Saving Advice Forums  

Go Back   Saving Advice Forums > Financial Chit Chat > General Discussion

General Discussion Please read our Forum Rules before posting
Feel free to talk about anything and everything about money.

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-11-2017, 01:50 PM
$ Saving College Junior

Forum Posts: 1,178
Default anyone buying anything on Prime Day?

I don't think I am. The only thing I;m considering are the amazon $25 GCs with a bonus $5

my friend got a great deal on an 8 qt Instapot
Old 07-11-2017, 02:07 PM
$ Saving College Sophomore

Forum Posts: 773

nope. doesn't really make sense to buy stuff unless you really want it, discount or not. And I figure, if you really wanted something, you'd probably have bought it already.

it's funny, people would go shopping, and spend a ton of money, and tell me, "look! I shopped all day, bought a bunch of items on sale, and saved $100 today." To which I reply, "no you didn't. You SPENT $200."
Old 07-11-2017, 04:21 PM
Super Moderator

Forum Posts: 26,091

Nope. Not the least bit interested. We shop on Amazon all the time - when there's something we need. We don't shop recreationally.

* Despite the high cost of living, it remains very popular.
* Why should I pay for my daughter's education when she already knows everything?
* There are no shortcuts to anywhere worth going.
Old 07-11-2017, 05:06 PM
$ Saving College Freshman

Forum Posts: 596

I got a free month of Prime a few days ago, so I got a few useful things. I got solar binoculars for the eclipse and a few handheld rechargeable fans for when we are forced to go to Great America later this month. I bought a cat tree for my cats for Christmas and Rosetta Stone in Spanish for my daughter. She is taking high school level Spanish next year (next month, really!) and she doesn't know anything. I wish her good luck.

I tracked a few things that I had already purchased in the last few weeks, just to see if they went down a lot. They did not. Two things off of the top of my head were the exact same price when I bought them two weeks ago.
Old 07-11-2017, 05:54 PM

Forum Posts: 527

One of my daughters rented her textbooks for Fall semester today on Amazon, but not sure if they were any cheaper for prime day but she got a good deal compared to her book store, of course.
Old 07-11-2017, 06:01 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrif-t View Post
One of my daughters rented her textbooks for Fall semester today on Amazon, but not sure if they were any cheaper for prime day but she got a good deal compared to her book store, of course.
OT, but DD has rented only 2 books in her 3 years of college. We just haven't found rental prices to be better than buying used (or even new) and reselling at the end of the semester.

* Why should I pay for my daughter's education when she already knows everything?
Old 07-11-2017, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneysteve View Post
OT, but DD has rented only 2 books in her 3 years of college. We just haven't found rental prices to be better than buying used (or even new) and reselling at the end of the semester.
I know you're lucky!! I think it's the major. My DD is a nursing major and had a $400 book that she could sell back to the bookstore for $15. We could only buy it from the book store cause the prof wrote it(oh and there were only new ones!). She was able to use it two semesters. She is going to sell it to another student when she gets back to school.

This coming semester she's been able to rent 5 books for $141. I don't have the figures in front of me but it was way cheaper than the book store. Plus Barnes & Nobles(schools bookstore) does the old switcheroo with you. You look at their site think you are renting or buying used but then when your books come in you get a new book because, oh they didn't have any more of what you ordered. I'm like really we ordered in July? Isn't it first come first served? Well long story short their inventory is not in real time on line so they could've had a used book at some point but it doesn't mean its actually there when you're ordering it. They do have a disclaimer that says you might get something different than what you ordered. I just didn't think that would happen.

We just rent from amazon because its easy and we feel confident that we will get the exact books needed. But we have noticed the closer to school starting the higher the price of the books go whether at B&N or Amazon, so we always order in July for the cheapest prices.

And the whole price match thing that B&N does is a ploy too. You have to bring up the amazon site on your phone and the book has to be in stock and at a lower price at that moment. Well by the time you get back to school the books are sold out or back ordered on amazon so then they can't price match. Which I guess makes sense but I just didn't "think" of that happening when we got DD books from B&N last year. I printed out all the prices from Amazon showing they where cheaper expecting to get a refund, but nope no refund because not cheaper at that moment in time.

They won't fool me again!!

Last edited by Thrif-t; 07-11-2017 at 06:51 PM.
Old 07-11-2017, 06:46 PM

Default Sorry to Hijack this gets me so worked up!

