Saving Advice Forums  

Go Back   Saving Advice Forums > Financial Chit Chat > Ways To Make Money

Ways To Make Money Making money is another option to consider in addition to saving money. Share ways to make money, tips on making extra money and questions on how to make money

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-11-2017, 09:23 AM
$ Saving College Sophomore

Forum Posts: 865
Default Who Makes Money On Line?

This is one of those things to me that just sounds too good to be true. I've always been skeptical when I see this suggested, and feel like the average person could make more delivering pizzas or mowing grass.

I would like to hear some some actual first hand examples of individuals that have actually made significant income just sitting home pecking the keyboard; blogging, doing surveys, or any other number of similar methods commonly suggested.

What did you do and how much did you make in a year?
How much did it pay per hour of effort?
Old 01-11-2017, 09:41 AM
Banned

Forum Posts: 1,611

There are a couple guys I follow on YouTube that make over 100k a year but they put 2 or 3 videos up per week and probably spend a good 4-6 hours per video filming and editing
Old 01-11-2017, 02:58 PM
$ Saving College Junior

Forum Posts: 1,434

I asked this is another thread.

I know a fair amount of people, but I don't know anyone who is working from home surfing the internet making money.

Although I have a brother-in-law that earns over $100K a year playing online poker. Does that count? He tried day-trading for a year and decided online poker was much more profitable, and with no brokerage commissions.

-- Steve Martin, "The Jerk".
Old 01-11-2017, 06:57 PM
Super Moderator

Forum Posts: 26,067

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishindude77 View Post
I would like to hear some some actual first hand examples of individuals that have actually made significant income just sitting home pecking the keyboard; blogging, doing surveys, or any other number of similar methods commonly suggested.

As I've shared before, I do a lot of online surveys. I'd say my income is "significant".

2016: $9,914.00
2015: $12,163.00
2014: $10,879.00

Of course, these surveys are not available to the public. They are professional surveys, but it is still legit online income above and beyond my regular job.

On a separate note, I used to sell on ebay regularly - full time for a few months when I was between jobs. That was back in the late 1990s and early 2000s. At my peak, I was doing $2,000-3,000/month in sales. Of that, about 70% was profit. I still sell here and there but nothing regular. I did under $1,000 in sales last year.

* Despite the high cost of living, it remains very popular.
* Why should I pay for my daughter's education when she already knows everything?
* There are no shortcuts to anywhere worth going.
Old 01-12-2017, 05:49 AM
Administrator

Forum Posts: 5,688

I make money online. Working for this site.
Old 01-12-2017, 05:52 AM
Administrator

Forum Posts: 5,688

Quote:
This is one of those things to me that just sounds too good to be true. I've always been skeptical when I see this suggested, and feel like the average person could make more delivering pizzas or mowing grass.

How much did it pay per hour of effort?
I'm paid as an independent contractor to work for this website. Yes, I probably could make more mowing grass or delivering pizza, but those jobs would require a lot more effort and work. I can do this gig in my pajamas. The income isn't significant in the overall scheme of things, but it is nice supplemental income.
Old 01-12-2017, 06:11 AM
Banned

Forum Posts: 1,272

Hey James, hit me up with a paying job offer. I could use some extra money.
Old 01-12-2017, 07:52 AM

Forum Posts: 865

Looks like DS is the only one making much of anything on line, and you certainly couldn't live on what he's making.
Old 01-12-2017, 08:06 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Looks like DS is the only one making much of anything on line, and you certainly couldn't live on what he's making.
True, but I think you're asking the wrong people and might be asking the wrong question.

You asked who makes money online. I think a lot of people do. Does it replace a full time income from a traditional job? Probably not for the vast majority of folks. But it might be enough for a parent to stay at home with a young child or for someone with physical challenges to bring in money when they aren't able to do things like deliver pizzas or mow lawns.

* Why should I pay for my daughter's education when she already knows everything?
Old 01-12-2017, 08:55 AM
Administrator

Forum Posts: 622

Online work is becoming more and more common.

I live in a multifamily building in Portland, Oregon. I was talking with one of my neighbors the other day, she's been in the building for about 20 years. As we were chatting it came up that the building used to empty out during the day, as everyone was working in downtown. Now, half the building works from home, doing coding, internet marketing, etc.
Old 01-23-2017, 06:29 PM

Forum Posts: 840

There were some people who posted fake news for the hits during political campaigns - a guy who worked for the Republican party made $20 or 30k, unfortunately he bragged about it to a reporter who published the story and he was fired from his job for telling lies online. There was a guy in Eastern Europe who did the same thing but more intensely and he was bringing in $10k or more each month from hits.

I make a couple bucks a month doing surveys for Pinecone research (many people on here do surveys for them - they are the best of the lot).

