The Great Secret to Cheap Dental Care - SavingAdvice.com Blog - Saving Advice Articles
"When you are poor enough, everything has some value." - Barbara Ann Porte

The Great Secret to Cheap Dental Care

By , November 29th, 2007 | 80 Comments »

cheap dental care
Within the US and Canada there are over 60 dental schools which provide inexpensive dental treatment. With locations all over the US from Louisville, New York City, Ft Lauderdale, Los Angeles, Omaha, and Chapel Hill it is very likely there is a school nearby. As a dental student, I’d like to reveal some factors to consider when choosing to get dental work done at a school.

Insurance

Dental schools accept most insurances. It is still a good idea to call the school ahead of time to be sure there are no problems. Going to a school may be a good option if the regular dentist drops insurance coverage.

Expert overseers

When I started dental school, I was surprised to find that celebrities exist in the dental profession, and many of them are my professors. My “cavity professor” frequently speaks at conferences and publishes in journals. A couple of professors at my school were recently recognized for a new innovation in tooth whitening. These are the people who oversee every step of patients’ treatment at the school.

Inexpensive

Cleanings, crowns, root canals or even veneers are cheaper at dental schools. I’d estimate that treatment is about half as expensive as a regular dental office. Students are good resources for learning about the best values offered at the school. Ask them if there are any procedures that are particularly cheap at the school. Perhaps tooth whitening kits are particularly inexpensive. It depends on the school.

Work with students

I may be a little biased, but dental students are cool. Your typical dental student is a 20 something-year-old studying for classes and working to become a good dentist. Don’t underestimate what your student knows how to do. They are trained to do crowns, fill cavities, and even put on veneers. Dentistry is continually changing with new advancements, and schools are very good at updating their curriculums so students know the most up to date techniques.

Possibility for absolutely FREE work

To become licensed as dentists, students must pass the National Board exams. This consists of working on patients that have a specific type of cavity under the supervision of a Board examiner. If you qualify as a National Board patient, your student will love you and fix your teeth for free.

When you decide to get work done at a school, expect it to take a while. Here’s why:

A couple appointments

Because students are so closely monitored, it normally takes 3 appointments until patients begin treatment. Also many schools suffer from faculty shortages. Appointments that take 1 hour at a regular dentist office could take 3 hours because the student is waiting for a professor to check their work. Bring a book or something because you might be alone in the chair while the student is waiting for a professor. Sometimes schools even offer evening clinic sessions which offer greater flexibility for patients.

Slow, perfectionist students

Hey, we are learning here. Students practice on manikins, plastic teeth, and each other before they are let loose on real human beings. When practicing, good clinical results, not speed, are graded. Students are competent at performing the procedures – we are just slow.

No assistants

Normally students are working solo. So you may be asked to help make the process go faster. Maybe write some numbers or hold the suction in your own mouth.

Think it over. If you don’t mind spending some extra time at the school you can get a great bang for your buck.

Image courtesy of completosinmallo

******************************************************

Here is a list of all Dental Schools in the country courtesy of wikipedia (thanks Kelly in comments)

Alabama
University of Alabama School of Dentistry, Birmingham, Alabama

Arizona
Arizona School of Dentistry and Oral Health
Mid-Western University school of dentistry (fall 2007)

California
Loma Linda University School of Dentistry, Loma Linda, California
UCLA School of Dentistry, Los Angeles
University of California at San Francisco School of Dentistry
Arthur A. Dugoni School of Dentistry, University of the Pacific, San Francisco, Calif.
University of Southern California USC School of Dentistry, Los Angeles, California

Colorado
University of Colorado Denver School of Dental Medicine, Aurora, Colorado

Connecticut
University of Connecticut Health Center School of Dental Medicine, Farmington, Connecticut

District of Columbia / Washington, D.C.
Howard University College of Dentistry

Kentucky
University of Kentucky College of Dentistry, Lexington, Kentucky
University of Louisville School of Dentistry, Louisville, Kentucky

Louisiana
Louisiana State University School of Dentistry, New Orleans, Louisiana

Maryland
University of Maryland Dental School of the University of Maryland at Baltimore, founded as the Baltimore College of Dental Surgery

