Saving Advice Forums  

Go Back   Saving Advice Forums > Financial Chit Chat > Personal Finance

Personal Finance Credit cards, home loans, retirement plans and taxes. The place for all your personal finance questions.

Like Tree12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-05-2016, 06:21 AM
Super Moderator

Forum Posts: 25,212

Quote:
Originally Posted by sv2007 View Post
Smoking isn't all that bad, it gives some poeple a cheap and legal way of relaxing and pass their time.
You've made some wild posts at this site but this has got to be the worst.

Smoking isn't that bad? Seriously? Have you never heard of lung cancer, COPD, heart disease, stroke, etc?

And cheap? I'm not sure where you live but around here, the minimum price on brand names is about $8.00/pack and about $6.00/pack on generics. Considering that the majority of smokers are poor, $180-$240/month can hardly be called cheap.

About the only part of your post that is true is that smoking is legal. It's severely restricted as for where you can and can't do it but it is legal in appropriate places.

* Despite the high cost of living, it remains very popular.
* Why should I pay for my daughter's education when she already knows everything?
* There are no shortcuts to anywhere worth going.
Old 06-05-2016, 06:23 AM
$ Saving College Junior

Forum Posts: 1,362

This post fits right in with the sugar daddy post. This site has gotten mean and bizarre in the last 6 months.
Koolmagicguy likes this.
Old 06-05-2016, 06:59 AM
$ Saving College Senior

Forum Posts: 1,520

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomhole View Post
This post fits right in with the sugar daddy post. This site has gotten mean and bizarre in the last 6 months.
Theres really only one newer user that is a complete d*ck in 99% of their posts. The bizarre poster...probably dont have to name names...their new threads are out of control and will respond to anything just to see their name in the threads.

The spam is under control as far as Ive seen but yeah...this site isnt nearly as enjoyable as it used to be.

Guess its time to fire up the ignore list option and add those 2 users. We'll see how well it works.
Old 06-05-2016, 08:08 AM
$ Saving Fifth Grader

Forum Posts: 39

Quote:

I agree! I feel like new people might not be joining because threads become so defensive and judgemental. If someone new does post a question or comment they get ripped apart and likely don't ever come back. It seems like it is always the same 8-10 people discussing on threads...and it goes round with people trying to have the last word, rather than offering helpful input.
Old 06-05-2016, 07:05 PM
$ Saving Fourth Grader

Forum Posts: 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by rennigade View Post
Theres really only one newer user that is a complete d*ck in 99% of their posts. The bizarre poster...probably dont have to name names...their new threads are out of control and will respond to anything just to see their name in the threads.

The spam is under control as far as Ive seen but yeah...this site isnt nearly as enjoyable as it used to be.

Guess its time to fire up the ignore list option and add those 2 users. We'll see how well it works.

Kind of off topic but slightly related.. I'm a manager at a grocery store and experience this on a daily basis. People do troll (in person) and say the most bizarre, off the wall, rude and degrading things to me or my employees just to get a reaction out of you and see what they can get away with. I have no other explanation. And it's getting worse and worse every year. I honestly don't get it.

For example.. I had a lady today ask me where the Starbucks coffee was. I said in aisle 2, the next aisle over. Pointing to the next aisle over. I EVEN OFFERED TO SHOW HER.. But she ignored me. Then she goes where's aisle 2 at? This way? And started to go the wrong direction. She then started yelling at me for "wasting" her time.

Last edited by Jbone; 06-05-2016 at 07:21 PM.
Old 06-05-2016, 09:00 PM
$ Saving College Junior

Forum Posts: 1,036

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneysteve View Post
Smoking isn't that bad? Seriously? Have you never heard of lung cancer, COPD, heart disease, stroke, etc?
Well, people who smoke will have to seek alternatives when that's taken away. These are people with for whatever reason have decided that they need to smoke despite all the known negative issues.