Check out Microsoft.com - they do not pay cash, they pay in software and more recently hardware.
Old 01-23-2017, 07:08 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by james.hendrickson View Post
Online work is becoming more and more common.

I live in a multifamily building in Portland, Oregon. I was talking with one of my neighbors the other day, she's been in the building for about 20 years. As we were chatting it came up that the building used to empty out during the day, as everyone was working in downtown. Now, half the building works from home, doing coding, internet marketing, etc.
I meant to reply to this when you first posted, but since the thread got bumped up....

There is a difference between doing a traditional job that enables you to work from home/telecommute and actual online work that isn't tied to a regular job and workplace, which I think is what OP was asking about.

I know many people with "regular" jobs that are able to work from home one or two days a week because so much of what they do takes place online anyway. My niece is a programmer for Google. She can do her job from anywhere she's got a good internet connection. But I wouldn't count that as "making money online" in the way that OP meant.

Old 01-24-2017, 04:04 PM
Banned

Been doing pretty good selling clothes on eBay, brand new with tags bought at deep discounts from Ross Dress For Less. Today I scored women's north face pants for $5 with a $65 retail, a north face hoodie for $3.50 that retails for $55, a Mens north face shirt for $2 retailing for $30 and a bunch of ear warmers for .99 that should fetch $10, I bought all 24 that they had, as I'm writing this I just sold 1.

I have a 30 day return policy with Ross so I have zero chance of taking any loss
Outdoorsygal likes this.
Old 01-24-2017, 04:07 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 97guns View Post
Been doing pretty good selling clothes on eBay, brand new with tags bought at deep discounts from Ross Dress For Less. Today I scored women's north face pants for $5 with a $65 retail, a north face hoodie for $3.50 that retails for $55, a Mens north face shirt for $2 retailing for $30 and a bunch of ear warmers for .99 that should fetch $10, I bought all 24 that they had, as I'm writing this I just sold 1.

I have a 30 day return policy with Ross so I have zero chance of taking any loss
I love this! This is the kind of stuff that I used to do when I had more free time - find those little ways to exploit the system without breaking any rules.

I wonder, though, if your local Ross store might throttle your returns if you do too many of them. Stores quickly catch on to stuff like this. If every week, you are returning a cart full of items, you may get in trouble.

Old 01-24-2017, 04:14 PM
$ Saving Jr. College Student

Forum Posts: 428

I just went back to selling on Ebay a few weeks ago. Got discouraged of their BS and stopped for a while. But surprisingly, didn't loose my Top Rated Seller Status.
At the same time, I stopped selling on Amazon to take a break too.

Here are my recent sales for the last two weeks for Ebay and today on Amazon.
Amazon i made $42.00 today after shipping and fees

I mark all of my items up to double or more in profit. So I need to make 100% profit at the very least on each item. Stupid rule to follow but it is what works for my bookkeeping

I buy most items for .50 cents to $1

$130 on Ebay for the last month. $50 for the last week on Amazon. Again, I am getting back to selling online so this is perfectly fine.

I have alot of good stuff to list and started branching out to selling clothes on Ebay so we'll see....
Attachments Pending Approval
File Type: jpg Screen Shot 2017-01-24 at 4.07.58 PM.jpg
File Type: jpg Screen Shot 2017-01-24 at 4.09.31 PM.jpg

Last edited by Outdoorsygal; 01-24-2017 at 04:26 PM.
Old 01-24-2017, 04:16 PM

Forum Posts: 772

^

I don't do this because I don't have the time or space, but you can do the tried and true garage sale bulk purchases. You can get stuff for super cheap, refurb, then resell on ebay.

Salvation army/goodwill has "gross lots" auctions - basically if there's excess of donations, they'll auction off the stuff in bulk. They are much cheaper than what they're selling for in the store.
Old 01-24-2017, 04:21 PM

Quote:

Ingenious!!
Old 01-24-2017, 04:21 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneysteve View Post

I wonder, though, if your local Ross store might throttle your returns if you do too many of them. Stores quickly catch on to stuff like this. If every week, you are returning a cart full of items, you may get in trouble.

Haven't done any bulk returns yet, there's so much meat on the bones that I can slash the price and still make a few bucks, Calvin Klein dresses have been good too, snagging them for $5-10 with an MSRP of $140 on the tag
Old 01-24-2017, 04:23 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outdoorsygal View Post
Ingenious!!

My wife spend hours in Ross stores so I discovered it to combat my boredom
Old 01-24-2017, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Haven't done any bulk returns yet, there's so much meat on the bones that I can slash the price and still make a few bucks, Calvin Klein dresses have been good too, snagging them for $5-10 with an MSRP of $140 on the tag
If it is ok to ask...are you marking up the shipping really high and lowering the item cost to discourage returns?
If so, is it or has it, affected your feedback in a negative way?