Massachusetts
Boston University Goldman School of Dental Medicine
Harvard School of Dental Medicine, Boston
Tufts University School of Dental Medicine, Boston

Michigan
University of Michigan School of Dentistry
University of Detroit Mercy School of Dentistry, Detroit, Michigan

Minnesota
University of Minnesota School of Dentistry

Missouri
University of Missouri-Kansas City School of Dentistry

Mississippi
University of Mississippi Medical Center School of Dentistry, Jackson, Mississippi

Nebraska
University of Nebraska Medical Center, Omaha, Nebraska
Creighton University School of Dentistry, Omaha, Nebraska

Nevada
UNLV School of Dental Medicine also known as the University of Nevada at Las Vegas School of Dental Medicine

New Jersey
University of Medicine and Dentistry of New Jersey-New Jersey Dental School

New York
Columbia University College of Dental Medicine, New York City
New York University College of Dentistry, New York City
State University of New York at Buffalo School of Dental Medicine
State University of New York at Stony Brook School of Dental Medicine
University of Rochester School of Medicine and Dentistry, Rochester, New York

North Carolina
University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill School of Dentistry

Ohio
Ohio State University College of Dentistry, Columbus, Ohio
Case School of Dental Medicine of the Case Western Reserve University, Cleveland, Ohio

Oklahoma
University of Oklahoma Health Sciences Center College of Dentristy, Oklahoma City

Oregon
Oregon Health & Science University School of Dentistry, Portland, Oregon

Pennsylvania
Temple University School of Dentistry, Philadelphia
University of Pennsylvania School of Dental Medicine
University of Pittsburgh School of Dental Medicine

Puerto Rico
University of Puerto Rico School of Dentistry, San Juan, Puerto Rico

South Carolina
Medical University of South Carolina College of Dental Medicine, Charleston, South Carolina

Tennessee
University of Tennessee College of Dentistry, Memphis, Tennessee
Meharry Medical College School of Dentistry, Nashville, Tennessee

Texas
Baylor College of Dentistry, Texas A&M Health Science Center, Dallas, Texas
The University of Texas Health Science Center at Houston Dental Branch
University of Texas Health Science Center at San Antonio Dental School

Virginia
Virginia Commonwealth University School of Dentistry, Richmond, Virginia

Washington
University of Washington School of Dentistry, Seattle, Washington

West Virginia
West Virginia University School of Dentistry, Morgantown & Charleston, West Virginia

Wisconsin
Marquette University School of Dentistry, Milwaukee, Wisconsin

Get Your FREE Book Now

Screen_shot_2017-10-04_at_10.05.33_am

Enter your name and email address to get your FREE copy of "Guide to Shopping at Costco."

We won't send you spam. Unsubscribe at any time. Powered by ConvertKit
1 Star2 Stars3 Stars4 Stars5 Stars (13 votes, average: 4.77 out of 5)

Comments

• Joan says:

Husband went to a dental school for years, and only saw a professor, no students. Don’t know why no students saw him. I don’t think it took extra appointments or extra time, ever. Maybe the prof had students observing chairside.

• There is a dental school just down the road from me I’m lucky I have a dentist but I wonder if you can go to the school and have treatment done there. I will have to enquire never even considered the possibility before. Will certainly be worth considering if I ever need any expensive treatments carried out.

• ~Dawn says:

Excellent information Marilyn, Thank you. I will keep this as reference

• Great tip. My parents did this once before when I was younger. My dad got selected for one of the exams, and was really pleased.

• Eric says:

This is more of a question than a comment. My son needs to have his wisdom teeth removed. He is 21 and they have pushed his other teeth out of line. They are not impacted anymore but they are causing decay in other teeth and his jaws stay swollen and he is in a lot of pain. I took him to an oral surgeon and he said all wisdom teeth need extracting plus another one that was beyond repair. After our Dental Ins. it was going to cost us $1400.00 more and we had to pay after the procedure. There is no way we can do that. We recently moved here from Memphis and was hoping to get a student surgeon for less money. Please let me know if this is possible. Thank you, Eric’s Mom….

