25 Dog Friendly Stores Beyond Service Animals - SavingAdvice.com Blog - Saving Advice Articles
"The value of a dollar is social, as it is created by society." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

25 Dog Friendly Stores Beyond Service Animals

By , June 2nd, 2015 | 114 Comments »

There are a lot of great reasons to own a dog, but one area that could cause problems was if you wanted to take your dog to a store. It wasn’t long ago that dogs weren’t allowed in a retail setting unless they were service animals. The times are changing, and today, many mainstream retail chain stores welcome your dog to come inside and shop with you. This relaxed pet policy has dog owners everywhere rejoicing. The convenience factor is wonderful, not to mention that you can avoid leaving your pet at home unattended for long periods of shopping time. Although some stores still uphold a strict no-pet policy, more and more retail chains have amended their rules to welcome both you and your dog.

PetSmart and Petco are the obvious choices for pet owners who want to shop with their pets. These stores have always welcomed pets on leashes that are well-mannered. Home Depot and Lowe’s were once known for their pet-friendly environments, however, they have both recently changed their policies and now ban pets of all kinds. Don’t be discouraged, though, because there are plenty of other stores where Fido will be welcomed with open arms.

Barnes & Noble is one establishment where pets are often welcome, but not always. The company leaves it up to the individual store managers to make the call on the degree of pet-friendliness. It is best to call the store which you plan to visit and check with that manager to see his policy.

Pottery Barn and Crate and Barrel are both fairly accommodating with pets. Each store has an individual policy, though, so a quick check ahead of your visit is recommended. While you may value your pet’s input on home goods, the amount of breakable merchandise in these types of stores may have dog owners thinking twice about bringing their pets along.

Macy’s is well-known for being an animal loving establishment. Macy’s loves pets and pets love Macy’s.

Although individual locations may vary, most Bass Pro Shops are notoriously pet-friendly. Again, it is left up to each store manager, so be sure to check first. Neiman Marcus has a policy of allowing leashed and well-behaved pets in standalone stores. If the Neiman Marcus that you plan to visit is part of a mall, however, it is advisable to call ahead and see if the mall has rules against bringing pets along.

Nordstrom allows pets on a case-by-case basis, but they always allow service animals.

Some local Saturn car dealerships are pet-friendly, but be sure to call ahead to check it out. It might be fun to let your dog help you with your choice of a new car.

As you can see, more and more retail establishments are realizing that pet owners enjoy bringing their furry friends along on shopping sprees. It is a great way to break up the monotony of always walking your dog on the same trails and sidewalks. It is also a wonderful tool for pet socialization and introducing your dog to new people and environments. You may also enjoy getting your dog’s expert opinion on a new pair of shoes he can chew, or even a new couch for his daily naps. Shopping with your pet just might become your new favorite pastime.

Stores That Are Dog-Friendly

It’s important to note that the final decision on whether or not dogs are allowed at certain stores is ultimately left up to the individual store manager, so even if a chain is dog-friendly, your local store may not be. It’s always best to call ahead and ask before going with your dog.

• Anthropologie is dog friendly.
  • Bass Pro Shops are dog friendly.
  • Bebe is dog friendly.
  • Bloomingdale’s is dog friendly.
  • Crate and Barrel is dog friendly.
  • Foot Locker is dog friendly.
  • Free People is dog friendly.
  • Gap is dog friendly.
  • Home Depot is dog friendly.
  • Home Goods is dog friendly.
  • JoAnn Fabrics is dog friendly.
  • Kohl’s is dog friendly.
  • Lowe’s is dog friendly.
  • Lush Cosmetics is dog friendly.
  • Macy’s is dog friendly.
  • Marshalls is dog friendly.
  • Michael’s is dog friendly.
  • Neiman Marcus is dog friendly.
  • Nordstrom is dog friendly.
  • Old Navy is dog friendly.
  • PetCo is dog friendly.
  • PetSmart is dog friendly.
  • Pottery Barn is dog friendly.
  • Restoration Hardware is dog friendly.
  • Saks Fifth Avenue is dog friendly.
  • Saturn car dealerships are dog friendly.
  • TJ Maxx is dog friendly.
  • Tractor Supply Co. is dog friendly.
  • Urban Outfitters is dog friendly.

Stores That Are Not Dog-Friendly

It’s important to note that stores which are not pet and dog-friendly will still allow service dogs to enter their retail space. They won’t, however, allow pet dogs on their premises.

