Saving Advice Forums  

Go Back   Saving Advice Forums > Financial Chit Chat > Personal Finance

Personal Finance Credit cards, home loans, retirement plans and taxes. The place for all your personal finance questions.

Like Tree7Likes

Closed Thread
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
  #41 (permalink)  
Old 01-11-2017, 07:44 AM
GoodSteward's Avatar
Moderator
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Forum Posts: 902
Default

The point of that slide was to give a theoretical return given those scenarios. You argued with me, very emphatically and IMO inappropriately, that it was a flat out lie. I have shown it technically is possible, therefore not a lie. Not what I would use to figure someone's retirement, but is fine just for teaching.

I don't feel there is any need to keep this going since it wasn't about investment advice. It was just to show the value of compound interest and starting sooner.
__________________
Everything happens for a reason. Sometimes that reason is you're stupid and make bad choices.
  #42 (permalink)  
Old 01-11-2017, 11:08 AM
$ Saving College Sophomore
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Forum Posts: 819
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nutria View Post

They are awed into speechlessness by my superior intellect...
  #43 (permalink)  
Old 01-11-2017, 11:11 AM
$ Saving College Sophomore
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Forum Posts: 819
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nutria View Post
OK. I was just calculating closing values.
  #44 (permalink)  
Old 01-11-2017, 11:14 AM
$ Saving College Sophomore
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Forum Posts: 819
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nutria View Post

One other issue is that no one invests only in the S&P500. What would it look like with 20% invested in a broad market bond fund?
So you were proven wrong so now it is time to change your argument.
  #45 (permalink)  
Old 01-11-2017, 11:50 AM
$ Saving College Junior
 
Join Date: May 2015
Forum Posts: 1,407
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by StormRichards View Post
So you were proven wrong so now it is time to change your argument.
The argument is whether it's reasonable for people to have 9% growth for 20 years. The answer is, "yes", if you keep 100% of your money in an S&P 500 fund for 25 years.
  #46 (permalink)  
Old 01-11-2017, 11:58 AM
$ Saving College Sophomore
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Forum Posts: 819
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nutria View Post
The argument is whether it's reasonable for people to have 9% growth for 20 years. The answer is, "yes", if you keep 100% of your money in an S&P 500 fund for 25 years.
So where is your evidence to back up your statement that "no one" does this?

And before you change directions again, I am pretty sure the argument was about investments not money. Clearly the money people use to live off of on a weekly basis is not in the S&P 500. But since you can't prove that no one invests 100% in the S&P for 25 years, then I figured that you might turn down another street.
  #47 (permalink)  
Old 01-11-2017, 12:11 PM
$ Saving College Junior
 
Join Date: May 2015
Forum Posts: 1,407
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by StormRichards View Post
So where is your evidence to back up your statement that "no one" does this?
Common sense. (But people put 100% of their money in Enron, so... )

Quote:
And before you change directions again, I am pretty sure the argument was about investments not money.


Quote:
Clearly the money people use to live off of on a weekly basis is not in the S&P 500. But since you can't prove that no one invests 100% in the S&P for 25 years, then I figured that you might turn down another street.
It is true that if you put 100% of your money in the S&P500 for 25 years, you'll get 9% returns.
  #48 (permalink)  
Old 01-11-2017, 12:43 PM
GoodSteward's Avatar
Moderator
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Forum Posts: 902
Default

Since this thread has gotten so far off topic, I will close it. If anybody wants to discuss accounts and rates please start a new thread. Thanks.
__________________
Everything happens for a reason. Sometimes that reason is you're stupid and make bad choices.
Closed Thread


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 10:10 AM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SEO by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2 ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.