• marilyn says:

Hi Eric’s mom. Dental schools may be cheaper although specialties like oral surgery can be comprabable to other practitioners. Check the link in the article to find a school nearby and ask about their emergency clinics so he can be seen right away.

Anesthesia is one expensive part of the procedure. Ask about what type of anesthesia they are using and alternatives. Many times oral surgeons like to completely knock patients out with general anesthesia, which can be pretty expensive. Specifically ask about using oral sedation or laughing gas as an alternative to general anesethesia.

Call around to other surgeons too. Many surgeons will work with you if they know you can’t pay up front. Go ahead and price shop, but get this resolved fast. Your son’s infection can get even worse.

• Theresa Rivers says:

I am trying to find a student dentist in my area, I need dental work done, and don’t have a lot of money, and know I will get more for my money with you guys, can i have information on who to contact, I live in St. Louis, Mo, North County.

• latoya says:

i am looking for a dentisry school in or around the poughkeepsie are. i need some work done on my teeth. i need vaneers really bad and can not afford them. could u give me some info on who and where to call.

• Greg Mitri says:

I live in Tampa Florida was hoping to get some help finding a school near me. I need alot of work done and really cant afford it. Please help

• Laura says:

I didn’t know that dental schools did that but i am glad i know now!!! i am 25 and have so many bad teeth that a dentist told me just to have them all pulled and everyone knows how expensive that is.

• Debbie Johnson says:

I have so many bad teeth, to the point that the bridgework on the left side of my mouth is very loose, and my jaw is in constant pain.Not to mention all the cavities I have, and mant missing teeth.I cannot afford to spend a lot of money as my husband is out of work, and I carry the insurance which isn’t the greatest dental plan.I live in Fort Myers, Florida and I was wondering about these dental students and how much I could save going to one.

• pfadvice says:

• John hornback says:

I havee no insurance and need 17 teeth pulled adn dentures made. I live on fixed income. can any of this be done at a school for less cost?

• pfadvice says:

I havee no insurance and need 17 teeth pulled adn dentures made. I live on fixed income. can any of this be done at a school for less cost/

You need to contact denatal schools in your area to find out the costs.

• Tammy says:

I need some HELP and ANY HELP would be greatly appreciated!!! When I was younger I experinced with drugs and it has effected my smile!! Now Iam a clean 5.5 years and dealing with customers on a daily basis because Iam a Customer Service Manager!! I know without a doubt a SMILE can go a long way and I do smile but Iam NOT comfortable when I do!!! I would travel whereever I had to for help because dental help is very expensive & I can not afford it due to being a single mom!! Please E-mail me ASAP & let me know if you can help

• vanessa says:

did you ever find out your answe to this? I have the same problems and i know that you posted this 7 years ago but I am hoping that maybe you did and you have some advice on how you found a place. my past had experimental drug use and then now 5 years clean I am a single mom needing dental work. I am a hairstylist so if I don’t look good it sucks for me! my past wrecked my teeth and then my pregnancy destoryed my teeth . for example i didn’t even eat anything today and my tooth broke!

• Kelly says:

Here’s a link that gives a list of every dental school in the country:

• JohnMcDade says:

Ihave a bad tooth in the back thats hurting again, I’m taking an antibiotic in case there is infection ,and would like to have the tooth pulled asap, I’ve heard that dental schools are a way to save money, please let me know. Sincerely, JohnMcDade

• Nancy Drury says:

What I have is a question not a comment. My husband has dentures and both of them have broken and he is having them fixed. We now realize that he is going to have to have new ones very soon. Do you do this? If so what do you charge?

Thank you for your time in this matter.

Nancy Drury

• Joe S. says:

I had some work done at a school in philadelphia it was really cheap and the work was really good. I know how to get something done if anyone had any questions.