• Belks is not dog friendly.
  • Best Buy is not dog friendly.
  • BJ’s Wholesale Club is not dog friendly.
  • Costco is not dog friendly.
  • CVS is not dog friendly.
  • Dillard’s is not dog friendly.
  • JC Penny is not dog friendly.
  • KMart is not dog friendly.
  • Party City is not dog friendly.
  • Rite Aid is not dog friendly.
  • Sams Club is not dog friendly.
  • Sears is not dog friendly.
  • Target is not dog friendly.
  • Walgreens is not dog friendly.
  • Walmart is not dog friendly.

We would love to make this list comprehensive so that dog lovers know where they can and can’t take their pets. If you know of a store that is pet-friendly or isn’t which isn’t currently on this list, please leave a comment so we can add it. We’d also love to hear about your experiences with specific stores and your pets.

For more on pets and how they can affect your finances check out these articles.

Five Ways to Make Money if You Love Pets
How Much Does a Cat Cost?
Cheap Pet Insurance Comparisons

(Photo courtesy of Anders Porter)

Get Your FREE Book Now

Screen_shot_2017-10-04_at_10.05.33_am

Enter your name and email address to get your FREE copy of "Guide to Shopping at Costco."

We won't send you spam. Unsubscribe at any time. Powered by ConvertKit
1 Star2 Stars3 Stars4 Stars5 Stars (10 votes, average: 4.40 out of 5)

Comments

• jennifer says:

I really don’t understand people who need to take their dogs to the store with them. I mean, come on, it’s just a pet. it’s not like they can’t leave them at home. It’s not their child, for Christ’s sake.

• Todd says:

Exactly, Jennifer. That’s what we have been trying to figure out as well.
      My wife would love to be able to see like ‘normal’ people do so she WOULDN’T have to rely on her cane, her guide dog, or a sighted human in order to get around. As it is, this list provides a good listing of places she can avoid, so as to reduce the chances of her guide dog being attacked by unruly pets.

• Deidre says:

First, I love to take my dog shopping with me and do it whenever I can.

Second, if someone has an unruly pet, they shouldn’t take them shopping.

Third, it’s the people who are a problem if pet dogs are disturbing your wife’s service dog. These particular pet owners are likely the same ones who think it’s okay to engage in any way with a service dog on duty. My dog is well behaved, but he is a dog and I am aware of that. I would be sure that he did not approach a service dog and if my guy even showed interest, I would reroute us to avoid any potential issues. Any responsible pet owner who is also bright enough to leave service dogs alone would do the same.

Finally, you don’t need to understand. And if you don’t like it, don’t shop in those stores.

• Scott says:

There are many reasons people have dogs. Not just blind.

• Vike says:

For me it’s important because I walk 7-10 miles a day with my dog and it’s often fun or convenient to make a store the target for the half way point. Barnes and Noble is very convenient for me because it’s exactly 5 miles away from my place (and there just happens to be a dog friendly park right along that same route).
      Some other times people bring them in because no one wants to leave their dog in a car and if you are taking them on a trip you really only have two options.. You can bring them in with you and risk annoying someone, or leaving them in the car and risk their lives… Not a hard decision.

• sam says:

I live in the city, we walk everywhere. I bring the dog with me so it can get outside. I’d like to have the ability to pop in to a store and pick up a miscellaneous item every now and then without having to tie up the dog outside and risk it getting loose and run off.

I’d says most dogs are better behaved than children in stores and parents let those things run around off leash all the time.

• Jen says:

You don’t need to tell us you don’t get it, the fact that you call them “just pets” implies that. For some people, including myself, they’re a heck of a lot more than that. I am physically unable to have children and am not in a situation in which I’d be approved for adoption. I’m not ridiculous and dress my dogs and call them my kids, but they are my family. I cook for them,I sleep with them, and I love taking them with me everywhere I can. I also differ from SEVERE anxiety that manifests in social situations, sometimes bordering on agoraphobic. My dogs put me more at ease and help me talk to people on public as they’relate wonderful icebreakers. Unfortunately, while you can actually get a prescription for an emotional support animal, they are not affored all of the same allowances as service animals so it’s good to know where they’re welcome and where they’re not.

TLDR: It’s fine if you “don’t get it”, not everyone is a dog person, but don’t condescend to those who do.

• Jen says:

Sorry for the myriad typos. Was on my phone in a car (as a passenger, not driving) when I typed that.

