Saving Advice Forums  

Go Back   Saving Advice Forums > Financial Chit Chat > General Discussion

General Discussion Please read our Forum Rules before posting
Feel free to talk about anything and everything about money.

Like Tree9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-11-2017, 12:22 PM
$ Saving First Grader

Forum Posts: 9
Default Old threads

Hello all. I'm new to the forum and have taken a few hours to read through many posts. I did have a question though - do I need to enable something in my profile to see the older threads? For instance, the Debt section lists more than 1000 threads, but I only see 2 pages worth of threads back to Jan 2016. Are threads = posts? Thanks.
Old 01-11-2017, 01:00 PM

Forum Posts: 990

Welcome to the forums!

Due to needing to control spamming and people pulling up old threads instead of starting new ones we have limited being able to see older threads until you have reached a certain posting limit, or time with the forums. I believe that is the new rule. Need another mod to chime in since I am not sure. You are the first to ask since they started making changes.

My suggestion is for you to ask questions in new threads so we can help give updated and possibly more relevant(to you) answers.

I could agree with you, but then we'd both be wrong.
Old 01-11-2017, 01:03 PM
$ Saving First Grader

Thanks for the reply. I enjoy reading the older threads and watching how they end over a period of time. I have also read a few things about the order of paying off debts and saving that I hadn't considered before.
Old 01-11-2017, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbow2000 View Post
Thanks for the reply. I enjoy reading the older threads and watching how they end over a period of time. I have also read a few things about the order of paying off debts and saving that I hadn't considered before.
Such as? I'd be interested to hear how you originally thought of paying them, and then what you learned while reading on this site.

It's why we are here, after all. To learn.

Old 01-11-2017, 01:40 PM
$ Saving First Grader

One that comes to mind was the suggestion to not pay over your company's match on 401k initially, but to put effort to fully funding a Roth IRA and then return back to the 401k to max it out. Another suggestion I saw was to also cut deposits to 401k at the company match and then work to pay off any debt with over 5% interest.
Old 01-11-2017, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbow2000 View Post
One that comes to mind was the suggestion to not pay over your company's match on 401k initially, but to put effort to fully funding a Roth IRA and then return back to the 401k to max it out. Another suggestion I saw was to also cut deposits to 401k at the company match and then work to pay off any debt with over 5% interest.
Not to sound insulting, but do you understand why? It's great to learn a new idea, but it's better to learn why to apply the understanding to other situations later on. It's how you get financially wise rather than just following someone's advice.

Similar to why I believe people should learn the basic concepts of a whole/universal/variable vs term life insurance policy. You can take our word for it to only buy term, but a whole life agent might come along and paint a pretty picture steering you in the wrong direction.

Old 01-12-2017, 03:09 AM
Administrator

Forum Posts: 5,618

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodSteward View Post
Welcome to the forums!

Due to needing to control spamming and people pulling up old threads instead of starting new ones we have limited being able to see older threads until you have reached a certain posting limit, or time with the forums. I believe that is the new rule. Need another mod to chime in since I am not sure. You are the first to ask since they started making changes.

My suggestion is for you to ask questions in new threads so we can help give updated and possibly more relevant(to you) answers.
You need to have 1000 posts or be a member for at least 1 year (which ever comes first) before you can see all of the threads.
GoodSteward likes this.
Old 01-12-2017, 05:04 AM
$ Saving College Senior

Forum Posts: 1,566

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjl584 View Post
You need to have 1000 posts or be a member for at least 1 year (which ever comes first) before you can see all of the threads.
Thank god. By that time any troll that wants to cause havoc will give up and move on.
GrimJack likes this.
Old 01-12-2017, 05:22 AM
Administrator

Forum Posts: 5,618

Quote:
Originally Posted by rennigade View Post
Thank god. By that time any troll that wants to cause havoc will give up and move on.
We will be updating the forums soon to new software. Part of that update will also include a feature where the first 5 posts from a new member will have to be approved by a Mod before it will appear on the boards. That should almost totally eliminate all spam.
Old 01-12-2017, 06:03 AM
Banned

Forum Posts: 1,272

Quote:
You think so?
Old 01-12-2017, 06:04 AM
Banned

Quote:
Perhaps, perhaps not!
Old 01-12-2017, 06:05 AM
Banned

Quote:
350 to go!
rennigade likes this.
Old 01-12-2017, 06:06 AM
Super Moderator

Forum Posts: 25,517

Quote:
Originally Posted by StormRichards View Post
You think so?
Do you think someone will make 1,000 legit posts just to then start posting spam?

* Despite the high cost of living, it remains very popular.
* Why should I pay for my daughter's education when she already knows everything?
* There are no shortcuts to anywhere worth going.
Old 01-12-2017, 06:14 AM
$ Saving College Senior

Forum Posts: 1,566

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneysteve View Post
Do you think someone will make 1,000 legit posts just to then start posting spam?
Never under estimate a raging troll.
GoodSteward likes this.
Old 01-12-2017, 06:23 AM

Quote:
Never under estimate a raging troll.
or someone desperate to sell their whole life insurance, or save you millions by using their financial services.

Old 01-12-2017, 06:33 AM
Banned

Old 01-12-2017, 01:11 PM
$ Saving First Grader

I see from some other posts that there were problems with spam, but 1000 posts seems excessive just to see old posts. I guess I don't understand the relationship between those two things. Those spam problems must have been really bad.

I understand having minimum post requirements though. I've been on a few car forums and they keep them in place to keep people from making fraudulent posts in the classified sections.

With my level of posting, I will more than likely reach a year before I reach 1000 posts.
Old 01-23-2017, 06:20 PM
$ Saving College Sophomore

Forum Posts: 821

Quote:
Hah! I am still here - heh,heh
Old 01-24-2017, 07:19 AM
$ Saving First Grader

I think people would be willing to pay a small fee to show that they were a "real" user, just to access the older threads. Has that been discussed in the past?