• Lola Jenkins says:

I AM A FIFTY-EIGHT YEAR OLD AFRICAN AMERICAN FEMALE RAISING EIGHT OF MY GRANDCHILDREN I AM A DIABETIC AND HAVE HYPERTENSION, ACID REFLUX DIEASE AS WELL A SEVERAL OTHER ILLNESSES. THE REASON I AM WRITING THIS IS TO TRY AND FIND OUT HOW I CAN GET DENTURES BECAUSE I DON’T HAVE TEETH I AM UNABLE TO DIGEST MY FOOD WHICH MEANS I CAN NOT CONTROL MY BLOOD SUGARS AND I FEEL THAT IF I COULD FIND AWAY TO AFFORD DENTURES IT WOULD HELP ME CONTROL MY DIET AND INCREASE THE TIME I HAVE TO LIVE BECAUSE I CAN NOT PROBABLY CHEW MY FOOD MY DIGESTIVE SYSTEM IS OFF AND I ALWAY HAVE INDIGESTION. I HAVE TO LIVB TO TAKE CARE OF MY GRANDCHILDREN THERE ARE SIX BOYS AND TWO LITTLE GIRLS I AM NOT ASKING FOR SOMEONE TO GIVE TO ME FREE BUT TO FIND SOME DENTURES THAT I CAM AFFORD.

• pfadvice says:

@ lola

I would contact any dental schools in your area to see if they have a program that might be able to help you out. I would also contact individual dentists in your area to see if they have any recommendation on courses of action you might take. Also any local charities – it isn’t going to be easy to find something, but if you are persistent something may come through.

• Rick Winkler says:

My mouth is a mess how can I learn if you can help?

• les macpherson says:

i need a root canel post and crown
    looking for low cost dental work
    please help thanks
    ps had two done in mexico for 460
    dollars each but can not get passport to return for the last one

• thomas spink says:

L HAVE 17 BAD TEETH TO BE EXTRACTED.NO INSURANCE—-WHERE CAN I GET A PRICE ESTIMATE FOR EXTRACTIONS AND PLATES—THANK YOU

• gretchen says:

what do u call this tyed of work like if i wanted to go let some students work on me what do u call it and how can i do this i would love to do this and what do i say and ask i live in the Louisiana area and or lsu place isn’t taking no one so ill go somewhere else like Mississippi or what ever but i need this done to me .o ya and when i call what ever place witch dept do i ask for. i no this may be alot but this is the frist time i heard this and im ready

• Amber says:

I am a student at concorde career college in aurora colorado and recently came in to learn oral surgery. I need fillings and wisdom teeth removed really bad and didnt know what I need to o to be seen there. I was hoping someone could help!!! thanks for your help and letting me come assist for you guys! hope to hear from you all soon.

• kaydene says:

Iam missing four teeth in my mouth, which is soooooo obvious when i smile and it’s embarassing.Would loved to have my tooth fixed so i can smile without hiding my mouth. I have dental insurance but it does not cover every thing. I would like to know what the process is, to get dental work in the dental school.
    Thanks
    Kay

• Stephanie Rivers says:

I just wanted to say “Thank You” for the great information. I am a single mom with 2 kids and my oldest, who is 14, has had bad teeth ever since the beginning. He has had 3 root canals and now needs 3 crowns. There is no way I can afford them, and it is something he absolutely needs. All dentist offices now want the money up front, and I can’t do it. UNC is 20 mins away, I hope they can help us. Thank you, again!

• Matthew says:

My name is Matthew Owen. I recently had a full mouth extraction. I was given dentures to be able to chew solid
    food, but due to complications they cause me to gag, I have digestive complications with my stomach, and I have anxiety problems. I am unable to wear them due to these complications, my doctor has also agreed with these symptoms. I attempted to try for full dental implants, but my insurance has refused to cover the overall costs. I have Medicare as my primary insurance and my secondary is Medicaid with Americhoice. I am fully disabled and unable to work, I receive a disability check. However check is not enough to cover the cost to live, let alone an expensive procedure. My insurance has denied the procedure completely, I still have the paperwork and they will not cover any of the costs. Thus, I am now attempting to find a dental school that may be able to help me with dental implants. I have heard that dental schools may offer these procedures for very low costs or free. With the supervision of a teacher with the students. If this is possible I would be very appreciative for some information.
    Thank you for your time in this matter,

Sincerely,
    Matthew Owen

• pfadvice says:

For all those looking for dental schools for treatments you seek, you will need to contact the dental schools directly to see if they can help you out. Schools have different programs and policies – although it’s a lot of legwork, it’s the only way to know if they may be able to help.