• Chalice Markus says:

Thank you for posting this. I have a dog that I take everywhere I can. Love these lists that tell me the places I can go with my gentle well-behaved lab. NOT a small dog but most places accept him. I always call ahead first. And that’s where my business goes! We shop Old Navy, Macy’s, Penney’s, Home Depot and Lowe’s, plus the pet stores. A lot of people don’t understand this!

• Carey says:

Actually some of us are allergic to dogs. Not sniffles, but stop breathing allergic. My daughter is anaphylactic to dogs. It is becoming increasingly difficult to go anywhere with this trend of people bringing their dogs everywhere they go. People act as if dogs take precedence over people. If you think it doesn’t happen, you’re sorely mistaken bc I deal with it on a daily basis. It is sickening and depressing.

I realize this post is old. I was searching if Costco is dog friendly bc I just saw a dog walk in the one I San shopping. Again, my daughter is anaphylactic. I suffer from extreme anxiety myself. I guess I don’t have any options bc I need to die to self and everybody else doesn’t give a hoot. How lovely. If my daughter dies from it will anyone care but me?

• Stephanie says:

The world can’t put their lives on hold because your daughter has an illness. It is YOUR job to care for her, and not anyone else. If you see someone with a dog, go the opposite direction. Not that hard.

• Ariane says:

There are people who are allergic to wheat. Should we ban bread ?

• Campbell says:

What happens when you come in contact with a service dog since they are legally allowed in the store and cannot be asked to leave?

• Jen says:

Simple just leave your daughter at home. The world doesnt stop because she has an allergy. Service dogs have a very important job. And some people, like myself, cannot leave their dogs at home due to severe separation anxiety. To be honest, I care about my dog, not your daughter. Thats just the way the world is.

• Christine says:

Carey, what an ugly and passive-aggressive comment. I’m allergic to tobacco, but people are STILL allowed to use it around me. The world doesn’t revolve around you. Avoid dogs like I avoid cigarette and hookah smoke, and deal with it.

• Hooper says:

My dog gets anxiety and I would use a lighting shirt to calm her down but then started dressing her in vests and the occasional dress. Think before you insult other dog owners. And I also can’t have kids so don’t shame someone who calls their dogs their kids. Better not say anything at all if your going to insult or turn your nose up at a other people.

• Mike says:

That’s a horrible comment and take into consideration people who live in walking cities we don’t have the luxury of just leaving them home it helps a lot when I can walk my dog stop by the pharmacy and get everything done in one shot …and I do think of my dog as my child Thanks

• Michelle says:

My pet is my child and I choose not to leave her alone. She cries when we are not home. Your humanity extends only to human children is it? And you couldn’t care about the other children we have? She is well trained and does nothing to anyone. Neither does she shed. I have stopped going to stores that aren’t pet friendly. If the stores can’t accept my non-human child they don’t get my business.

• Stephanie says:

I will take my dog to these pet friendly stores whenever I want. He’s not just my dog, to me, he’s my baby and I don’t care what you or anyone else thinks. You’ve clearly never been a pet parent and if you have/are I feel sorry for your “pet”.

• Jamica Alexander says:

People don’t realize that SOMETIMES there is a reason the pet is with them. I would like to bring mine out as much as possible, because he has a hard time dealing with me not being around. He doesn’t care about the other people in the store, he just wants to be with me, his human.

• Lisa says:

Jamica, so true. I agree. I adopted a small dog. She is so awesome. I love spending time with her. She is very well behaved. I was looking for stores we can go together because during the week I am out all day. One the weekends, I am running errands so if I can take her with me it’s a win win for both. She cries when you leave her so being able to just take her along, is a great option.

• Mia says:

AWESOME POST …. Can you believe that I was told to LEAVE WALMART ….I have a REGISTERED AND CERTIFIED TRAINED SERVICE DOG …….I am FURIOUS …. guess who came home WITHOUT GROCERIES !!!!!

• Scott says:

Unfortunately there are more children that should be prohibited than dogs.

• Steven says:

Even if my dog is more well behaved than some people’s kids? I’ve seen little spawns of Satan himself reign havoc in stores with no parental care.

• Lydia says:

I disagree. We have to take our dog everywhere because he CANNOT be left at home at this time. He has SEVERE separation anxiety and we cannot afford a dog sitter every time we have to go to the grocery store. Most of the time we switch off doing errands but thats a LOT of gas wasted when we could just do one trip. Being southern california its way too hot to eave him in the car (and we couldnt anyway because of the separation anxiety). We are working on the anxiety but it is a long process. So don’t judge people who have to take their dogs everywhere.