So, is weed better? or some LSD (ok, I'm not all that current on the latest cool street drugs) but just to illustrate the picture. Or maybe they get all antsy and start to beat up other people. Oh, if there's no benefit, people wouldn't be doing it. Simple economics.
Old 06-05-2016, 09:07 PM
$ Saving College Junior

Forum Posts: 1,036

Quote:
That post was a joke.
Wife read a news article and discussed with me the morning and I remembered it while reading OP's post (fits the situation nearly perfect).
I can't believe anybody taking that seriously.
Old 06-06-2016, 12:43 AM
$ Saving College Junior

Forum Posts: 1,421

Quote:
Originally Posted by sv2007 View Post
I can't believe anybody taking that seriously.
People on the Internet believe some really crazy stuff, so it's perfectly reasonable to think that you're Yet Another Troglodyte hiding your cro-magnon beliefs with "Ha ha".
Koolmagicguy likes this.
Old 06-06-2016, 05:37 AM
$ Saving College Sophomore

Forum Posts: 777
Smile

Six months and three weeks but who's counting.
Old 06-06-2016, 06:32 AM
$ Saving College Senior

Forum Posts: 1,520

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbone View Post

For example.. I had a lady today ask me where the Starbucks coffee was. I said in aisle 2, the next aisle over. Pointing to the next aisle over. I EVEN OFFERED TO SHOW HER.. But she ignored me. Then she goes where's aisle 2 at? This way? And started to go the wrong direction. She then started yelling at me for "wasting" her time.
Well as odd as that is at least that person had the gonads to troll in person. Either that or she was a little off. Either way you gotta give those people credit.

Anyone can be a keyboard warrior. There usually is not a consequence when you troll online. Its kind of like people with road rage...you will see them screaming in their cars, swerving at other cars, cutting people off, brake checking, etc etc. Now imagine that same scenario walking down the sidewalk. Whens the last time you had someone run in front of you while walking then suddenly stop directly in front of you then run again and stop. How about just someone screaming at you when passing you on the sidewalk. Doesnt happen much if ever. Everyone is suddenly tough when they are in their steel box traveling at high rates of speed. They know the chances of having an actual face to face conflict are slim to none.
Nika likes this.
Old 06-06-2016, 07:11 AM
$ Saving College Freshman

Forum Posts: 619

25 years probably. I feel we would need to keep working until our second child (expected in September) will complete her masters. I would feel too insecure to retire before that, because we do want to help them through that.
Old 06-06-2016, 09:12 AM
$ Saving College Junior

Forum Posts: 1,421

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nika View Post
25 years probably. I feel we would need to keep working until our second child (expected in September) will complete her masters.
Expecting that you unborn daughter will get a masters degree makes me chuckle. (EDIT: but not in a malicious or sarcastic way.) When our AI robot overlords replace all humans, will be anything for her to do besides smoke dope and read Camus, Sarte and Beckett?
Old 06-06-2016, 10:06 AM
$ Saving College Freshman

Forum Posts: 619
Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nutria View Post
Expecting that you unborn daughter will get a masters degree makes me chuckle. (EDIT: but not in a malicious or sarcastic way.) When our AI robot overlords replace all humans, will be anything for her to do besides smoke dope and read Camus, Sarte and Beckett?
Somebody will need to protect the robots from being hacked...

It did not occur to us that the kids won't get a degree. Like it does not occur to a pair of evangelical christians that their unborn child won't be an evangelical christian. The power of early indoctrination and expectations.

A decade ago I would have assumed that only bachelor's is a necessity. But unfortunately society and economy has changed, and master's really is a new bachelor's.

Last edited by Nika; 06-06-2016 at 10:21 AM.
Old 06-06-2016, 10:38 AM

Forum Posts: 751

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nika View Post
A decade ago I would have assumed that only bachelor's is a necessity. But unfortunately society and economy has changed, and master's really is a new bachelor's.
Meanwhile, I'm sitting here guessing that by the time my daughter and any yet unborn siblings are read for post-secondary education, a bachelor's will be too expensive to justify paying for. But, like you, I won't be surprised if we delay retirement to help pay for whatever comes after high school.
Old 06-06-2016, 10:57 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by phantom View Post
I'm sitting here guessing that by the time my daughter and any yet unborn siblings are read for post-secondary education, a bachelor's will be too expensive to justify paying for.
I'd love to see stats on actual out of pocket college costs today vs. 10 and 20 years ago. Certainly the "sticker price" of college has gone up a lot but I think financial aid as also. I wonder if the true cost has risen as much as the list price would lead you to believe.

For example, our daughter's school is stupid expensive when you just look at the listed price, but she gets over $20,000 in scholarship money which brings it down to a far more reasonable number. And these are scholarships that didn't require applications or anything. They were purely based on her performance and awarded automatically. She's still paying 3 times what I paid in 1986. Based on inflation, the 10K I paid back then would be about 22K today and she's paying just over 30, so more than can be attributed to inflation but not terribly so.
Nutria likes this.