• ken levy says:

I had to have #7 removed.It was a crow and the root split.Now my only choice is a dental implant and a crown.The denist in Albany wants 4,000 dollars for the implant and 2,000 for the crown.I know I could have it done in Cancun for less than 2,000 implant and crown.But I really don’t want to go to Mexico if I could have it done here.Do they do implants and crowns at dental schools?

• Marilyn Brodeur says:

Kevin- yes they do implants and crowns at dental schools. At my dental school the implant/abutmetn/crown can be done for 1500-200 dollars. Other schools may be higher or lower.

Matthew Owen- sometimes dentures can cause you to gag if they are to bulkly in the back. They can irritate your superior constrictor muscle and cause you to gag. A simple trim of you denture may be all that is needed. Your doctor is not the person to discuss your dental health with. Talk to your dentist about your concerns.

~Marilyn
    To everyone else concerned about if a dental school can help:
    Many schools offer reduced fees to people who have low incomes. The dental students will do a comprehensive exam, x-rays and then sit down and develop some treatment options. After this is complete they discuss treatment and you can decide what you would like done.

I have personally had patients who hadn’t been to the dentist in years and need a lot of work. Slowly but surely we are turning things around and getting their mouths healthy. It can be done.

• Marilyn says:

sorry that is 1500-2000 dollars for the implant/abutment/crown.

• Maria says:

Hi everyone! It’s very exciting to read the posts in this blog. I am a student dentist accepting patients. If you or someone you know are in the Boston area, please contact me and I will do my best to accommodate the days/times most convenient for you to come into the clinic. If you just have questions, I would gladly answer them, as well. Thanks!

• Michelle says:

I just found out about the possibility of having a student do some work on my teeth. I immediately googled it and came up with this site. Marilyn, I only have one thing to say to you…Thank you thank you thank you. Not only am I going to call one of the schools, but now I know what to expect and know to plan on it taking a little time…which I don’t mind if it comes with a less expensive price tag!!!

• archie says:

More of a question how much do you think to have a full set of dentures made at a school “if they even do that” I have always had problems with my theeth for the last 10 years meaning have them chip then having them removed. My upper theeth i mainly have from K9 to K9 theeth and equal for the bottom Im afraid of getting partails because of the money and I don’t know how long before another thooth goes bad any help you could give would be great I live in the Pittsburgh area.

• Maria says:

Hi Archie. You can definitely get complete dentures done at the school. They are around $700-950 per arch where I am. I don’t think it’s as easy as saying that you want to have your remaining teeth extracted to get complete dentures. The best thing to do is make an appoinment at one of the schools in your area. The dentist should come up with the appropriate treatment plan and options for your specific case. Hope that helps.

• Jose Bouza says:

looking for inexpensive dental work if possible thank you

• Benny Bulger says:

You’re wrong about Insurance acceptance. It plainly states on the school closest to me (Baylor) that insurance is NOT accepted. Of course this is probably the only school in the country that doesn’t accept insurance since it is the one I live near. I can’t afford to put out all the money even at the schools prices. Any suggestions?

• Maria says:

Hi Jose. If you are in or near Boston, I will be able to provide affordable dental treatment in the school clinic.

• Laura says:

I need to get my top wisdom teeth removed they hurt so bad…how much will that cost me? im in sc, york

• KIM says:

I HAVE HAD 11 BRAIN SERGERIES DUE TO INFECTIONS ALL IT WAS WAS 2 ABSESS TEETH THAT THEY MISSED ALL THE WAY .WHEN ARE DOCTORS AND DENTISTS GOING TO START WORKING HAND IN HAND OH YES THATS WRIGHT TO MANY PEOPLE WOULD START LOSING MONEY HOSPITALS DOCTORS ECT.BUT THE LITTLE PEOPLE WOULD NOT THATS THE PROBLEM FOLOW THE MONEY AND START MAKING THEM GIVE IT UP WHY THATS NOT THE NORM RIGHT NOW?BET YOU CANT GET THAT ANS.

