Saving Advice Forums  

Go Back   Saving Advice Forums > Financial Chit Chat > Personal Finance

Personal Finance Credit cards, home loans, retirement plans and taxes. The place for all your personal finance questions.

Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By 97guns
  • 1 Post By 97guns
  • 1 Post By Jluke
  • 1 Post By msomnipotent
  • 1 Post By Jluke

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-11-2017, 08:28 AM
$ Saving Kindergartener

Forum Posts: 2
Default should I invest savings?

I am a retired 78y senior citizen. I have a large savings account in a bank, not sure whether to keep it there for safety or find some low risk investment? My monthly income is sufficient for my needs. Too old to take chances however. TIA hette
Old 05-11-2017, 08:34 AM
$ Saving College Senior

Forum Posts: 1,575

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hette1 View Post
I am a retired 78y senior citizen. I have a large savings account in a bank, not sure whether to keep it there for safety or find some low risk investment? My monthly income is sufficient for my needs. Too old to take chances however. TIA hette

At 78 I'm spending money like there's no tomorrow, have some fun and don't worry about low risk or chances, let loose and let it rip
Hette1 likes this.
Old 05-11-2017, 08:40 AM
$ Saving College Senior

Forum Posts: 1,575

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying blow the whole wad but have some fun. My dad always wanted a 2 seater sports car and it never came to be, he left with an estate worth a dozen little sports cars
Hette1 likes this.
Old 05-11-2017, 08:48 AM
$ Saving College Sophomore

Forum Posts: 760

Vanguard LifeStrategy Income Fund (VASIX). Expense Rate is 0.12%

https://investor.vanguard.com/mutual.../overview/0723

20%stocks/80%bonds

do your research on that suggestion...

or online account like CapitalOne360 where you can get 1%
Hette1 likes this.

Last edited by Jluke; 05-11-2017 at 08:58 AM.
Old 05-11-2017, 09:15 AM
$ Saving College Freshman

Forum Posts: 534

A mutual fund or even staggered CD's are pretty tame and would get the job done. Have you thought about doing anything else with your money, like adding to grandkids' college funds or starting a charity fund for the tax benefits?
Hette1 likes this.
Old 05-11-2017, 09:34 AM
Super Moderator

Forum Posts: 25,752

Welcome to the site.

What is this money for? Is it money you expect to need for yourself at some point? Do you want to leave it as an inheritance to family? Would you like to support some charities that are meaningful to you?

Knowing the purpose of the money will help answer the question of what to do with it.

* Despite the high cost of living, it remains very popular.
* Why should I pay for my daughter's education when she already knows everything?
* There are no shortcuts to anywhere worth going.
Old 05-11-2017, 03:49 PM
$ Saving Kindergartener

Forum Posts: 2

thnx to everyone for your input It is money that I want to have available for my care should that be needed as I get older and/or leave money to my children. I did get a couple of 2% 17month CDs thru NFCU and put money in their 0.65% savings account. Will look into Capitol One's 1% online too. My CPA suggested that my savings may run out with yearly inflation because its not earning much. I consulted with a financial adviser thru NFCU and decided on very conservative $100K investment thru S&P investments but when I read the fine print and realized I could lose some of it I wasn't sure if it was a good idea and haven't signed anything. Btw I also have some good solid stocks that bring in small dividends every month.I don't get a big income every month but it covers my needs. hette
Old 05-11-2017, 04:14 PM
$ Saving College Sophomore

Forum Posts: 760

You seem to have it under control - just be very careful of using a financial advisor (they are more like salesman).

Always check to see if they are charging you 1% of AUM (Assets Under Management). That adds up quickly and will reduce your return. Because even if your funds lose value, the salesman is still going to take the 1%.

And check the ER (Expense Rate) for each fund and whether they are no load or charge yet another fee.

You really are better off investing on your own - we can help
Hette1 likes this.
Old 05-11-2017, 06:28 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hette1 View Post
I consulted with a financial adviser thru NFCU and decided on very conservative $100K investment thru S&P investments but when I read the fine print and realized I could lose some of it I wasn't sure if it was a good idea and haven't signed anything.
You were right not to go through with that. Stay far away from financial advisers. Most are no more than slick salespeople akin to used car peddlers. They do what is in their best interest, not yours.

There are plenty of simple and inexpensive ways to invest if you are interested in doing so. Plenty of folks here can help guide you in how to go about that.

* Why should I pay for my daughter's education when she already knows everything?
Old 05-19-2017, 02:48 PM
$ Saving Third Grader

Forum Posts: 18

at 78 and large amount of savings, have you thought about wealth transition + savings? e.g. a whole life insurance policy?
Old 05-19-2017, 03:01 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaoru View Post
at 78 and large amount of savings, have you thought about wealth transition + savings? e.g. a whole life insurance policy?
Whole life is a rip off. Stay far, far away from anyone telling you that it's a good idea.

Old 05-19-2017, 04:08 PM
$ Saving College Junior

Forum Posts: 1,167

Hette, Pretty much any investment that isn't paying out at least 3-4% isn't a safe investment because your money is literally losing value by way of inflation even if it isn't much. So by trying to stay 'safe', you are doing yourself a disservice. You seem to be happy with your stocks and the dividends they are paying out. Have you considered spreading the money out and investing more in each of the same stocks? Or through Capital One 360 (everything is on line), you can buy the same stocks and have it set up that the dividends are reinvested into the stocks and so they will grow. Did you pick out the stocks yourself or did someone else? Since you seem to be currently happy with them, no reason to go looking for different ones.If you need the money for your care, it can be tapped little by little, but it still has a chance to grow more than what it is now. if you never need 'care', I'm sure your family will appreciate the money that is left behind.

You also might want to think of something you have always wanted for yourself or a charity you really believe in and give some of the money so you can see the good it is doing.

The also have things like family trusts that can be set up, but I can't explain it all or know if it is really good for someone in your situation. But it would make it easier to transfer money to your care and then to family members.

If you are still living in your own home, are there any fix it things that if done now will save money down the road and help make the house more attractive to potential buyers later on? If so do them. If your furnace or hot water heater, etc. are over 20-25 years old, you may want to think about getting new ones that will be more energy efficient and won't be dying on you and leaving you cold in the middle winter. At least in my area, that is when furnaces bite the bullet!

Hope some of these will help, but please do remember that 1% interest isn't safe as it isn't really keeping up with inflation. It is just one step removed from keeping it in under the mattress.
Old 05-19-2017, 08:04 PM
$ Saving Assistant Professor

Forum Posts: 3,988

Welcome to SA. I agree with Gailete, your savings are losing considerable value to inflation. Have you researched the escalating cost of future 'assisted living' care? Understand there is risk involved in every choice. I hope you'll read some of our discussions on investment choices. Disney Steve often participates and points out pros and cons of various ideas.

We used to balance allocation by subtracting our age from 100 but time has overtaken that standard.