• Alysa says:

I really don’t understand why people need to take there bratty ass kids to the store with them. If you have to inconvenience me while I shop I don’t see why I can’t take my dog into a store. I promise he’s much more well behaved then any child.

• Riley says:

Until I got my yellow lab I was not much of a pet person. But now I get it ! Pets are family members. Dogs can change your life. Dogs need exercise and they need to get out of the house and out of their yard , daily! So it’s not that they can’t be left alone. They get crazy if they don’t get out, because they are smart animals that need to use their brains and they need exercise . Dogs that are not well trained and uncontrollable should not go to stores, children are often frightened by dogs and you have be considerate of everybody. Because I am a responsible pet owner, I am always looking for places to take my dog , she needs the stimulation just like humans.

• Stacy says:

For a lot of people a pet is like a child and a member of the family. Surely someone with your lack of heart and compassion can’t understand that.

• Elizabeth says:

I mean i have a puppy that if i leave at home she will cry and cry her eyes out and i live in an apartment and i could get kicked out because off her like really and people love there dogs alot so they want to take them

• Buck says:

I’ve owned both. Would rather leave the kids at home than my dog.

• Barbara says:

Reason and I am one that has my pet with me lots of the times. Some people are out of town shopping. Some not by choice but happen to work out of town and passing through. Cannot leave them in the car and believe me they are more behaved than those bratty kids parents let run wild and tear the place apart. I happen to live in a pet friendly high end city in Florida. I will take pets over kids anytime. Parents put a lease on your kids running wild screaming!

• N Foreman says:

I take my dog almost every where I go. . He’s not just a pet. He’s my family. . You and people like you shouldn’t have dogs..

• Anthony1979 says:

I know what u mean why do people bring their brats everywhere with them all that yelling crying talking gets on my nerves when I’m shopping why can’t they stay at home get them a nanny or something most dogs are more mannered and behave when out on a trip so stfu about someone’s dog is better than your brats

• Ashley says:

Why does it bother you so much that people want to take their dogs with them. The fact that you took the time to out of your day to comment this is hilarious.

• Revanche says:

Thanks for the list! I didn’t realize that Macy’s was historically dog-friendly.

Obviously, I do think there are legitimate reasons to bring your down into stores with you. Just to think of a few off the top of my head: If you have to take the dog to the vet and have a slew of other errands to run, it’s much more helpful to know when you can get those things done without having to take the dog home first. It can save time and a lot of gas if you’re far from home. Or perhaps you’re on a road trip, when we do frequently, and it’s hot out, no responsible dog owner will leave the dog in the car. I already plan my stops around dog-friendly places, this just makes life a little less restrictive when we’re already in some kind of time or location crunch.

• Donna says:

Kmart is not dog friendly. I had to fight with them to let me service dog in as they said it wasn’t allowed.

• Scottie says:

No problems at either Home Depot or Lowes with puppy in arms. Also no problem at Ralphs or Hagen grocery stores although puppy is small and carried.

• What state/city do you live in? I imagine that makes a difference. I could see it in California, for instance, but not in Nebraska.

• Chelsea says:

I’ve taken my dog dozens of times, carrying walking or in the cart, to Home Depot and Lowes and never had any issues. I’ve never encountered an issue. I’m in Florida if it makes a difference.

• Acacia says:

The blanket corporate policy of Lowe’s and HD allowing dogs in their stores, has changed, however the individual stores can still allow it. The Home Depot in Rancho Cordova, CA and Lowes in Citrus Heights, CA both still allow dogs.

• Deidre says:

I take my dog in Lowes and Home Depot all the time with no problems. One of the Lowes locations we frequent often even has dog treats for their four legged customers. This is in Columbus, Ohio. Also, nurseries are usually dog friendly. I have only come across one that is not.

• Melissa says:

Our local Lowes and Home Depot always allow my dogs. Bed, Bath and Beyond is another dog friendly store. My fiancé and I had my terrier with us when we registered for our wedding. Most of our malls allow dogs in they are in a zipper stroller too! I’m in the Orlando area.

• Carole says:

Walmart in Shelton, WA “is” dog-friendly. I put my Shih Tsu in the cart and the security asked me to take him out and just walk him on the leash.. Which I did. Everyone was friendly as we picked out his doggie toy which he carried in his mouth right up to the cashier while I paid as we checked out. Clerks & customers gave KIMO a wide aisle and applause as we walked out, he still carrying his squeaker toy. He did his own shopping….. Thank you Walmart!!