• karen says:

this was very helpful thank you… iam looking to get implants and am wondering if anyone knows if the medical college of georgia does this …. the school of dentistry..
    any imput will be appreciated

• Chad Morrow says:

I was wondering. My wife has a hereditary teeth problem. Everone over forty has had to have dentures, On both sides! Does she or would she qualify for a implant program or denture program if she voluneered her teeth and time in exchange for dental work. basically the students test dummy for there degree. and i dont mean that in a bad way. Thanks, C morrow.

• Jae says:

I am in dire need of dental work. All my teeth are chipped and breaking. Everyone in my family loses their teeth after 40 or so, our bone deteriorates and slowly are teeth chip and fall apart. As everyone else in the world, I have no dental insurance adn can’t afford these astronimical amounts for dental work. Is there a college, in Illinois, that can use my mouth/teeth as a case study and perform the necessary work free or minimal cost. I used to be beautiful and now I am so depressed, because my smile is an embarrassment. Please, help!!!

• arlene bolen says:

I’M IN NEED OF DENTAL IMPLANTS. JUST LAST WEEK A FRONT TOOTH JUST FELL OUT. I NEED A SCHOOL TEACHING THEIR STUDENTS THIS PARTICULAR TYPE OF DENTISTRY. I’M NOT CAPABLE OF PAYING AND WILL PROUD TO BE A TEST PATIENT TO HELP A FUTURE DENTIST PASS NATIONAL BOARD EXAMS.WILL ANYONE TAKE ME ON IN THE STATE OF MARYLAND? PLEASE REMEMBER I CANNOT PAY. I’M ACTUALLY BEGGING FOR YOUR HELP!!!!!!!!!!!

• mark says:

this is terrible information on local dental schools. the wiki link shows one dental school in all of missouri and it’s on the kansas city side of the state. now the wiki says here is a complete list in the united states and i know of a few dental colleges close by st.louis so i found this information to be far from helpful and i wasted 30 minutes reading for helpful info.

• Jodi Keddy says:

I am a single mother my daughter is only 8 yrs old her father was murdered when she was three so I am the only surviving parent.I was also diagnosed with interstial cycitis a.k.a disease of my blatter had to take different medicines in process prior to being diagnosed was also sick to my stomach alot and also due to depression and stress had alot of tmj had ruined my teeth and getting sick to my stomach I was informed my teeth were bad and probably going to loose them.Iam only 28 with no longer a job or dental insurance with no immediate income as a single mom with already health issues and scared don’t know where to start or get help and i dont want to leave my daughter behind with no parent because i couldn’t get my teeth fixed and infection to spread to my body or kidneys.I dont want this to happen so could somebody give me addvice/help on what to do before its to late.Thankyou

• gwenautea says:

i think this is great by letting people know with low income here they can get their teeth fix. thank again gwen

• Jodi Keddy says:

I am happy with the sight and support and also has resorces

• lois hillestad says:

can you tell me if Santa Rosa Californa has a dental school where I can go for treatment?

• Maria B says:

HI I’M A 39 YR OLD WOMAN LIVING IN MISSISSIPPI.MY MOUTH IS IN BAD NEED OF DENTIST WORK.MY TEETH ARE CROOKED AND IN MY LATE TEENS I HAD THE GUM DISEASE PERIODONTIST IS WHAT IT’S CALLED? I HAVE DECAY AROUND MOST OF MY TEETH AND WAS WONDERING IF A DENTIST SCHOOL WORK ON THE TYPE OF PROBLEMS THAT I HAVE IN MY MOUTH/ ALSO I HAVENT BEEN TO A DENTIST SINCE I WAS PROBABLY IN MY EARLY TWENTIES AND I AM SO SCARED OF GETTING WORK DONE IN FEAR OF PAIN AND I’M SO EMBARASSED OF MY MOUTH,BUT I’M TIRED OF HIDING MY SMILE BECAUSE OF MY TEETH.IS THER ANY HELP FOR ME? PLEASE EMAIL SOON THANK YOU VERY MUCH.