Example of book prices from B&N

MICROBIOLOGY:SYSTEMS APPROACH

from $111.70 - $266.00
SELECT FORMAT
RENT USED $111.70
(Return by 12/16/2017) SAVE
58%
RENT NEW $239.40
(Return by 12/16/2017)
BUY USED $199.50
BUY NEW $266.00
RENT DIGITAL $125.25
BUY DIGITAL $160.20

and here's the price from AMAZON:

Microbiology: A Systems
$ 36.97 to rent
$ 126.95 to buy
Old 07-12-2017, 02:56 AM
$ Saving First Grader

Forum Posts: 7

I read and article yesterday "
Amazonís Prime Day event could lead to $10 billion in lost productivity" but this assumes that people spend time on this specifically when they should be working, and that people work non-stop and use every single minute of the day. Maybe they're doing it on break, maybe they're doing it after work. Hell, if everyone stopped washing hands after bathroom breaks, that can ADD $10 billion in productivity. And oh ****, i just spent a minute to post this comment!
I really don't put weight on "studies" like this - it's only an academic exercise that only include factors that produce a large number for consumption.
clatoden99 and Sam1000 like this.
Old 07-12-2017, 03:43 AM
Administrator

Forum Posts: 5,690

No. No shopping yesterday for me.
Old 07-12-2017, 06:29 AM

Forum Posts: 790

There were a handful of items that I held off on buying to see if they'd be cheaper on Prime Day. None of the prices dropped, but Amazon Visa offered 20% cash back instead of the normal 5%, which made it worth the wait.

The only thing I found on sale that I wouldn't otherwise have bought was jean shorts for my daughter. She only had two other pairs of shorts that went with anything, so another pair will be a welcome addition. It was $3 for a pair in her size and $5 for the next size up, so I bought one of each.
Old 07-12-2017, 06:46 AM
$ Saving Assistant Professor

Forum Posts: 4,559

Some of their Amazon streaming TV shows were around 70% off, so we bought a couple of seasons of TV shows. Wasn't interested in paying full price (we could wait to watch later), but willing to splurge at this price point.
Old 07-12-2017, 09:53 AM
$ Saving Assistant Professor

Forum Posts: 3,699

I'll at least go look at my wish list and see if there's anything I'd want to pick up today. Some things have been on that list for years, because they are not currently being produced, or because I'm waiting to find it --especially older books-- at a superb price. Lately, I've found some of my wish list books at the thrift store. Maybe I should order a bookcase. Anyone else still read paper books? I think this tags me as old, doesn't it?

"It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men." --Frederick Douglass
Old 07-12-2017, 12:35 PM
Administrator

Forum Posts: 5,690

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joan.of.the.Arch View Post
I'll at least go look at my wish list and see if there's anything I'd want to pick up today. Some things have been on that list for years, because they are not currently being produced, or because I'm waiting to find it --especially older books-- at a superb price. Lately, I've found some of my wish list books at the thrift store. Maybe I should order a bookcase. Anyone else still read paper books? I think this tags me as old, doesn't it?
I love paper books. It's more relaxing to me than staring at a screen.
Old 07-12-2017, 01:17 PM

Forum Posts: 773

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjl584 View Post
I love paper books. It's more relaxing to me than staring at a screen.
Same. I'm considered the oldest of the millennials, so not super comfortable with reading on electronic devices. I grew up with books, that's what I'm most comfortable with.
Old 07-12-2017, 01:38 PM
$ Saving College Senior

Forum Posts: 1,633

I bought 3 things. I bought a $25.00 gift card for which I would get a $5.00 bonus. I used the GC to buy an item that I needed (but not on sale).
The 3rd item was something I have wanted for a long time, but I felt it was too expensive and decided to wait until it was on sale. It was 50% off, so I bought it.
Old 07-12-2017, 01:51 PM
$ Saving College Junior

Forum Posts: 1,245

Got myself an Oculus Rift combo pack a day prior to Prime day. Can't pass it up for only 400 bucks. Time to finally leave this planet suckas!
Old 07-12-2017, 02:11 PM
$ Saving College Junior

I had to google that one!
Old 07-12-2017, 05:30 PM
$ Saving College Junior

double post

how do you guys know what books your kids will need in July?

Last edited by FLA; 07-12-2017 at 05:34 PM.
Old 07-12-2017, 05:58 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLA View Post
how do you guys know what books your kids will need in July?
We knew in June. She selects her fall courses in March but the book list doesn't usually get posted until after the spring semester is over. So by mid June typically.
FLA likes this.