• Maricilla says:

Lowes is very dog friendly. Customers bring them in all the time and i love it. For people to say “its just a pet, they’re not your child” you must be insensitive and careless of others. What about people that can’t have children so their dog becomes their child? You probably also agree that pit bulls are a bad breed and need to be put down before the attack someone. A lot of people need to relax and mind their business. If you believe no one should judge you by the way your child is behaving in a store then dont judge others for wanting to bring their companion in either.

• Michael says:

Hello Michael,

Thank you for contacting Lowe’s regarding your recent concern.

For safety and sanitary reasons, no animals, other than service animals are permitted in Lowe’s locations. If a customer brings an animal (other than a service animal) into the store, an ASM or the SM must ask the customer to remove the animal.

I certainly hope that you will let me know if I can be of further assistance. You can also call (800) 445-6937 for Customer Care.

Robert S.

Lowe’s Customer Care

• Steve says:

I take my dog to Lowe’s all the time. Today even, one of the asm’s asked to pet my 4month old lab pup and we had a conversation about his own lab. It might be a corporate policy but it sure isn’t a store policy.

• Bryan says:

Was just at Lowes this evening with the dog. The staff and shoppers seemed to enjoy her being there. Especially the kids. Kids love this dog because she’s happy and likes kids. Women love this dog because she’s cute, well behaved, and likes kids. Men love this dog because women love this dog. Oddly enough while we were there we ran into our neighbors who had their dog with them.

• Steffi says:

Hi – you might want to check your dog friendly list a little closer as I know some that you have listed as being dog friendly are not. Example – JoAnn fabrics is not dog friendly, they only allow service dogs (I’ve confirmed this with their corporate office). Michaels is also not dog friendly. As for Gap, Old Navy, Banana Republic – their stores located inside of malls do not allow dogs (unless they have a separate outside entrance) but if their store is in an outdoor shopping center then they leave it up to the manager to allow dogs (and some of their stores will only allow small dogs). I go shopping a lot with my dogs so I’ve found it’s best to call the store directly to verify if they allow dogs.

• Lauren says:

I’ve actually been to Home Depot with my dog. That’s another place where it varies from store to store but most of them by my house are pet friendly as long as the dog stays on leash.

• Vic says:

REI is not dog friendly

• Addie vega says:

“Just pets” huh . i love my dog, and i i love stores that are pet friendly. My dog behaves better than toddles and annoying kids in stores. Full of snot, throwing tantrums, eating candy and staining things.

• pami says:

The Walgreens I frequent in and around Matthews NC are dog friendly. So is Rite-Aid.

• Mary Benton says:

My daughter and many others are allergic to dogs. I won’t be spending my money at this store again..

• Anne K says:

Punishing a store for allowing dogs is kind of silly. Regardless of their policy on pet dogs, service dogs are allowed in. I’m sorry if your daughter is allergic to dogs, but I’m allergic to dying because my service dog couldn’t be there to save me.

• Amy says:

That was poetic. Made me smile. Plus, the dogs shouldn’t be leaving much dander around to inflame allergies as stores are generally kept very clean. I can’t see that being a real issue.

• Skwerl says:

Sorry about your allergies, but Costco also samples nuts, and dogs and nuts are everywhere, but let’s be happy this list exist to remind epipen preparedness

• Raina says:

As of last month Lowe’s officially changed their pets policy to allow dogs in all of their stores nationwide! A half dozen letter from me hopefully helped. Here is a quote from the email reply I received:
    “Thank you for your emails. I do appreciate your business with us at Lowe’s.

In regards to your inquiry, I would be happy to assist you. Lowe’s is now allowing pets that are not service animals in our stores. We are currently updating our site to reflect the new policy.
    Over the years, pets have become an integral part of the family unit and may be included in a family’s daily activities such as shopping. While Lowe’s continues the responsibility of adhering to the American with Disabilities Act (ADA) requirements for allowing a service animal to accompany its owner or handler, being a pet friendly store is one a way to reinforce Lowe’s purpose throughout the customer’s experience in the store.
    Service animals and pets are allowed in all Lowe’s stores. The care and supervision of service animals and pets is solely the responsibility of its owner or handler. The owner or handler must be in full control of the animal at all times, as outlined below:
    The owner or handler must always have direct physical control of the animal by one or both of the following methods.
    The animal must be:
    Heeling or walking calmly beside the owner or handler
    Harnessed, leashed, or carried
    Service animals must follow the same guidelines as stated above, unless these means interfere with the service animal’s work or if the customer’s disability prevents such means. The service animal must be otherwise under the owner or handler’s control (e.g., voice control, signals, or other effective measures).
    The animal’s behavior must not disrupt other customers or its surroundings in the store. Disruptive behavior includes, but is not limited to, aggression towards other animals or people, jumping on people or surroundings, barking, growling, etc.
    Exclusion of a pet or service animal
    Reasons for excluding a pet or service animal include:
    The animal is not under the direct physical control of the owner/handler.
    The animal’s behavior is disruptive to its surroundings, other customers, or employees.
    The animal poses a direct threat to the health and safety of others.
    The owner/handler fails to comply with any of their responsibilities as detailed in this policy under this and/or the ADA governed policy.
    . If you have additional questions or concerns, please let me know and I’d be happy to assist you further. Thank you for choosing Lowe’s and I hope you have a great day.