• sherry says:

i am needing major dental work done to keep it brief i am from missouri and i was wondering if there was any other schools besides the one in kansas maybe in the st.louis area

• khara says:

the dental school in louisiana is not taking patients unless you have a dentist. i need teeth pulled bad.

• In Pain says:

I’m in pain all the time. I’m disabled and can barely afford rent and food let alone things like dental work. My teeth have been breaking off for years, despite twice daily brushing and flossing. I’m 43 and have mouth pain most of the time. All my lower molars are gone. I have two top molars left. I say gone, but the tops are broken,most of the teeth are there below the gum llne they are slowly rotting away. What do you suggest for me. I have no car. The closest dental school is a 4 hour $6dollar one way bus trip (actually 5 busses one way). I get medicare, but don’t qualify for medicaid. I get about 1,000 a month. But my rent is 640 and that’s for a studio. My eclectric averages 120. The rest goes to food. How am I supposed to pay for anything?? So my teeth rot away, and no one seems to care enough to help. ANy ideas?

• mark twain says:

sign up for a visit let them bill you! who cares if it goes to collection! you have rights just ask if they can bill the payment

• Kelly says:

Some schools require payment up front. I asked around at a school in Arizona and there was no billing option.

• Charlee says:

Baylor dental school in Dallas Texas is not free anymore! 57 dollars gets you an ex Ray and exam where they tell you based on the condition of your teeth what they will do.

In my case some of my teeth are so far gone and I have sjoregrens which is an autoimmune disease affecting the saliva glands that all of my teeth need extracting and a full set of dentures will costs me 1,400.00. Sounds high till you call a dentist in private practice and the price is four grand for top and same for the bottoms. Eight grand for false teeth lol. Time to go to Mexico. Progreso is the dental Capitol of Mexico, I’ve heard good and bad so homework is imperative. Just a heads up.

What happened to the free college ?

• Hasan says:

Marilyn,

I am missing both lateral incisors and need bridges. Otherwise, my teeth are healthy. Will a dental school do them? Thanks.

• Sarah says:

Don’t forget, dental hygiene schools do the same exact thing!!! THe one I got to offers $30 cleanings!

• sartorio says:

Yes Hasan I’m sure they would. Everyone who is curious should just give the school a call and ask, I bet you’d get a quick answer.

• Louis says:

I tried a Dental school once… called about having tooth
    pulled… they wanted to charge me $140 for this my own
    dentist was charging $110… I think you may be out of the
    loop about Dental Schools and how much they charge.

• frank says:

I had work done at medical college of Georgia. The work was terrible. I had to make return visits after every part of the proceedure. So it was taking years and hundreds of dollars in gas. I live 150 miles from there. The cost kept going up before they could finish. I decided it was not worth it and fired them in the middle of the work. Now I have no opptions.

• Rose says:

We live in Albany, GA. My best friend has terrible teeth and has been out of work for quite some time. Please help me find a good dentist/oral surgeon/school that will do this work inexpensively. Thank you so much.

• Margie says:

For all the single mothers check http://www.adcfmom.org it is a site that helps single and low income mothers get their teeth fixed for free..Check to see when an event is if your state is listed.. hope this helps 8)

• Ariel says:

How much would it cost for top and bottom dentures?
    And what is a good number to call?

• Rosalind Berman-Myerson says:

I live in the Greater Boston area and have gone to one of the dental schools. I am covered under my husband’s dental insurance. My husband’s dental insurance is just so so. In other words, his dental insurance pays better then some, and not as good as others. I found out that even with my husband’s dental insurance that before I could have any type of dental work done in my mouth, that I would have to pay for all treatments up front. I needed to have some reconstructive dental treatment done. therefore, all I had the student dentist do was a cleaning. I called the other two dental schools in the Greater Boston area, and their policy was the same if you have dental insurance. If you don’t have dental insurance, then you had to pay for the treatment in 3 installments. Yes, going to a dental school is much less expensive then going to a dentist, however, find out up front what the policy is if you have dental insurance and if you do not have dental insurance. Otherwise, you may find yourself crying in the lobby as I did when I found out that I would still have to pay for the rest of the work even though I had dental insurance. I still have to reconstructive dental done, and I’m not sure where to go.

