dog lovers know where they can and can’t take their pets. If you know of a store that is pet-friendly or isn’t which isn’t currently on this list, please leave a comment so we can add it. We’d also love to hear about your experiences with specific stores and your pets.
For more on pets and how they can affect your finances check out these articles.
Get Your FREE Book Now
Enter your name and email address to get your FREE copy of "Guide to Shopping at Costco."