For additional assistance reply to my email or call Lowe’s Customer Care at 1-800-445-6937. Hours of operation: Monday – Saturday, 7:00 a.m. – 1:00 a.m. Sunday, 8:00 a.m. – 9:00 p.m.

Claudia M.
    Lowe’s Customer Care”

Take that all you dog haters!!! 😉

• Linda says:

The Home Depot store in Compton, Ca is also dog friendly…I took my 7 month old German Shepherd dog there last weekend and we had a nice shopping experience…although I could tell that the other shoppers were not aware of the policy of the store and certainly looked at us rather oddly 🙂

• Anonymous says:

I never understood why people would bring their dogs everywhere. I never had a pet growing up and just did not get why people would bring their dog in stores and everywhere they went. In addition, i had a fear of dogs due to being attacked by one when i was in grade school. I just never understood the love owners had for their dogs/pets! When i got in my twenties i slowly grew out of my fear and would pet my friends dogs and eventually became comfortable being around them. Eventually, i ended up purchasing a dog (Boston Terrier) and he has totally changed my life ! He is my family and i take him everywhere! he is not “just a pet”! He is a friend and full of love! So blessed to have the little guy! And we bring him to walmart near where we live and never had any issues:-)

• Anthony says:

Several of your not dog friendly stores have always been dog friendly. Such as home depot and lowes.

• Barbara says:

After seeing a dog running all over the product belt at checkout and the scanner at a Walmart I could not believe that was tolerated either by the owner or the employee. Although this was not a Super Walmart it does have a large selection of food items as well as fresh produce. It was only after researching to see if this should be legal, I was under the impression if they sold food, other than candy bars & such at the register only service animals were allowed and came across this post. I really think saying some of businesses are Not Pet Friendly, it is better to say that in many of these stores, namely K Mart, Walmart, Target, BJ’s, & Costo are not pet friendly I think it is more of an issue of health department regulations as they all sell food. I personally would not put my items & I one was item was dog treats, on the belt. I do not know the health of the pet in question. I have taken my dogs into home depot & lowes but they stayed in the carriage. Also if they go to the bathroom even in the parking lot I clean up after them.

• Dave says:

Any pet, like any child, should be in the control of its parent, owner or handler. No circumstance, short of a dog park, should a dog be left to run around unleashed, or get into places that would be unsanitary. I walk my dog through Super Walmart, but don’t take her into the food area. She is too big for a cart, but is never out of my control and will stay at my heel unless I tell her otherwise. It is a shame that people let their animals get out of hand and think that everyone loves their pet. I believe this is a mental disorder and these people should be under professional supervision. My dog has never had an accident in any store, but I come prepared to clean up if I need to.

• Dave says:

I live in Port Charlotte, Fl. I have a 1.5 yr. old 50 lb. Border Collie/Lab mix. She has been professionally trained but is still a work in progress. I like to bring her to populated places for training sessions. Places like the local pet stores are great and never a concern with them letting her in. I’ve asked at quite a few local stores. Home Depot, Lowe’s, Walmart SS and Tractor Supply are just a few that allow us in. Lowe’s employees even gave her a tennis ball. Home Depot had dog treats at the service counter. I’ve also had her in Lowe’s and Home Depot in North Port, Fl. Tractor Supply also was very happy to have us and also had dog treats at the register. As long as the dogs are well behaved and in control of the owner, there should be no objection to their presence. Anyone who’s been to Walmart has likely seen a child less in control by their parent than most dogs are by their owner.

• Lauren says:

Walmart is dog friendly

• Jennifer H says:

I work at Kohls and they are pet friendly. Even had people coming in with their pets during the holidays and regular days.