If you don’t have a lot of money to pay for dental work, whether or not you go to a dentist or a dental school, then you are out of luck! In other words, you need to have plenty of money!

• Kevin says:

All of these options are eventually designed to make my teeth and my smile look the way you desire it to, and allow me to reclaim my positive self-image. Thanks!

• Debra says:

Is there a school that take patients in the Albany area? I am in need of major work. Disabled too boot, afraid that if I do not get the work done soon, I will lose all my teeth. All cavities at the gum line due to the loads of medications I have been on. I am figuring this will be implants or vaniers. Please I need help and scared to death of losing my only thing that means everything to me.
    I’ve already lost my ability to live a normal life w/o depending on a scooter, I cannot lose my teeth. Haven’t smiled in yrs, would really love to at least be able to smile and not feel embarrassed by another problem, my teeth. I’m to young. I would love to help a student as you will be helping me a great deal too!

• Anthony says:

Hello to the Dentist and or school of dentistry student who welcomes challenges that seem impossible to correct to the once beautiful and healthy teeth seem hopeless (to me) to repair due to certain conditions beyond a person’s control. Are you willing to welcome a “before and after” challenge for FREE OR CHEAP in exchange for perhaps an ADA profile that puts you near the “best dentists” elite and the notoriety of a celebrity that we all merely dream upon?
    I’m an aged 46 male in good health with some recent misfortunes who needs a beautiful smile again to accept positions that can also bring you more fame and fortune and most importantly, a proven and successful reference. I live in North Central West Virginia but willing to travel anywhere and meet your schedule when it’s convenient for you.
    If any of this may be of interest to you, please respond without any further obligations expected. Thank You for your time and reading and any attempts in understanding and willingness to meet my invaluable needs.

ARW

• Crystal says:

ARW, I am kind of confused by your post, are you a dentist or are you looking for work? I am sorry if I sound stupid, but I am misunderstanding your post, please don’t be offended. Thank you for your time

• mary says:

• I know this is an oldish post, but you guys seem to be helpful and actually reply to comments. I need dentures due to a GI problem I had/have had for years. All the enamel is gone from my teeth and so I need dentures. At 34. Um anyway, I went to one dentist and was quoted $15k for dentures and over $30k for all implants. he also suggest that snap in dentures might be a good idea, but again, super expensive.

Would a student school do snap in dentures? I would be going to the University of Pittsburgh School of Dental Medicine. Their website says dentures fixed, or removable so I don’t know if that was just dentures or the snap in ones.

• Jeffrey Strain says:

Make the appointment with the dental school. They will give you a thorough check-up and then let you know your options.

• Cheryl Eladma says:

You look busy, but hope you see my note. I have a bridge, I have had it for around tree years, I was told by another Dentist that my body was pushing it out, it is loss, ok he want $200,00 to take it out, the right side of my face swells big, it happened two times now. I have seven teeth on the bottom and one tooth in the back on the top and the bridge, with four teeth hooked to the bridge. I want all pulls and get Dentures, can you help me? I can’t afford to have it done, what do you do when you don’t have money? My husband needs all his teeth pulled as well and have Dentures too.

• Jaymee says:

You really couldn’t find 1 dental school in Utah to list? Lol My problem is that I can’t find 1 decent dental school within 4 hours of where I live to get work done. The dental school in my area only does cleanings :/

• David says:

Hi , I currently have a too full denture and a partial bottom. They were amazing for a good while but they are getting loose . will a dental school save me money on a new liner and possibly a new bottom partial? Thank you

• How Local Schools Can Help You Save Money on Entertainment and Services - SavingAdvice.com Blog says:

[…] you may be able to find some great deals on haircuts, creative services, entertainment, repairs, dental work and more. For example, if you have a culinary school in your area, you may have regular […]

• […] From SavingAdvice: I found the article The Great Secret to Cheap Dental Care, to be of interest in regards to considering a school for your dental work. I think this would be […]