* Why should I pay for my daughter's education when she already knows everything?
Old 06-06-2016, 11:36 AM

Forum Posts: 751

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneysteve View Post
I'd love to see stats on actual out of pocket college costs today vs. 10 and 20 years ago. Certainly the "sticker price" of college has gone up a lot but I think financial aid as also. I wonder if the true cost has risen as much as the list price would lead you to believe.

For example, our daughter's school is stupid expensive when you just look at the listed price, but she gets over $20,000 in scholarship money which brings it down to a far more reasonable number. And these are scholarships that didn't require applications or anything. They were purely based on her performance and awarded automatically. She's still paying 3 times what I paid in 1986. Based on inflation, the 10K I paid back then would be about 22K today and she's paying just over 30, so more than can be attributed to inflation but not terribly so.
I agree that would be interesting to see. Even when I went to college over a decade ago, those automatic academic scholarships made a significant difference. When my daughter finishes high school, if college lines up with her career goals, I'll definitely encourage her to apply and get an actual price before making a decision. I just don't like the assumption that an expensive college education is going to be the best path forward for most kids, especially those just being born now.
Old 06-06-2016, 12:09 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by phantom View Post
get an actual price before making a decision
This is so important. Since we started going through the process, I have told this to so many people. I've had parents say, "My kid wants to go to XYZ school but it's $50,000. We can't afford that." I do my best to explain that almost nobody actually pays $50,000 to go there. Apply and if they get accepted, see what financial aid they offer. The real price may turn out to be half of that. Don't be scared off by the price tag.

Old 06-06-2016, 01:56 PM

Forum Posts: 880

Quote:
Originally Posted by tripods68 View Post
http://freedomwithbruno.com/financial-independence/

How close are you from retiring?

I'm about 10 years.
I'm not sure if I'll plan on "retiring". Maybe when I'm in my early to mid 60's. So at least 25-30 years? Of course, a lot can happen between now and then. That's still a long ways away.
Old 06-06-2016, 02:10 PM

Forum Posts: 880

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam22 View Post
Wow...I still have another 20 years to go, but if I could get an early one if I win the lottery
I believe Dave Ramsey once said: "The lottery is a tax on the poor and people who can't do math."

Business Insider: 18 Signs That The Lottery Is Preying On America's Poor

"They are (1) regressive taxes on poor people, in that a ticket costs relatively more for a poor person than a rich person, and (2) punitive taxes on the poor and uneducated people who are the most avid buyers."

http://www.businessinsider.com/lotte...r-2012-4?op=1#

CNN Money: How the lottery snares the poor

"The poor spend a much higher percentage of their overall income on lotteries than the rich, and they can afford it less." Victor Matheson, economics professor at College of the Holy Cross

http://money.cnn.com/2016/01/12/news...ry-games-poor/

Washington post: Why you should never, ever play the lottery

"What if I told you there was a $70 billion tax that the poor pay the most. You'd probably say that isn't very fair. But that's exactly what the lottery is: an almost 12-figure tax on the desperation of the least fortunate.

To put that in perspective, that's $300 worth of lottery tickets for every adult every year. But it's actually worse than that, because, as The Atlantic's Derek Thompson points out, researchers have found that the bottom third of households buy more than half of all tickets. So that means households making less than $28,000 a year are dishing out $450 a year on lotteries. And, as a result, everybody else doesn't have to pay the higher taxes they would if gaming revenues weren't underwriting our schools."

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...y-the-lottery/
Old 06-06-2016, 02:33 PM
$ Saving College Senior

Forum Posts: 1,969

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHusker View Post
As as been mentioned before, the word "retirement" is about as ambiguous a term as "the stock market."

Retirement for me came three years ago at age 46. I have two businesses that I spend a few hours a week on, plus 4 vacation home rentals.

Real estate investments rents/yields from land, houses, commercial, retail, etc., generally are a multiple of what you can achieve with bonds and CDs.

If you aren't yielding 8-10 percent annual with real estate, something is way out of whack.

Hard assets and natural resources should certainly be a part of everyone's portfolio. Coal, agri, gold, silver, and oil are all good places to start. The long term horizon on all natural resources is definitely UP, simply because the world population is exploding and there is more and more demand (long term) on fewer resources.

Another staple is Phillip Morris. Have you looked at a 30 year chart of PM lately? People are going to keep smoking. That one is a no-brainer. It pays a 4% dividend at the current price.

Lots of options out there for GOOD, SUSTAINABLE income.
I could still not buy it in good conscience. That said, since I buy total market index funds, I own a tiny sliver of Phillip Morris. I would much rather not.
sv2007 likes this.