• Ed says:

FYI, my wife and I just came out if Lowes with our dogs. They actually do support service, as well as friendly leashed dogs. They have that also posted at the entrance.

• Gavin says:

Not all rite aids are bad, the rite aid near my house doesn’t care when I bring in my dog, they just enjoy seeing dogs there.

• S.G. says:

This list isn’t accurate. Our local Lowe’s is dog friendly. We called and asked to be sure. “Any size, as long as they don’t bite anyone. And please clean up any messes.” -BONSACK LOWE’S ROANOKE, VA

• Kim Polan says:

Our local Home Depot and lowes is dog friendly in Parkersburg WV

• Rachel says:

I like taking my dogs tomatoes because they are an opportunity for her to build her self confidence, and he exposed to more distractions. They are an opportunity to train and condition my pup. And after leaving her home for eight hours I’d prefer to take her with me, getting exercise, stimulation and broadening her borders.

• VeniceParrish says:

I’m a little confused about where the author got their information. I worked at Joann Fabrics and they most definitely DO NOT allow dogs. I currently work at Home Depot and they most definitely DO allow dogs. It’s the most dog friendly place I’ve seen, in fact, the cashiers will keep tubs of biscuits and treats for the dogs

• mary says:

Home Depot and Lowes DO ALLOW DOGS

• Alexa Mason says:

Mary – Thank you for bringing the note about Lowe’s to our attention! You will note that we added Lowe’s to the “allows dogs” list where Home Depot was already located.

• Mary says:

Lowes and Home Depot here in Florida are both dog friendly

• Jessica t says:

Kohls will allow dogs

• Alexa Mason says:

Jessica,

Thank you for bringing this to our attention! We added Kohl’s to the “stores that allow dogs list.” The list of stores that allow pets are frequently changing and we love that our readers keep us up to date with these changes!

• Jerry says:

This really old stuff, both Lowes and Home Depot are “Dog Friendly”

• Alexa Mason says:

Jerry,

It seems like in some cases dog friendliness may depend on the local manager or local policy, regardless of what the national chain has to say about the issue.

• Denise says:

Hi,
    just wanted to let people know that Home Depot and Lowes in the Independence, MO area are both dog friendly.

• Alexa Mason says:

Hey Denise,

I think that sometimes the stores will let dogs in, even if the store has an official policy about pets.

• Brittany says:

I have an emotional support animal. She’s a dog and stores do not have to allow her but I don’t have a car and walk almost everywhere I go to avoid spending money on the bus when I can. I call the stores before I come and just ask if it is okay and thankfully the Walgreens where I pick up my prescription does allow me to bring her but I call beforehand every time I go just to be sure. My advice to anyone is just to call and ask. It can’t hurt

• Alli says:

I think a lot of this depends on who happens to be working at the time and whether or not they actually choose to enforce their rules. I brought my 4 pound chihuahua puppy wrapped in a blanket to the Costco near my house with no problems on several occasions. I had some errands to run after our vet appointment this morning and stopped at the same Costco. The woman at the door stopped me and asked if my dog was a service dog (to which I replied no) then said she was not allowed to enter. I understand that stores have policies but I hardly think that my little dog bundled in a blanket is of any harm to other while she is being held in my arms.

• Cher says:

You cannot take pets to places where they cook food or handle raw food this is health code not the store itself.

• What makes a dog a health threat and not hundreds or more people filing through,touching, coughing and so on?
        That is illogical

• You are correct.I spoke to the health dep’t when I lived in CA.They did not understand their own health codes and therefore did not abide by them.Our son is a high level chef and has worked in many prestige restaurants.Sanitation is a very high priority.Thus,no dogs where food is prepared or eaten.

• Michelle says:

My local Home Depot here in B’ham, Alabama has allowed my Bullmastiff and Corso in the store, and at the same time. 3 employees even came over to ask if they could pet them. Also taken Corso to At Home. They said as long as he was leashed and mannerable it was fine. Helped out picking him a new bed much easier.

• Moon says:

Khols is not dog friendly. At less the one I traveled to is not. I when to the Khlos 11111 Lakeline Blvd Austin, TX 78717 today. I put my dog into a bad and carry him on my shoulder. My dog is really friendly and does not bark or mad any noise. That the check out O took my dog out the bag and show the cashier there in nothing in the bag then my dog. Some worker came straight over to me and questions about my 7.5lb dog. Rude and told me I cannot bring my dog inside in the future. Let me tell you this. Jcpenny and lows haven’t said anything about my dog. Low even give my dog treats. I lives by myself for a while and had a hard time. This dog cheers me up. I still bring me dog to a none food service place with me sometimes. I feel offensive even my dog is a service dog. His quiet and he is really acting like a toy in my bag. How you feel if someone just come to your face and questioning about your identity? Yes. I’m a foreigner from The end of east. And everything will be the same weather I came to this store or not. I don’t know What’s going on there and I’m just trying not to go to Khlos often now even with out pet.

• Cher says:

I don’t know if all Best Buy’s are but ours (Bend Oregon) is pet friendly. All the employees have treats as well. Our Home Depot and lowes are also pet friendly, they again all have treats. Our AT&T store is also pet friendly. When it comes to allergies it’s a good idea to talk to your doc about daily mess you can take, I know people who are elegiac to dogs and cats. If your allergies are as severe as one person mentioned then even someone with pets at home would agrivate this allergy due to hair and dander on their clothing. This to me is just an excuse for people who don’t like animals. Our city is a outdoor kind of community that is very open and kind to everyone so I guess we are spoiled. Most of our restaurants that have outdoor seating also allow you to have your pet on the ground next to you. They even have water bowls set out for them. A lot of people take their dog in the river through our town so being able to stop and eat without chaining your dog up or leave them in a hot car is important. On the other hand they should have signs that say no unruly pets or children.

• Rachel says:

Hobby Lobby is also dog friendly. We called our store in Conroe, TX three times just to make sure by talking to different people, and they all said yes! We enjoy taking our Harley Jane with us whenever we can. It is so good for her to be out and about, and it’s good for my daughter to have Harley with us to help her with her anxiety. Harley isn’t a service dog yet, but she is my daughter’s emotional support animal. With regards to those who are allergic to dogs, you can avoid the dog in the stores, just as my daughter avoids her allergens to certain foods. You can’t expect everyone to cater to you just as I can’t expect everyone to cater to my daughter. That would be ridiculous.

• April says:

I took my cockapoo into Home Depot today and they welcomed him with open arms, even gave him a treat, and said they loved customers of all kinds. I saw another small dog walking on leash so they must have changed their policy.

• Kayce says:

It’s not the dog that’s the problem, in the specific context of people bringing their service dog or pet dog inside stores. It’s the human that’s the problem. Not the dog. Like children, more likely than not, they’re (human kid) unruly and disruptive because of how they’re parented(unless they’re suffering from illness(es) (duh,)).
    I’m a cashier at CVS, as well as a dog lover, and someone who needs a service dog for my major depression and anxiety–so when customers bring their dogs with them, I don’t judge. I immediately assume they need their dog and their dog is behaved.
    The problem at my store is when the dog starts barking, peeing, pooping, growling at other customers… this has all occurred on different occasions. I don’t remember what the last straw was for all of us to begin suspecting if there will be problems with PET dogs coming in: growling at other customers or the shitting in the store AND THE HUMAN DOING NOTHING ABOUT IT.
    Dogs are awesome, and my team are dog lovers. When customers allow it, we’ll coo and pet the babies. It’s just the damn owners that neglect their dog’s inappropriate actions.
    As a result, the dogs get the blame and bad rep, unfortunately.

• Brook says:

Jamba juice let me have my little dog in a tot bag. I walk her around and I just put her in a cloth tot whenever I want to go into a store that Im not sure about the policy. No one has said anything to me about it. And almost always the people who work in the different stores ask if they can pet her.

• Al says:

Sadly some people treat their pets like objects of no affection, Lowes and HomeDepot need to be removed from the list. I shop a both often and have never had an issue, they even provide treats for my animals.
    Some of the things people infer is unbelievable, if the dog is annoying by all means inform the owner but be prepared to provide reasoning why and expect a response referencing your child running up and down the aisles like an animal. This debate is null, my state bars animals within 100ft of where food is served.

• D says:

So did you realize there are no pharmacies listed on your dog friendly list? Dogs aren’t allowed by law (at least in my state) within 200ft of a pharmacy. Hence that’s one of the reasons why Cvs, Rite Aid, Walgreens, Walmart, Sam’s club, Target etc only allow service dogs & not regular dogs!!! Don’t diss them for that when its a law.

• Did everyone read about a passenger being bitten by a large “emotional support dog”,The man was bitten several times on his face. When we traveled to FL.in Dec. a dog was on a person’s lap-No carrier. I had my seat changed since there was one vacant seat.We will not be flying for future vacations due to this and many problems with the airlines.Flying used to be fun.